“My new Vancouver hotel ”
Review of Loden Hotel

Loden Hotel
Ranked #5 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
“My new Vancouver hotel ”
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

I recently had the opportunity to stay for a night at the Loden and being a person who tends to stay at the large chains I was a little concerned.

Well, I had no reason to be concerned. I was blown away by the quality of this property. The rooms are stunning, service was fantastic, and the food was great!

This is my new hotel while in Vancouver.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank mattincan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I had heard great things about this hotel, but I was disappointed. The rooms are nice (but small), and the hotel is well-located downtown. However, I was surprised by the poor customer service we received.

First, when I checked in, the front desk clerk asked what we had planned for the evening. I said we wanted to eat in the hotel's restaurant, but she did not offer to make a reservation. When I called from our room, we could not get through to the restaurant (got a recording). We ended up eating elsewhere.

Our room package included valet parking. When we pulled up, there was no valet or doorman around, so we left our car out front. I mentioned to the front desk clerk that I wanted valet parking, and she said the valet would be back in a few minutes. We went up to our room to freshen up, and returned to the lobby about 15 minutes later and the car was still there. There was still no one around, so I asked the desk clerk when the car would be moved. She again said the valet would be back in a few minutes. I expressed concern about leaving our car on the street unattended, with the keys in it and our packages inside (the front desk is not near the street entrance). She just repeated that the valet would be back soon (he had gone to park a car that arrived after ours). We eventually left as we didn't want to waste our evening being picky, and I'm not sure how the long car stood the the street.

Our package also included continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant. While the ambiance in the restaurant is nice, the server seemed harried, and we felt like we were a nuisance and were being hurried out the door, even though we arrived 45 minutes before breakfast service ended. We were not offered any cooked food, even though it was available as part of the package.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank kmc1971
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Recent 4 night stay at hotel while attending convention. Great location off the major big hotel path but close to waterfront, great restaurants and shopping. Have stayed here several times in the past 5 years and guest rooms starting to show their wear. Large guest rooms oversized tv; a/c runs loud; window that opens, in-room safe, bar fridge and large bathroom but paper holder doesn't do the job and you can get a shower by simply turning on the sink tap. Asked previous stay why no coffee machine for room - still a year later and none are available - bad idea for those of us who like their caffeine first thing in the morning and don't want to dress to take the elevator down for the complimentary paper cup. Breakfast dismal. Tried to grab a coffee at Tableau with a client around 11:30 am - a no go from the bartender who relented with a comment to make it fast due to lunch crowd. Went across to SBcks instead at client's request
(who was a local and said the hotel was known for being "snooty without cause".) Also booked Halo penthouse for a corporate event - fabulous space, views that can't be matched. Went through a couple of personnel changes and contract signing was touchy. Discovered after signing and payment upfront made, that you can't actually stay overnight in the penthouse if you are hosting an event - explanation did not make sense and had to book separate guestroom; and unable to provide food before 430 pm as kitchen staff not available before that (even though contract read to start at 4pm) Valet, front door and in-room delivery staff very helpful and friendly - front desk staff could use tips from them (standing in groups gossiping about other guests while a guest is trying to check in is not good).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank travelgirl816
Adrien L, Guest Relations Manager at Loden Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear travelgirl816,

Thank you for being loyal to the Loden for the past Five years. We appreciate your helpful feedback. Though six years young we are continuously refreshing our environment, most recently with the addition of new mobile desk chairs and luxurious desktops with ample power outlets. You brought up valuable points and I will get in touch with you shortly to discuss at your convenience your experience at the Loden.

Adrien Litargne
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Ran the BMO Vancouver Marathon and wanted to stay at a nice hotel that was close to the finish line. I chose the Loden because I wanted to make sure my "race crew" (wife) was as comfortable as possible. We enjoyed a great meal at Tableau. The room was awesome! Cool features and design. The concierge made sure we were in a room that did not allow pets, the frig was cleared so we could stow a few things, and they supplied a blender so I could make my morning smoothie! Location was very convenient to restaurants and sightseeing. It was a wonderful weekend away. Plus I qualified for Boston 2015 :-)

Room Tip: If you have pet allergies ask for a room that does not allow pets.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Phillip G
Bonner Springs, Kansas
Reviewed 10 May 2014

For the price, this should have been a step better. While a nice hotel, clean and very friendly. The design of the bathroom was problematic. Why have toilet paper holders that don't hold the toilet paper. The sink, while fashionable, was so shallow you got a shower from the simply running water in the sink. No coffee in the room, was a real problem for we who want our caffeine in the morning. Breakfast was certainly substandard. On the positive side, we cannot say enough about the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. They made the stay very pleasant.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DrDray
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel to attend a large meeting at the Convention Center and found it to be comfortable and convenient, about 5 blocks to the Convention Center. My room was a Park Vista room, a corner room with floor to ceiling windows. The view was toward the harbor with partially obstructed views caused by near-by buildings (room 1007, on the 10th floor). The room itself was not spacious, but was adequately large, with a desk and chair, an additional chair, 2 reasonably sized closets, a safe, and a mini bar. The bathroom had a tub and large shower with great water pressure. There were plenty of towels and bath items. The room was extremely quiet with no street or hallway noise. Room lights were easily controlled with bedside switches.

There was turndown service each night, and a fresh container of water was placed by the bedside. There was an impressive High Def large screen TV with local and some cable channels, but no free Premium cable (additional movies, shows, etc were available as pay-per-view).

The hotel has several free taxis/vans available to shuttle you to downtown locations (you pay the driver "whatever you think is appropriate"). The location has many restaurants within easy walking distance. Yaletown restaurants along Hamilton Street would be a little over a mile walk and Gastown restaurants are about 20-25 minutes walking distance depending on which end of Gastown they are in. And if you are coming from the airport (YRV) the light rail station at Georgia and Grandville is only 5-6 blocks away. The 20-25 minute train ride is faster than a taxi, and costs only $4 CAN.

The business office in the Loden was pretty standard - small, only one chair, one computer with printer - but adequate. The workout room was nice with multiple machines, many with a small TV and headphones, as well as large screen overhead TVs. There was also access to the interior garden from the workout room.

Staff were very friendly and helpful with directions and many restaurant recommendations. There are bikes and helmets in the lobby for general use and Vancouver is a very bike-friendly city with many bike lanes on city streets and trails into Stanley Park.

My only complaint is that the AC Fannie my room was quite loud, louder than a "white noise" background sound that you would expect from HVAC. It was loud enough to make it difficult to hear the TV unless the volume was turned way up. During my visit in May, the bed covers were quite warm and to keep a comfortable temp at night the AC ran frequently and was quite distracting at first. This is a minor complaint compared to the quality of this hotel.

Overall a great boutique hotel with amenities available such as the hotel taxi and bicycles that are not typically available at other boutique hotels. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank travelhive
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I was in Vancouver on business and needed to find a hotel very last minute (thanks to me being a complete scatterbrain) that was dog-friendly. The Loden came up as an option and based on location, it seemed like the logical pick.

Arrived around 4pm and was met by quite possibly the nicest front desk staff ever. I was suffering from some severe pollen allergies and had zero voice, they had some hot water with fresh sliced lemons and honey sent up to my room to sooth my throat, wonderful! On top of that, there was a wine and cheese mixer being held downstairs that they informed me about and I was able to meet some amazing Loden staff that showed me around and made me feel beyond welcome in both the hotel and at Tableau: Daniel & Alain.

You cannot find a better downtown location, the Loden is situated in downtown, right by the financial centre as well as Coal Harbour. The rooms are spacious and lovely with free wifi, huuuuge windows, lighting that makes you look good at any time of day or night and these huge soaker tubs that are incredible. I am normally ecstatic to check out of a hotel room after a business trip, but I was actually pouting when I was checking out.

Wouldn't hesitate to stay here every single time I am in Vancouver from this day forward, even my pup approves!

Room Tip: North view so that you can see the mountains and water, there's no better way to wake up!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business