“A little luxury on a university campus”

West Coast Suites at UBC
Ranked #63 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Accra, Greater Accra, Ghana
“A little luxury on a university campus”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My sister and I stayed at West Coast Suites because we needed a two-bedroom option. She stayed in the bedroom and I on the sofa bed in the living room. For university accommodation, the apartment was well furnished and nicely decorated. Hair dryer, iron and even an chess set was provided. The toiletries in the bathroom were of good quality. We stayed for 3 days and really enjoyed the benefits of an apartment, fully equipped. Breakfast was included -- it was cafeteria style but we really enjoyed the food, which was plentiful. We paid extra for parking, which wasn't great, but at $9 per day, who can complain. Service was unobtrusive. We thought it a good deal. The campus provides lovely walks, museums and some modest but good restaurants. We took my step-daughter to school and were happy to stay on campus.

Room Tip: The location of West Coast Suites is quite private, but probably better to stay in rooms on the othe...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Nancy D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Korean first
Toronto
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Stayed for one night at the West Coast Suites on the UBC campus while visiting our son & wish we'd booked for longer. Clean, comfortable, easy to find, helpful check in. My husband & I found the king sized bed incredibly comfy & our teenage daughter (who likes her sleep) found the pull out couch one of the best beds she'd slept on in our 10 day trip! I had read in other reviews that these apartments were too hot - however, the large ceiling fan in the bedroom & the other table fans that were in the closets were more than enough to keep us cool in late July. We didn't try the breakfast which was included in the room rate, but there was Starbucks coffee in the kitchenette and a fantastic coffee shop - The Great Dane - just around the corner. If all 3 of us were visiting for longer, I might consider trying to book a 2 bedroom apartment, to give our daughter a bit more privacy - but all in all, a great find & very good value for money.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Upstate NY
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Corey at the front desk was super helpful printing our boarding passes at this late hour (ten thirty!) while handling other issues, all with a cheerful demeanor! Thank you.

The bed was comfy, the shower was great, the kitchen was convenient and useful, breakfast in the morning at the Spirit Dining Hall was pretty good (though they should truly cook the bacon so it is crisp, for future reference!), and the location was ideal to visit family nearby without having to deal with crazy traffic of downtown.

The room IS hot, so the fan and ceiling fan were perfect and we opened a window at night to let in cool breezes. There is NO AC anywhere, so it's important to keep that in mind and dress accordingly during warmer weather here. FANS are a must.

Room Tip: Super warm during the day in the summer time so be sure to request a room shaded by trees if at all...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 6 July 2013

This is rather late, but myself and three others stayed at the WCS for five days and frankly, I want my $1180.00 back. We decided that this location was the most favourable given we we're attending a convention across the road at the Student Union building and upon arrival things started to go down hill. The guest service was polite when I came to the desk but their reservations department had failed to inform us that we had to pay another $180.00 dollars on top of the $1100.00 that was PRE-PAID for the room as deposit and to park out vehicles. I was told that if the room was tidy and undamaged I would get my deposit back. Surprise, surprise, I did not.
Once we arrived in the room we quickly found no air conditioning other than being able to open the patio door and point a fan into the room. When one of my room mates went to use the washroom, we found that one of the light bulbs had burnt out, no problem, we called the front desk and informed them of the problem, letting them know we would be out of the room to majority of the day and they could access to room to change it. Not once while we were there was the bulb changed. So we had a dark bathroom to get ready and attempt to do make up in, we gave up on this after one day and did all our preparations on the floor in the kitchenette. My room mates had agreed to take the pull out bed in the "living room" but were unable to sleep due to the thinness of the mattress and the cacophony of noise it made heaven forbid someone roll over.
Check out was a joke, I had informed the lady at the desk that we would be checking out rather early in the morning and she assured me that it would not be a problem. I stood at the desk for 15 minutes before someone came out of the back office.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone unless you're willing to dish out the money for a mediocre stay.

Room Tip: "Bring your own mattress."
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Duncan BC
Reviewed 4 July 2013

So unhappy at this moment! Currently here and it is a great location for the swim meet but for the cost it's not worth it. Problem 1. When I booked ( over 4 months ago) listed 2Adults and 2children confirmation came as 1Adult after a LONG while on the phone 3different times this was NEVER corrected and check in was "fun" with that. Problem 2. Requested a " quiet room" not on 1 st floor top if possible - well you guessed it here I sit in a bottom floor location facing the parking lot and busy road! NOT HAPPY Problem 3. No Airconditioning!!!!! It's HOT in here! Beware! Problem 4. Small pull out - this place is for 4 and it barly fits 3. Problem 5. Not enough towels in the room -call to front we have to go get them - walk there ( oh their all out of them!) Problem 6. Pay parking not included in room! I knew this coming I just think when you are paying 220.00 a night it should at least for a non air conditioned room include parking! Not to mention web site states 9.00 a day for parking...... It's actually 11.50 and when I asked why? I was told there was taxes on parking charges! All in all it is a great location for swimming but not exactly what we thought it would be.

• Stayed July 2013
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 1 July 2013

The hotel is ideally located if you attend events at UBC and not only. Also some other interesting things nearby (the UBC beaches, some musea, the botanical garden). Good connection to the downtown (though it takes some 30-40 min) and to the airport (20 min by bus + 20 min with the SkyTrain). After seeing the surroundings, we would next time prefer this location to the downtown hotels even if we would not have to attend an UBC event. Much quieter and relaxing.

The suites are very comfortable, clean, and well equiped. The bed was extremely comfortable so you are sure to have a good night sleep. The breakfast was not the best, but you do have a coffee maker in your room and several Starbucks/Tim Hortons nearby, so you can easily find alternatives. Limited dinner options nearby so the easiest is to take the 4 or 99 bus to Granville Str and explore from there. The closest real supermarket is located in the Westbrook village (20 min walk or 5-10 min by bus). There is also a supermarket a few stations towards the downtown (with the number 14 bus). There are some convenience shops in the UBC campus.

Good value if you stay with more than 2 people, for a double room you can probably end up cheaper at the Gage appartments nearby (if not sold out).

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank tetra29
Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

Our daughter was graduating from UBC with an 8:30 convocation time so we decided to stay on campus at the West Coast Suites. Very convenient, within walking distance to the auditorium. Room was a good sized suite with a full kitchen if needed and a private bedroom. It was clean and comfortable as well as reasonably priced for Vancouver. I would not give it 5 stars as it had a bit of dirty carpet smell in the hallways.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family