“Cute little hotel in Yaletown”
Review of Hotel BLU

Hotel BLU
Ranked #12 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bellingham, Washington
“Cute little hotel in Yaletown”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Every time we go to Vancouver we try out a different hotel. Recently we discovered (with the help of Trip Advisor) Hotel Blu, a great addition to the Vancouver hotel menu. The room was modern and minimalist, with a great little shower with a choice of 2 shower heads! The staff were very friendly. Our only complaint was that we arrived when the Semifinal World Cup game was at the penalty kick stage, and when we got to our room, there was no channel guide so we had to call the front desk to ask for the channel. When we tried the channel, it didn't work. We called the front desk again and they sent someone up, who tried and then told us we didn't get that channel in our room. (Meanwhile, the penalty kicks were going on....). We then called to change rooms, and another person was sent up, who was able to find the correct channel for the game, which, by then, was over. Also, as another reviewer mentioned, it would have been nice to have a guide of current local events in the room. I asked what was happening at the front desk and was told only club shows, and later found out that a dance concert that I would've loved to see happened that night.

Room Tip: Our room was quiet because it faced the back....lots of street work going on in front.
Dear Ecmonica,

Thank you so much for staying with us at Hotel BLU and for taking the time to post a review.

We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding the TV channels. We were able to have a technician come in and review the issue and provide some solutions.

Thank you again for choosing Hotel BLU and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

The entire Hotel BLU team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I booked this hotel via Expedia and at that time there were no reviews. Let me cut to the chase. I had a fantastic time. I did not experience any of the glitches that some of the previous reviewers experienced. When I come back to Vancouver I plan to stay at Hotel BLU. The hotel located in a perfect location in Vancouver. There are some bars near by, there are 7-11, and pharmacys within two blocks. The hotel was very close to the water way where you could use the ferries to get around. Make sure you find out when the last water taxi and ferry runs because they stop running around 8ish pm or 10ish pm. There is a Casino nearby as well. It is not the greatest casino but there are $5 tables. Reviewer Jade830 and Angela N have a great detailed synopsis' of the hotel check theirs reviews out. I really enjoyed the robe and slippers. After a day long bike trip, I used my robe and slippers when I went down to the Pool and Hot Tub. I had the whole Pool and Hot Tub area to myself. I did not use the gym. They have all the basics. Angela N was correct about the technology in the room. We had a Samsung SMARTV and we were able to access all the channels available. The first time I went to Canada I was 18 years(20 plus years ago) and the TV shows were all USA shows. I am now impressed with the variety in the Canadian TV shows now. I appreciated this TV experience on my super comfortable King size bed. There were USB and power outlets in the best locations in the room. What was really cool were the adjustable over head reading lamps that were part of the side bed lamps. Two separate light sources that were part of one fixture. There is a lot of attention to detail in every aspect of the hotel. What was really cool was the complimentary bikes. If you have the time I highly recommend biking Stanley Park. The staff was super nice and helpful. I highly recommend

Room Tip: We did not have a problem on the forth floor. The funny part was that when were were in Seattle we w...
2 Thank Cristobal C
Dear Cristobal C,

Thank you so much for staying at Hotel BLU and thank you for taking the time to submit a review.

We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us!

It can be difficult to book a hotel with no reviews. We are so happy you took a chance on us and that you were able to pay it forward by submitting a review for future guests. Reviews are a great way for guests to get to know us a little better and truly make an informed decision on where they choose to stay. There are a lot of choices in Vancouver and we appreciate it each and every time a guest chooses us :)

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Janey33
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

After a long journey, we arrived in Vancouver to find out that our original hotel had re-located us to hotel Blu. Although we initially thought the sudden change was not a good start to our holiday, it turned out to be much better than the hotel we originally booked,

The reception staff were very helpful and friendly and the King Suite was large enough for 3 of us.

The hotel is contemporary and the suite was very comfortable. My daughter was especially impressed with use of a tablet in our room.

Breakfasts were very healthy and a great start to the day - the member of staff in the dining room was a very helpful and friendly lady.

Great location too for shopping.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Janey33
Dear Janey33 ,

Thank you for staying with us at Hotel BLU and thank you for taking the time to post a review!

We were so happy to learn you enjoyed your stay with us.

