“loud, dirty and smelly”

Cambie Hostel Gastown
Reviewed 13 May 2010

I didn't want to believe the reviews but at this place you really get what you pay for. the beds have clean sheets but remnants of previous guests are plentiful on the blankets. the bar downstairs is incredibly loud. the hallways smell of old feet which is unsuccessfully masked every morning by a cleaner wiping the floors with chlorine. the showers and toilets are ok-ish if you are lucky. the breakfast muffins and coffee in the next door cafe are nice but to be honest, can get that anywhere...
the hostel is at the corner to hastings street which is really very unpleasant due to it being the main area for tramps/drug addicts. heard shouting and trolleys being rolled down the street at night.
not a pleasant couple of nights and to top it off I found a bug fully loaded with blood in the bed on the last morning - safe to say that we will not be back.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank muffel2112

Reviewed 9 March 2010

My two girlfriends and I (all mothers in our early 30’s) wanted to experience something we've never experienced before so when planning a trip to Vancouver, B.C. (we're from Spokane, WA - USA) we decided we wanted to try out a hostel. We were truly walking into the Gastown Cambie totally blind with the exception of reviewing their website! We'd never even stepped foot in Vancouver before. We knew there was a bar on the first floor and since this was an "all girls party trip" we figured this would be our best bet to have a good time. They didn't disappoint! What an amazing experience! We found it was such a great "melting pot" of people. We met wonderful people from all over the world. The staff was SO friendly and helpful! We were really surprised on how secure the building was. Not only do they have security guys posted throughout the evening hours, they also have card key access to the upper floors where the rooms are. There was always someone at the front desk to greet people, too. We really loved our whole experience in Vancouver, but our stay at the Cambie was the highlight! We are planning to go back this coming May for another girls weekend!
I would recommend this location to people that are looking to have a fun time with a young, hip, open group of people. You would also have to be prepared to share accommodations (i.e. - bathrooms/showers, etc) with others outside of your group. If you're good with that you're guaranteed a great experience!

Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 February 2009

I have to admit I am picky when it comes to cleanliness. But the rooms were clean, as well as the showers and washroom. We had a four person bedroom, it is small but totally ok for the price. Our room was pretty quiet, since we lived on the 2nd floor, and the room wasn't directed to the streets. The staff was nice and helpfull, the breakfast muffin as well as the whole breakfast were good.
You were just able to enter the hostel if you had a keycard, the hallways were equipped with security cameras, so pretty safe. If you check out and want to go to the city again, you can store your luggage in the secured luggage room.
All in all I can say that the Cambie Gastown was definitely better than expected (from the other reviews). And the location was nice, close to Gastown and the Waterfront.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 November 2008

Poor facilities and noisy at night time.
but breakfast was okay.

• Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed 23 July 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed in a private double room (shared bathroom) mid-week in July 2008. The room was very basic with a double width bunk-bed which was ok to sleep on.
We were told when we checked in not to leave anything in our car (parked on the street) because break-ins were pretty frequent. There were bars on our window and there were 4 key locks to get to our room from the street so our room seemed pretty safe (they also had lockers). It's certainly a great location if you want to be in the heart of Gastown - there were plenty of places to eat and drink within safe walking distance and the tour buses come right past. There are homeless/beggers/crazies on the streets but they seemed harmless enough.
The people at the front desk were really lovely and helpful and always had a smile. They had plentiful supplies of towels, toiletries, washing powder etc and we used the free internet from our room.
The bar downstairs is obviously a local favourite - large and always busy and loud - the noise was audible on the first floor but it didn't bother us. (and the pub serves fantastic burgers!)
Our main complaints were with the bathrooms. There was very little privacy and the showers themselves were tiny little cubicles with see-through screens and nowhere to put your stuff/towel without it getting wet or out in the open. Our room was really hot and the ktichen was run-down (electric kettle without a cord, microwave without a plate etc) and dirty so we were glad we didn't need to use it much.
In all, it wasn't terrible but we think we'll try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank feesos
Reviewed 6 May 2008

I loved the Cambie.

I'm a lone female traveler and found the Cambie a lovely funky refuge from the bustling depravity of the city.

There were some permanent residence in my room which was not so great but the cheap beer and food downstairs made up for it. The beds were more than generous and very comfortable.

Its an excellent place to meet people if you are traveling alone and a good place for groups and couples who enjoy a lively and cool place to hang out on a budget.

I've stayed at a couple of other hostels in Vancouver this one beats them all!!!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 September 2007

Now, granted, I was backpacking with two other guys, and we had been out in the woods for a week, but I enjoyed the Cambie. The location is fine for 3 guys, granted, it's a block from the no-go zone (especially at night), and you may get bugged for money outside the front door by some of the neighborhood less fortunates, but we really enjoyed our stay. We had a 4 bed room on the corner that overlooked the outside patio. Good view, although could be a little noisy.
Nobody seems to want to comment on the bathrooms, but I had no problems with them. I showered in them 3 times, and used the restroom and, as where it wasn't as clean as my house, it was fine for the purposes. The restroom in the bar is a completely different story. Don't use that one unless you're standing up.
The hotel staff was quite friendly with our group, and very accommodating.
It's not the Waldorf, but for the price, I'll definitely stay there next time I'm in Vancouver.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends