“Hotel BLU-Great Stay in a Great Location”
Review of Hotel BLU

Hotel BLU
Ranked #11 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My experience at Hotel Blu was very pleasant. I was greater with a much needed espresso upon my arrival. The hotel is brand new, so very clean, and facilities were great. The shower included a rain shower as well as a handheld, very relaxing after a long day. The room service was not open to guests yet, so I cannot comment on the food. Location is fantastic, right off Robson, close to the sport stadiums and Yaletown.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Robyn Y
GMHotelBLU, General Manager at Hotel BLU, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Hello Robyn Y,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay at Hotel BLU and thank you for taking the time to submit a review!

We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We are especially glad to hear your appreciation for the rain shower and the hand-held shower wand. It was important to us that we provide the highest level of luxury and comfort and we knew that needed to include the shower! We hope you also enjoyed the world-renowned Elemis bath and body products provided in the showers.

We are sorry to hear you were not able to enjoy our breakfast. Whilst we are still working on an in-room dining option, and hope to have one available in the next couple of weeks, we currently offer a fantastic homemade breakfast in our Azure Lounge by Peqish. From our green genius smoothie to our gluten-free chocolate raspberry muffin to our vanilla-coconut French toast baguette, there is something to please everyone's appetite! We hope you are able to try it for yourself on your next visit.

Thank you again for choosing Hotel BLU and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Hotel BLU

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Hotel Blu was a great experience. The rooms were gorgeous and smelt like new. The bed was huge and had the most comfortable pillows and duvet. The hotel had a cosy feel to it and the staff were very helpful.

Breakfast was great, organic and healthy options and even gluten free choices.

My partner and i really enjoyed the experience.

2  Thank Leghorn R
GMHotelBLU, General Manager at Hotel BLU, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Janet S,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay at Hotel BLU and thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I remember when it came time to choose the mattresses and bedding for the hotel. It was absolutely important to us that we provided our guests with the utmost in comfort and luxury. Great sleep is after all the most important part of any hotel stay! I remember personally testing out several mattresses and bedding options before choosing what I knew our guests would love. I also remember saying we would need some really great coffee in the rooms to convince guests to leave the comfort and luxury of our beds! I hope the Nespresso in your room was enough of an incentive :)

Reviewed 17 June 2014

There are pros to staying at a newly-opened hotel. For one thing, everything was spectacularly clean during our stay. We were among the first people to stay in our Deluxe King room and everything was spotless.

The service was great as well; everyone was cheerful and attentive. Combined with the neat tech that came with the room (i.e.: Samsung Smart TVs, Samsung Tablets for use during your stay, in-wall USB chargers, complimentary wifi), in my mind, this hotel has the makings of a great addition to the Vancouver accommodation scene.

The only critique I would have is that the hotel is so new, some parts of the stay experience weren't completely polished; some parts of the hotel are still under construction, like the pool and hot tub, as well as some guest rooms on the main floor; our in-room safe didn't have the lock batteries installed, and were sitting inside the safe waiting to be put in; the Smart TV's menus selections still need to be set up completely; not all rooms have a tablet waiting for you in-room, though you do have the option of ringing the front desk to have one brought to you; the parking lot is partially occupied with construction material; some of the room numbers in the hallway are actually sheets of paper tacked to the wall above the door frame.

Note that the above are all really small parts to the overall experience. Hotel BLU has the most important element: service. The construction will be completed, eventually. Having said that, I think it's the small things that can really propel a place towards a 4-star experience, and I feel like this hotel is still working on them.

Room Tip: Hallway sound carries a long way, as the building is concrete construction. Your best bet is to stay...
2  Thank starsquirrel

Dear starsquirrel,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay at Hotel BLU and thank you for taking the time to submit a review.

We are so happy to hear you enjoyed the service and technology aspects of the hotel. Our intent is "Where luxury and technology meet sustainability" and we are proud to offer our guests a complete and thoughtful guest experience.

I would like to offer my personal and sincere apologies for the lack of completion in some areas of the hotel. I am pleased to report that construction in the building is now complete with all rooms available to guests and only minor touch ups in the pool remaining. We expect this final area to be completed shortly.

Thank you again for all your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We just got home from a trip to Vancouver, and we stayed at the recently opened Hotel BLU, and we are glad we took a chance on this new hotel. The absolute BEST thing about this hotel was the service. Everyone seemed very eager to make sure we were taken care of and that we felt like valued guests. The rooms were very clean, with crisp white bedding, very comfortable beds, and a calming atmosphere. We were concerned that the noise would be a problem, being right off Robson street, but it was great. We asked to be moved to a different room initially, because the room we were first put in was right across the hall from the ice machine which was very loud, but the front desk was extremely accommodating and had us moved within minutes to another room, which was nice and quiet. There are even tablets in each of the rooms, which we thought was a very nice touch, and something different from other hotels. Its a great location if you are going to the Queen Elizabeth Theatre or BC Place. There is a great coffee shop right across the street and lots of restaurants nearby.

2  Thank van_Juba

Dear van_Juba,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay at Hotel BLU and for taking the time to submit a review.

We are so thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I absolutely agree with you, the best feature at Hotel BLU is the staff. We take great pride in our team and our number one goal is to ensure all our guests receive an uncompromised level of service.

