“B & B in Vancouver B.C.”

Granville House B&B
Ranked #25 of 54 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“B & B in Vancouver B.C.”
Reviewed 8 August 2008

B & B in Vancouver, B.C. on Granville:

The "Granville House B & B" at 5050 Granville Street in Vancouver was such a "great find" for me to stumble in to. I was searching in VRBO.COM (vacation rentals by owner) to just find something more personable and less institutional than a hotel for my stay, but with a reasonable price. Originally, the Granville House was a very stately mansion of quality construction that was then transformed into a Bed and Breakfast. Pam and Randy Vogel, the owner's have done what I think is, an incredible job of building/ creating this bed and breakfast. Each room has its own electronic number code, so not needing keys was convenient. And, the morning breakfast was served in the common dining area of many tables set with linen and silverware. Incredible entres of eggs and cheese, sausage, fruits, breads, cereals, yogurts, and juices were provided each day. Our room was so spacious and very beautiful, using fine quality furnishings with muted and soft tones and colors. The bed and bedding was especially luxurious and comfortable. The den/study had a desk, mini refrigerator, coffee maker, and a sofa with a fold out bed, if needed. The bathroom was absolutely stunning with such unique and bold tile and design. The tub, the shower stall, the sink, the lighting, and all the fixtures were so artistic in design, it made me feel like "a piece of art", while you're using the bathroom. As if presenting a signature item representing the B & B, they also provided these large cobalt blue bottles of "purely saltspring" products which are a product of B.C., Canada. From the body wash in the shower to the body lotion and all the rest, they seem to be such a high quality of product. They even have order forms if you'd like to buy some to take home with you. During my stay, Pam and Randy were so genuine and obviously loving the B & B business. As we were "out of town" visitors, they were so helpful in translating for us ideas, suggestions, and "how to get to" directions in order to make our stay even more successful. I especially loved the location on Granville Street and being able to catch the bus right there. It took five minutes to get into Vancouver downtown by bus, so that was convenient. But, driving my car from the B & B was also convenient. I would highly recommend the stay. I would love to go again. Amd. some day I will.

• Liked — High quality of furnishings and decor, food, linens, china, silverware, service, and an "eye to detail".
  • Disliked — Did not have a TV/DVD/Sound System in room for entertainment (they were working on it)
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Peridot58

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 6 May 2008

The house is in great condition, clean, modern, and has great ammenities. Entry to the front door and rooms is provided by code that the owners email you so you can come and go at any hour without bothering anyone. It's not the typical B&B scene but an excellent place to stay.

The bathroom was very nice with both a glass shower and separate tub. All ammenities are provided.

There was no TV in our room - not a problem for me.

I got up too early for the hosted breakfast but they left out cereal, bread, OJ, milk, and yoghurt so I was still able to eat. Other guests said they were served very tasty dutch babies.

I recommend highly for the more hotel-like B&B stay.

• Liked — clean new very functional + free internet
  • Disliked — some noise from granville ave but not bad
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PaulSEA1
sanfransisco
Reviewed 5 May 2008

Upon arriving at the Granville House I was surprised to discover that it wasent quite what I had expected. It is situated on a very busy highway which is quite noisy. For the price it costs to stay here, you would expect to at least have a television in your room. There aren't any. The food is o.k., not bad, but quite basic. I found that it lacked imagination, and the eggs that were served were quite greasy. It would be nice to see some more imaginative choices for these prices. Things like smoked salmon, or a selection of different breads. The internet connection is not always reliable, and at times you need to go to the main room, to access the internet. Despite these inconveniences, I will say that the house is quite nice, and the beds are fairly comfortable. I have stayed at their other facility hycroft, and was much happier.

