“Great place but horrible buffet!”

Hastings Park Racecourse
Ranked #99 of 347 things to do in Vancouver
Vancouver, Canada
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“Great place but horrible buffet!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

8 races with beautiful weather. Shaded stands and indoors providing comfort. Magnificent views of second narrows bridge, the mountains, the water, and beautiful racetrack. Many people were dressed casual, however quite.a few were dressed up. Wife n I dressed it and made a day of it. Took photos. Had drinks and bet on games. Drinks were not very expensive. Granville island honey lager was only $6.50. Minimum bets 2$ each race. Parking was easy but 10$. Entry to the track was free admission.

Sat inside 4th floor for buffet to watch a few of the rounds. Buffet was 22$ each. If u dont want buffet, theres a charge of 5$ to sit in here. I have to say the whole day was well worth the drive. Loved it at hastings horse track! The only upset was the enormous letdown of the buffet. This was the worst buffet ive ever been to. An elderly man I made conversation with was ckmplaining of the same thing. The food selection was dissapointing if not humiliating. Not worth the price of over 22 dollars each. Only 2 entree itema. Chicken n fish. And a fresh prime rib that a server would cut you. Else just salads crackers cheese desserts and breakfast items such as old waffles and oily bacon. At 230pm!!!??? Seriously?....poor selection. Mediocre quality of food. Would not eat buffet here ever again.

I highly recommend watching the races outdoors in bleechers or near the racecourse fence. Enjoy the ambience. Its like going back in time. Classic enjoyment. Avoid the buffet!

3 Thank An D

Keremeos
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great family day”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

What a great way to spend a scorching day in Vancouver! Reserve a table at Silks, sit in air conditioned comfort, enjoy the better than average buffet and watch the horses run. We even got to see the Weiner Dog Races! An event you do not want to miss!

Visited July 2014
San Diego
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Great racecourse”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Having only been to the Del Mar racetrack previously, I really did not know what to expect. This track was very nice and not nearly as crowded as Del Mar. The box seating for 6 was only $30 total for the day and included a server that came around for drinks and food. The window staff was very helpful for a guy like me who knows nothing about racing. Pretty track and we got great seats. A great time was had by all.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Jef M
Prince George, BC, CANADA
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“What a blast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

I have never been to the horse races before and now I am so glad I did. What a blast! We went for my cousins 30th birthday party and it was a great time had by all. I lost money but it was a great time betting on all my favourite horse names. There were a few food trucks there as well so it was fun checking those out for something to eat. Great atmosphere. My cousins that live in Vancouver go all the time they love it so much. A tip would be try to find parking outside the lot because it will save you $10

Visited September 2013
North Vancouver, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Great fun was had by all in a relaxed atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

5 of us (all women) reserved a private box (very reasonably priced) at Hastings Park on a beautiful sunny afternoon. We were directly at the finish line!! Did we have fun? You betcha!
What really impressed us was the fabulous staff...Right from the beginning, we were led to our private box , given free programs, and were given tips on how to bet by another attendant.
Lunch in Silks provided us with tasty food to keep us going for the afternoon. However, two of us missed the 4pm deadline for dessert...and when we told them our predicament, a chef came out with a plate of fabulous dessert!!
The staff at Hastings Park really are incredible....We all hope that this venue never closes down!!

Visited June 2013