“Ok, if you are the one downstairs in the club until 5 am...otherwise forget it!”

Cambie Hostel - Seymour
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2011

My first mistake was staying here on a Saturday night. I'll admit that. But don't even think about sleeping here until 4am. The walls are paper thin and you hear every footstep in the corridors. Wearing earplugs didn't help because the music from the band playing in the club 2 floors below vibrated the entire building. The rooms are tiny and cramped. It is conveniently located within walking distance of the subway, and I suppose if you are one of the revelers in the club downstairs you might find it quite convenient to just walk up a flight of stairs to your room. But I would not recommend this place for anyone else. The front desk staff were helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: as far away from the club downstairs as possible
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 3 February 2011

Stayed here for one night before we moved into permanent accommodation.We got a private double room ( 1 bunk bed), we ended up sleeping in the same bottom bunk as there was no heat in the room (202) so we had to combine our body heat to keep warm.

I was afraid of falling out of the top bunk if i had decided to sleep there as there was no rails / border around it and I had a few drinks so wasn't risking it ;)

There's a pub below but you can't hear it if your on the 2nd floor so my advice is if you want a quiet (ish) sleep go on the 2nd otherwise you hear everything on the floor below.

Can't say too much else about the place because we were only there 1 night but it's fine short term or if your making a pitstop.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 July 2010

The Cambie was really not the best place to ground myslef in Vancouver after a very long flight. I was particularly jetlagged and looking for a comfortable bed and a hot shower. I did not find either of these things here.
The staff appeared to be uninterested and not very helpful. They ceased to give me a run down of the facilities when I checked in and provided limited information when asked about where to find things around the area.
The rooms were very small and dirty with terrible linen. The mattress looked a million years old and was all springs...
The bathroom was not well cleaned and provided little privacy. The hot water supply was also very limited.
The noise from the downstairs bar echoed throughout the hostel and all the doors banged when left to close.
The muffin breakfast was ok and fine if you couldnt be bothered going to find somewhere to fill your stomach.
Limited facilities provided considering that it was in a hot spot of central Vancouver.
Only positive thing was the price and even then it was excessive for what it provided.
The location is its biggest seller and someone could make this hostel a boomer!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

California
Reviewed 9 April 2010

Stayed here for the Olympics with a large group. Despite emailing numerous times they FORGOT to reserve my room... leaving me to look for a room at 11pm on the day of my arrival! Desk staff could not possibly be less helpful (his nicknames is "shady," really), we then stayed for 6 days (no other choice believe me) I would describe the rooms as jailcell-esque. After my stay the management will not even return my emails! Embarrassing facility within a wonderful city.

• Stayed February 2010
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 September 2009

We stayed here three nights on first arriving from nz. It was easy to get to and was fine for us. room was clean, staff were helpful. the internet was down while we were there which was a pain but there were plenty of other free networks to bludge off. the pub underneath was handy, a beer at the end of a long day walking stanley park was great. I imagine that if you are here on a weekend it could get very loud though. for the money, not bad.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Worksop
Reviewed 27 July 2008

My god where do I start. This is the most disgusting hostel I have ever seen. We stayed here for 5 nights last week. Problems started straight away. The persn checking us in was ore bothered about her conversation and looked at us like we wer aliens!

My partner and I shared a double room which consisted of a double bed that had nail clippings and unknown hair in it, and a table rammed into a single room. This was beyond basic, no mirrors, stripped floorboards, disgusting unpainted walls. There was dirt and dust where you really wouldn't expect to find it.

The first night was horrible we didn't get to sleep until 4am due to the VERY loud bar downstairs and the traffic going past the room and noisy, drunken louts outside. This continued every night for 4 nights. Expect no sleep and if you do manage a little expect to be woken up by the maid with her mp3 player on loudspeaker. She seems to only pace the hall outside making as much noise as possible. Our room wasn't cleaned once! The only person who tried to get in was a Russian bloke who unlocked the door whilst my boyfriend was in bed and tried to barge in. Luckily my boyfriend blocked him.

The bathrooms were like something out of a horror story! No locks on the doors, blood, hair and god know's what else in the bottom of the shower trays. Expect no privacy and either freezing water or water hot enough to skin you. There are also only 2 showers and 2 toilets (in the same room) per floor.

If disgusting rooms, unfriendly staff, horrible restrooms and music till 4am doesn't put you off this hostel on our last night a mouse ran out of one of the many holes in the wall, explains the scurrying we heard every night!!!!

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — Checking in, the mice, unclean
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank claire_pinkprincess
Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 June 2007

This is one of the worst hostels ive stayed in....the noise level is very high. Music from the bar till late at night and for some reason from half 9 in the morning even tho the bar is not open. I'm suprised at the lack of consideration for guests. The rooms and linen are clean. The hostel is in a good location. The bathrooms are not ideal....

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noisy
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank laineyj