• Liked — Comfortable beds
  • Disliked — The cost does not justify what is offered. Considering lack of amenities, the cost is too high
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank llove
GranvilleBB, Owner at Granville House B&B, responded to this review, 17 November 2016
Since you stayed with us, we have added LCD TVs to each room, with HD cable box programming, and much faster internet service with routers on every floor for a more stable connection. We also provide a more robust breakfast menu, with many healthy options, available from 5am to 11am every day. Although Granville Street is labelled as Highway 99 on Google Maps, this would qualify as the slowest highway in the world with a 50km (30mph) speed limit. Only commuter traffic is allowed on Granville Street as commercial traffic is diverted to Oak Street. That said, we have added a sign to your Elm Junior Suite recommending "light sleepers should not open bedroom window at night" (open the bathroom window instead), or choose any of the 4 suites recommended for light sleepers.
UK
Reviewed 26 April 2008

I really enjoyed my stay. Everything about this B&B oozes quality.
High standards throughout and you will made to be feel very welcome.

• Liked — electronic room access
  • Disliked — Situated on a main road
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank apjb
Canada
Reviewed 25 March 2008

The Granville B&B was the best part of our stay in Vancouver. We had a short weekend get-away to relax, and it was definitely a wonderfully relaxing experience thanks to Pam (the owner of the B&B) She was extremely helpful and informative about tourist attractions. The breakfasts were lovely. It is apparent that there is a lot of thought put into the ingredients, and care in the preparation. A variety of organic and locally made yogurts, teas etc.. were very nice. The room and bathroom were beautiful and spacious...the bed was very comfortable as well. The bus stop located just outside was handy. Despite the fact that the house is located on a very busy noise, our room was very quiet! The only complaint we had was that the wireless would disconnect in the bedroom and that we would have to go to the common area for un-interrupted service. Besides that minor irritant, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this B&B to everyone!

• Liked — Everything.
  • Disliked — Poor wireless internet connection
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mina77
ilove2playpiano
Reviewed 17 February 2008

My Grandmother and I stayed at the Granville House B&B this past August. It was the perfect way to start off our vacation before we took an Alaskan cruise. The hosts, Pam and Randy, and their wonderful assistant/chef, Eduardo, were outstanding. They were very helpful and patient, willing to answer our many questions. Yet, they gave us the privacy that sometimes lacks in other B&B's

The House:
Gorgeous house...newly remodled. Our room was very modern...large bathroom (loved the extended double sinks!). Soaps/Conditioners/Shampoos are spa-like. The bed...oh the bed was SO comfortable. I almost didn't want to get up in the morning. Soft comforter.

Breakfast:
Eduardo (and Pam, Randy) are amazing cooks. The daily breakfast was what I would expect from a high-priced restaurant. Main entree and fresh local fruit salad, delicious teas, cereals, juices, utter decadence!

Location:
We could not have picked a better location in between the airport and downtown. Granville House is conveniently located one block away from the bus that can take you downtown. Bus fare is very cheap...a little more than a Canadian dollar. Vancouver's bus system is quite extensive and very convenient for the tourist and the locals.

Would I stay again? YES I WOULD! I wish I lived closer than the South USA though...If you stay at Granville House B&B, you will have an unforgettably wonderful experience.

Stayed August 2007
3 Thank ilove2playpiano
Victoria BC
Reviewed 21 January 2008

realize what a steal this place is. My partner and I recently spent a night at this fabulous place. There was a mid week winter sale on and what a deal. We really liked was the keyless entry so we could arrive when we wanted to without inconveniencing the innkeepers should our timing go awry! The house is massive with a nice common area which adjoins the breakfast room. There was an all day coffee and tea station and the house is set for wireless. We stayed in the Birch room which was really spacious, lots of windows and an intercom system. There were comfy robes in the closet along with a bar fridge, complimentary water and there was even a safe. The bathroom was really cool and very modern and the amenities great. Breakfast was continental and ran from 8 to 10 and was quite substantial. This is a great location to downtown, and a $10 cab ride to the amazing VIJ's. We would not hesitate to stay here again at any time and look forward to going back for a longer time.

• Liked — Liked the spaciousness, privacy, keyless door entries
Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple