“Fun Amusement Park!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Playland

Playland
Ranked #98 of 345 things to do in Vancouver
More attraction details
Owner description: Playland is part of the PNE (Pacific National Exhibition) fairgrounds in Vancouver and is BC's most famous amusement park. Playland features exhilarating rides and attractions, exciting midway games, mini-golf, a climbing wall, arcade and a variety of delicious food. Playland offers over 30 rides and attractions, including three exciting roller coasters. One of the most loved and talked about attractions at Playland is the historic Wooden Roller Coaster. This spectacular coaster has been operating at the park since 1958 and is cited as a "Coaster Classic" by the American Coaster Enthusiasts organization, which is an honour shared by only 22 other wooden coasters in the world. For the more adventurous visitors, there is the Corkscrew roller coaster which takes thrill-seekers upside down with a double helix inversion and the extreme swing ride Atmosfear, which takes you up 218 feet in the air while spinning 70km/hour. And new to Playland this year is The Beast, an extreme thrill ride that will have you screaming in terror before you even get strapped in! For those wanting a slower pace, there's a variety of rides including the Westcoast Wheel, a ferris wheel that gives you views of the entire city. Unique to Playland is Kids Playce, an area designated for parents and families with children between the ages of 2-10. Kids Playce provides the perfect setting for families looking to spend some time together in a clean, safe and kid-friendly environment. In 2013, two new rides were added to Kids Playce: Teacups and Balloon Explorers. Playland is open from May to September. In October, Fright Nights possesses Playland. Face your fears at Western Canada's scariest Halloween event. Experience Fright Nights' seven spine-chilling haunted houses: Asylum, Darkness, FEAR, Car-N-Evil, Haunted Mansion, Hollywood Horrors, and the new Keepers Doll Factory; 13 petrifying rides; 66 nightmarish 'scarers' and grotesque nightly shows, which all promise an exhilarating and terrifying Halloween experience.
Calgary, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Fun Amusement Park!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

We went here for a trip since we were in Vancouver anyway, spent the day here.
Sooo much to do! Several rides and attractions to keep you busy. The lineups are ridiculous however, you should try and get there early or you will be waiting in a lineup half the day.
My favorite rides were The Hellevator, pretty much a backwards drop-of-doom, it shoots you up 250 feet into the air, then you gently fall back down, and the 325 foot tall monstrosity (i forget the name) of a ride. Not crazily fast but the fact it raises you up so high and you can see all over the city is breathtaking. Don't go on it if you're afraid of heights!!

We played and rode lots of other rides and I must say I wasn't very impressed with the roller coasters, they were pretty average-ish compared to other places I've been to, they don't go up very high and don't really do anything out of the ordinary, I would have definitely expected more after waiting 1.5 hours in the line up.

The worst part of our day there was when I took my 7 year old brother into the haunted house. They warn that you should be 13+ and most of the time that's no problem for me or my brother but this haunted house really was scary, and we were both shaking in our shoes wondering when we would get out of there. Never take your kids there unless they aren't scared of anything.
Thank God we got something good out of there though, the very end was very interesting. You walked across a bridge and all around you there was a round room with a projection of a portal or vortex or something. It was very odd because it actually makes you feel like you are spinning and twirling through the vortex, like you are going through a triple loop on a roller coaster, when really you are just walking straight down a metal bridge. Very cool! I did feel sort of nautious afterwards however, and I rarely do when it comes to rides and attractions at amusement parks.

It was a fun day, but some things I wouldn't do again.

Visited July 2013

• Korean first
  • Thai first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fright Night in the rain...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

This year is the first year that I've been in Canada for Halloween, and I've loved it. Saturday night was rainy, although not torrentially so, which is probably why there weren't the huge queues other reviewers seem to be complaining about. I found the Haunted Houses hilariously creepy and imaginatively thought out, although I could maybe have done with a bit more genuine creepiness and fewer loud bangs. The "phobia" house was probably the best in this respect. The costumed employees are also pretty funny, managing to be quite scary without actually being threatening, and mugging gamely for cameras. Having said this, we avoided the clown area as if it were the plague area - there are limits to my bravery. The rides were also pretty good, although I didn't think much to the concept of paying extra to go on the Revolution, and so I didn't pay extra to go on it. The Hellevator was a reasonable replacement. I'd do this again: rollercoasters and vampires - what's not to like?

Visited November 2013
Vancouver, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Too busy - long line ups”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

Hi Just to let you know that the most frightening part of the night was the line ups!

We got there at 7 pm on a Saturday and waited till 815pm just to get into the gate as we already had our ticket. We found out closer to the entrance that there was 2 other entrances that had little line ups rather than waiting all the way down Hastings st.

We went in 2 hunted houses and 2 rides ( the beach party and the pirate ship)and then it was 12 midnight as we were cold and did not have the patience to wait any more.

What really got me upset was the pass that got people ahead of the line. Slowing the majority of the people from getting on the attractions and pissing everyone off.

Paying over $100 in tickets it was not worth it in my mind or the people around me.

5 Thank 431peter
Lanzarote, Spain
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fright night sucks”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

Overpriced, long lines, and they shut the rides and haunted houses down 30-40min early before closing time. Haunted houses were lame this year and they had no characters walking around. Will never go back. Waste of money.

5 Thank J_Dizzy070
Vancouver, Canada
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Fright Nights/Fast Pass”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

Horrible. Playland in the summer is tons of fun but Fright Nights during the halloween season is not. They allow thousands of people into the park which makes it so you can only squeeze in maybe 1-2 attractions before closing. I spent probably 4 hours in line at the gate getting searched and 1 line ride until the park closed. They have a new Fast Pass feature this year which is disgusting, it allows you to skip the lineup and go ahead but problem is, it costs 50$ and should not be an option as most other theme parks pride themselves on small lineups. I was also turned away from one of the attractions because they said their were too many Fast Pass people i the lineup and they were a priority! I will never be going here again.

9 Thank 101Jessy101