“Stairs nearly killed me.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Wreck Beach

Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Calgary, Canada
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Stairs nearly killed me.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

First off, this is a nude beach. You do not have to be nude, but others have the option to. You see it all, older people, children, teens and adults all baring it in the sand.

I found this beach to have the nicest sand and general atmosphere. You do not find a lot of boisterous families here, causing problems like monopolizing areas.

There is roughly 400 stairs to get down to the beach and parking is limited. Coming up the stairs can be hard in the heat.

The beach is serviced by some merchants and has bathrooms and change rooms.

All in all, if you are cool with the nudie part. Its one of the best beaches in Vancouver.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Tucson, Arizona
909 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2,069 helpful votes
“Secluded and Popular in Summer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Myriad sun bathers -- adults and children -- flock in summer to the sandy stretch of Wreck Beach that is accessed from Trail 6 near the Museum of Anthropology. The water is invigorating and the views of mountains and distant islands, lovely. But the big attraction for many is the opportunity to go " natural" at this clothing-optional beach. When I've been there in summer, I estimate that at least 60 percent of the people have shed their clothes.

This part of Wreck Beach is too crowded for me. In addition to those sprawled on the sand or testing the water, there are vendors at small stands, selling a variety of items, from souvenirs to ice cream. Loud music sometimes rides the air and can become annoying. Dogs, however, do not contribute to the ambiance. They are prohibited from May 1-Sep. 30.

Access to this stretch involves a steep descent through a dense rainforest via about 500 wooden steps, which may be unsuitable for some children and anyone with mobility problems. It takes about 10 minutes to reach the beach. Returning can be a strenuous climb. Take it slowly and be sure to bring water in the summer; but leave your camera at home. And be sure to heed "Clothes Beyond This Point" signs. Clothing optional does not extend to trails in the area, though I have run into a few people near other Wreck Beach areas, who chose to ignore that regulation.

Parking is almost impossible to find near the Trail 6 area of Wreck Beach. I recommend taking a public bus. The beach is about 25 minutes from Downtown Vancouver.

1 Thank Rumples
Edmonton, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Bumming Around”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

This great spot minutes from downtown Vancouver is a jewel in our worldly travels, you don't have to be a nudist to enjoy this incredible world class secluded beach, although at least top less for gals is recommended. Being an ex police officer I had my druthers about ever going there..but...so glad I caved in and experienced this unique bit of Canadian culture.
A cool adventure to share with your gal or guy in a totally safe environment. Bring anything you want to enjoy a beach day with extra sunscreen, water is great for swimming, but be ready to pee in the tall grass..you can purchase food or beers, remember the hike back up to the top of the beach is very strenuous, be prepared. Go check it out, be cool, enjoy a new experience. Remember you only live once. What can it hurt? Me 60 wife 50...hooray!

Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“The most interesting beach I ever visited !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

This is a very interesting beach. There are stairs to the beach, but dense trees obscure the beach and the tail end of the stairs and we were staggered to find the number of stairs to be 490. It was summer and the beach was quite crowded. Water although apparently cold, actually felt quite comfortable once we got into it. This is a clothing optional beach shared harmoniously by nude and semi-nude people alike. We also saw some people had brought their kids who were playing among the nude people of all ages. I wonder what perceptions are being created in them. Also, it was very annoying to find a few fully clothed people prying at the naked people relaxing on the beach. However, we truly enjoyed being at this beach and we wish we could spend some more time here !

1 Thank travellalone
San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Stunning, quiet beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I had heard a lot about this beach in Vancouver and decided to check it out for myself, because a) I love the beach b) I have never been to a nude beach before and want to see what it was like (out of curiosity). The beach is really a gem. It is tucked away from the city (by the University of British Columbia), which is neat.

Getting there can be a pain though. You have to go down like 500 steps to get to the beach but it's all worth it. The view down there is spectacular. I had planned on only staying for half an hour, take pictures and leave, but ended up staying there for a couple of hours. The atmosphere at the beach is really zen; it is really quiet and one can just sit there, chill and meditate. The only disruption or noise came from some people playing Frisbee, but they kept to themselves.

Although this place is advertised as a nude beach, I didn't see any naked people while I was there. Maybe it was because of the timing I went at, or I don’t know. I guess I have no other choice but to go back!

1 Thank Stephanie Y