I am so happy to hear we were able to move you to a room away from the ice machine. We were also able to have a service call for the ice machine placed and am happy to report it is running much quieter now.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

My room was so delightful that I didn't want to leave it. Comfortable layout with modern design featuring a glassed-in bathroom, super-comfortable bed with duvet, Nespresso machine, free tablet for personal use during your stay, bathrobe & slippers, even an umbrella. The refrigerator was the quietest I've ever experienced in a hotel. I loved the availability of filtered water on each floor, the efficient internet connection in the business center, the emphasis on ecology and recycling, and the clean non-carpeted floors.
My package included breakfast, which was a gourmet delight. Almost everything was made onsite (including compotes/marmalade and various ketchups for the hash browns). The rich coffee was organic, the gluten-free muffins were among the best I've ever tasted (including regular muffins), the granola was to-die-for, and then there was brie (and other cheeses), poached eggs (to which you could add hollandaise sauce), and a large variety of other goodies (including lots of cold cuts and sausage/bacon for meat-eaters, which I'm not).
They also had a free shuttle downtown and free use of bicycles, neither of which I tried.
It's convenient to downtown/Gastown/Yaletown and the Skytrain.

Negatives: Although the rooms themselves are quiet (well-insulated from street noise), you can hear noisy neighbors pretty clearly. The hotel uses only the 2nd through 4th floor of the building, and they're still doing construction on the pool and surrounding part of the second floor. As my room was on the 3rd floor, over the pool, there was a lot of electric saw noise and some construction smells (glue, etc.) during the day. But they left between 5 and 6 pm and were inactive on Saturday morning --- so I was able to sleep in. The city was also doing some noisy road work on Robson, which would have affected the other side of the hotel during weekdays. Once the construction is done, I think this will be the ideal place to stay in Vancouver.
The only other problem I had was the large amount of light that came in at night under the door and from a bright night light (built into the entry light switch) that shown on the bed. The night light would have been a nice feature, if I could have lowered the brilliance or somehow angled it away.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Anita R

Dear Anita R,

We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us. We love that your particularly enjoyed the breakfast. The entire team at Pequish does a phenomenal job of providing a breakfast Hotel BLU can be proud of. I agree with you on the granola; one of the best I've ever had! We all can't wait until they open their retail location at the end of the month so we can purchase their granola for home!

Thank you for your feedback on the night light. We have made arrangements to allow for the night light to be turned off by turning off the master switch in the room.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

To begin, the rooms are ultra-comfortable. Everything is more than just right. The overhead rain shower also has a rain wand so that one has a choice of wet hair or not. HotelBLU (still a mystery as to what the BLU stands for) brings comfort and convenience to the 5 star hotel. Before staying anywhere else, check out HotelBLU (we already have our next stay reserved). The list of great features is long.
The truly outstanding feature is their staff. The staff (as in each and every department) were bound and determined to be welcoming and helpful. From check-in to check out the front desk hosts/hostess ensured that we felt special -- they connected with us. The valets are super efficient and give tlc to cars. Each day Housekeeping made up our room just like it was upon arriving (do not miss the nightly turn down -- we will leave that as a surprise).
Do not be discouraged by the location. The sporting venues are a football's pass away and there is formal and informal dining right nearby.
We have stayed in over 20 downtown hotels and HotelBLU is the first one we can confidently rate as EXCELLENT in each and every category.

Room Tip: You really cannot go wrong. Ask for a room with a terrace, especially if the sun is shining.
2  Thank Lionel1953

Dear Lionel1953,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us at Hotel BLU and thank you for taking the time to submit a review.

We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to take advantage of some our unique features. We recognize that when you are away from home, whether for business or pleasure, it is the little things and the attention to detail which make the difference. We hope we were able to do that for you. We hope your experience at BLU was Boutique Luxury Uncompromised :)

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I am a frequent traveller to Vancouver and am the second guest to come to this newly opened hotel. It is a truly excellent new boutique hotel and will be my preferred hotel every time I come to Vancouver. I usually stay at the Hermitage in Vancouver, but this hotel is superior in many ways. As a hotel owner and director of a small boutique hotel in the Yukon, I understand the finer points of hospitality and this hotel gets full grades.

Apart from the fact that it is brand new, there are a number of features which I appreciate. First, I abhor carpets in hotel rooms and this hotel has flooring that looks like wood, but is actually a composite. I believe this is the type of flooring that needs to be used in all hotels, as carpets retain dirt and dust particles, no matter how often they are cleaned.

I really loved the fact that my room was a corner room, with three windows which opened for fresh air, allowing for cross ventilation and plenty of natural light. This is very important to me and made for a great sleep without the need for air conditioning. I am very particular about staying in places that have windows that open for fresh air.

The bathrooms have an excellent shower, rain shower head, and are well laid out. The bed is ultra comfortable, with excellent linens and it is a nice touch that the robe and slippers are laid out for you. There is an good sized Samsung flat screen tv, with high definition picture and they provide a tablet so you can connect to Netflix, the first time I have seen this innovative feature. There is a wide selection of TV channels. The internet is free and works well. There is a Nespresso coffee machine in the room.The furniture is modern and the desk has lots of work space as well as a very comfortable desk chair which reclines.

The front desk and hotel manager, which welcomed me, were very friendly and professional and the location of the hotel, steps from BC Place on Robson is great. All in all, an excellent new boutique property, totalling 75 rooms, which all be a welcome addition to the Vancouver hotel scene and will likely be amongst the top ranked hotels in Vancouver. I hope to make this my home each time I am in Vancouver.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 403, which was a corner room. Try to get a corner room for extra light and windows.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
8  Thank Francesco C

Dear Francesco C.

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit a review of Hotel BLU and congratulations on being the second guest to stay with us!

We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It was truly a labour of love when we built the hotel and are so excited you were able to enjoy some our many unique features. I must admit, the floors are one of our favourite features as well. For those who suffer from allergens especially, it is a lovely feature. We are also so happy to hear you were able to take advantage of some of our innovative technology as well!

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and also for sharing your experience. We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.