“The most interesting beach I ever visited !”
Review of Wreck Beach

Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“The most interesting beach I ever visited !”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

This is a very interesting beach. There are stairs to the beach, but dense trees obscure the beach and the tail end of the stairs and we were staggered to find the number of stairs to be 490. It was summer and the beach was quite crowded. Water although apparently cold, actually felt quite comfortable once we got into it. This is a clothing optional beach shared harmoniously by nude and semi-nude people alike. We also saw some people had brought their kids who were playing among the nude people of all ages. I wonder what perceptions are being created in them. Also, it was very annoying to find a few fully clothed people prying at the naked people relaxing on the beach. However, we truly enjoyed being at this beach and we wish we could spend some more time here !

Visited July 2014
1 Thank travellalone

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Stunning, quiet beach”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I had heard a lot about this beach in Vancouver and decided to check it out for myself, because a) I love the beach b) I have never been to a nude beach before and want to see what it was like (out of curiosity). The beach is really a gem. It is tucked away from the city (by the University of British Columbia), which is neat.

Getting there can be a pain though. You have to go down like 500 steps to get to the beach but it's all worth it. The view down there is spectacular. I had planned on only staying for half an hour, take pictures and leave, but ended up staying there for a couple of hours. The atmosphere at the beach is really zen; it is really quiet and one can just sit there, chill and meditate. The only disruption or noise came from some people playing Frisbee, but they kept to themselves.

Although this place is advertised as a nude beach, I didn't see any naked people while I was there. Maybe it was because of the timing I went at, or I don’t know. I guess I have no other choice but to go back!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Stephanie Y
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Beautiful Beach”
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

You can catch a bus from Downtown that takes you to the UBC bus loop so you get to admire the beautiful campus as you make your way to the beach. The beach itself is very nice, soft sand with minimal rock and debris and the water is not too deep. The water wasn't too cold either. Everyone seemed friendly and totally relaxed. There were even a few families there. The walk back up the stairs throws your relaxing day out the window but it is a good workout. I will definitely visit again.

2 Thank Trista L
Cincinnati, Ohio
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 229 helpful votes
“One of our favorite beaches in the world”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

My partner and I go to Wreck Beach every trip to Vancouver, a yearly event now. It is a clothing-optional beach -- in the most stunning physical setting. There is pristine blue water ahead. Across the water, on a clear day, you can see the mountains of Vancouver Island and even the Olympic Mountains in northwest Washington State. To the north, you can see the mountains of the Sunshine Coast and north of the city, including the Lions. And above you is the heavily forested cliffs you descended, with bald eagles nesting (and always flying) in the trees at the top of the crest! It's spectacular!

It's also not for perfect bodies only (we're anything but). Some are clothed, some are not, and it's an easy-going, friendly atmosphere, including for families with kids. It's not swarming with sexual activity -- in fact, that is hugely frowned on and will be called out.

The place does have people using pot and selling other stuff, including mushrooms, so that may be an issue for some.

But it is peaceful, fun, easy, and we love it. It is incredibly relaxing.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank Douglas D
Vancouver, Canada
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Just another overly commercialized beach”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Wreck Beach used to be a quiet beach for all to enjoy but, over time, it has become too commercialized for our taste. And there is always someone who seems to be peddling a cause and seeking approval for it. Access is also an issue for young children and those with mobility issues.

Visited June 2014