Yes, we have many families who enjoy the use of the in-room tablets. Perfect for watching a movie, checking the weather or even as a map as you navigate the wonderful shopping in the area. I hope you were able to enjoy the Smart TV as well as many of the same features (web, weather, news etc) are also available there!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We arrived at Vancouver by train so our ride to this hotel was less than 10 minutes by taxi. Being a newer hotel not a lot of drivers knew where this place is by name so make sure you know the exact address. We checked in at noon on a Saturday and our room was ready. The front desk offered us water or juice, an apple, and a copy of the city map. We needed to scan the hotel key in the elevator before it would take us up to our floor (safety!) I walked into the room and lying there on the bed was a robe and slippers. Nice! The room included a fridge, microwave, SmartTV, a galaxy tablet, an Nepresso machine, a safe in the closet large enough to fit a laptop, and USB ports bedside, and free WiFi. The king size bed was very comfortable and one of the four pillows was soft enough for my taste. I thought the glass wall between the bedroom and bathroom was odd at first but there is a curtain there that can be pulled down for privacy or you can always keep it up for fun! :) The hotel also has an indoor pool, a spa, a sauna, a fitness room, and a sun deck. The location of the hotel is ideal. It's within walking distance of the stadium, the casino, Chinatown, Gastown, and the bars/clubs of Yaletown. There is a water taxi stop by the casino that took us to Granville Island and Vanier Park. Just be aware the water taxis stop running around 8pm. Make sure to reserve their complimentary bikes! Seeing Vancouver by bike is an excellent way to travel. They have designated bike lanes so we felt safe when we biked to and around Stanley Park. We had a flight out of Vancouver so we took a taxi to Yaletown train station (5 min away) and jumped on the train to Zone 2 YVR. If I went to Vancouver again I would definitely come back to this hotel.

1 Thank Jade830
Dear Jade830,

We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us!

The water taxi is definitely a great way to visit Granville Island. Our front desk and concierge staff is always happy to provide the most up to date information on running times.

The entire Hotel BLU team

PS. We would love for you to like us on Facebook; we shared your review on our page :)
Vernon, Canada
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Stayed 3 nights in mid-late June; loved it! The not-so-fine print on the booking page specifically says that some facilities will not be available til further notice, but the reduced pricing more than made up for anything that may have been lacking, and from reading some negative reviews I can only assume not everyone saw that caveat when they booked here. The room was fantastic: we could've had a party it was so spacious (we could also have had a party in the bathroom!). Yes, there were a few glitches, but not being hotel snobs and realizing that lots can and does happen on a first opening (and note it was a "soft" opening, thus not advertised as such), we were more than happy with our stay there. There was little to no wait on the bank of elevators, excellent high-end security policies (card req'd for parkade & elevator, plus 3 separate locking measures for your room door); and a fantastic buffet breakfast (which was available til 11 a.m. for all of us late starters). No carpeting like in the old days, co you would think your bare feet would hit a cold floor, especially in the morning, but in fact we found the floors feeling very cozy at any time, day or night....part of their being environmentally controlled I would guess. The bed was fantastic! Like sleeping on a cloud, and the bedding was also wonderful. It all added up to feeling very posh and indulgent, despite the odd hiccup here and there. Hiccup? Okay, so the TV wasn't tuned in to all the channels, and the tablet wasn't totally programmed, but hey, we were in Van to have fun OUTSIDE the hotel room, not inside! The staff were more than pleasant and very accommodating, even the cleaning staff. Location on Robson is superb; close to several concert venues and lots of eating choices; yes, during our stay there was street repairs / construction going on outside, but you would have to talk to City Hall about that. We worked around it no problem, even with the car (the city crews were also very pleasant & helpful, although I'm sure if we were grumpy and miserable with them, they would be grumpy and miserable back: and who could blame them? They are only doing their jobs....). Overall a great experience and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: A room not too close to the elevator would probably be less noisy; although we only heard noise when...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jesse R
Dear Jesse R,

Thank you so much for staying at Hotel BLU and thank you for taking the time to post a review.

We were thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to take advantage of our opening specials! Please do continue to book with the hotel directly as that is always the best way to ensure you are receiving the best offerings!

It is so wonderful to hear you appreciated the security offered in the hotel. While we are in a safe location, security of our guests is of utmost importance to us.

Thank you again for choosing Hotel BLU and we hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I stayed here for two nights on business after being captivated by the tag line on their website, "Where luxury and technology meet sustainability."

The rooms are very well appointed in all three ways:

Luxury: A robe and slippers presented themselves when I walked in, nicely laid out on the bed and begging me to relax. The furniture is beautiful with leaf motifs a common theme. The rain shower head was relaxing after long days of meetings, and the espresso machine helped make waking up a breeze! I didn't have a chance to enjoy the pool, hot tub or sauna, but they looked inviting! The breakfast was decadent for a buffet. Smoothies (including a green one), eggs benny, cereals, fruit, eggs, bacon, all very well presented and delicious.

Technology: As a frequent business traveller I'm often frustrated by the lack of outlets and those that do exist are hard to get to. My room had plenty of intelligently placed outlets, as well as USB ports. The Samsung tablet was a nice touch (although I travel with my iPad). The fitness centre is equipped with brand new equipment.

Sustainability: As a sustainability professional I notice "greenwashers" who say that they are green but don't deliver. This hotel has done an excellent job in several ways. Instead of cheap plastic water bottles in the rooms, they provide guests with a lovely glass bottle and stopper, with access to filtered water on each floor (I just filled mine up at the tap). There is a master switch near the door that allows you to turn off all of the lights at once when you leave. The amenities are in classy dispensers it the shower and included a green seal that I didn't recognize, but am trusting is credible. The lights in the halls and common areas are all energy efficient (I didn't check the lamps in the rooms).

Overall, while there were a few little service glitches due to the newness of the property, which were instantly remedied when I brought them to the attention of staff, I would highly recommend this property and look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Angela N
Dear Angela N,

Thank you for staying at the Hotel BLU and thank you for taking the time to submit a review.

We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us!

We take our tagline "Where luxury and technology meet sustainability" very seriously. It is our intention to provide the utmost highest level of quality and service whilst still cognizant of the impact it has on our environment. Here are Hotel BLU, we know we are responsible to our guests, and also responsible to our environment. And yes, the light bulbs in the rooms are all energy efficient :)

Thank you again for choosing Hotel BLU and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Obviously, everything is brand new and so that's nice. It feels as though this was designed by an architect who's never done a hotel before. We stayed in in an Executive Loft King Suite with Terrace, so the review is relevant to that room style.

Fire alarm went off at 12:55am and 1:12 am…

Front desk staff fairly clueless. Made no mention of complimentary bikes so we paid to rent our own. Told the GM who didn't seem to care.

No Furniture on the nicely sized terrace that overlooked a service garage rollup door. don't understand why your most expensive rooms have the worst/non-existant views.

The bathroom door opens directly into the very tight entryway, which shares the closet and needs to be closed in order to enter the space.

It is extremely difficult to reach the shower fixtures around the non-movable glass partition-if you don't have long arms you may slip and fall.

The toilet was strangely located about 18" from the sink, when there was plenty of room to center in the bathroom-felt very weird.

A tiny TV afterthought stuffed under the stairway- too small given the distance to the chairs/ overly hard as a board sofa.

The room was very soundproofed and you didn't hear people going in/out of the pool/breakfast room/business center strangely located all on this floor. Absolutely no security preventing outsiders from entering your hallway either by walking up the stairs and thru the unlocked door or via the shared residence elevator-whichhad a family loading Costco supplies into the bank while we tried to get to our room.

Breakfast is quite good and the staff in the breakfast room kept everything in the place tidy.

wifi access is very good and complimentary.

The hotel feels like a corporate hotel, not a boutique property.

Dear vlad p,

Thank you for staying with us at Hotel BLU and thank you for taking the time to submit a review.

I was disappointed to learn you did not thoroughly enjoy your stay and wanted to personally respond to some of your concerns.

With regards to the fire alarms; unfortunately we did have an incident on the night you stayed with us which caused our fire alarms to go off. My sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced. We take our guest safety very seriously and treat all potentially emergency situations with the utmost attention. I personally arrived on site that night to ensure all appropriate measures were taken. Whilst these things are unfortunately out of our control, I understand how absolutely inconvenient the event was for you and for our other guests. We were pleased to provide all our guests a complimentary hot breakfast in our Azure Lounge the next morning as our way of saying thank you for your patience and understanding. If you did not receive your voucher and apology letter, or if you wish to discuss the matter further, I encourage you to get in touch with me directly at neilin@mayfairhotels.ca and I would be pleased to discuss the matter further with you.

With regards to the layout of the bathroom; when the hotel was designed, the City of Vancouver had implemented several policies to ensure public spaces were designed to accommodate individuals and guests with all levels of accessibility. The bathroom door swinging outward and the fixtures close to each other in order to provide a large open space in the middle of the bathroom were requirements. Hotel BLU was happy to oblige with the requirements even though they made the bathrooms awkward as we have found many guests with accessibility concerns have appreciated the design. My sincere apologies the design did not work for you.

My apologies again that you did not enjoy the view from your patio. The intention of the patios was to create a small garden retreat in the middle of a very urban location. A small "hideaway" from the hustle of downtown, if you will. Our landscape architects very carefully created green spaces to create this feeling.

Should you choose to stay with us again, and I sincerely hope you do, may I suggest room 332. This room has a walk in shower making the fixtures easier to reach, the toilet is across the shower rather than beside it and although it still has a patio, with the room being located of the corner of the building, it provides a beautiful view of BC Place. It is a suite room so you will still have the separate living room, although it is not a two-story loft.

Thank you again for choosing Hotel BLU and I hope we are able to welcome you again in the near future.

Neilin Dhanji