“Great eatery, great location, great staff”
Review of Loden Hotel

Loden Hotel
Ranked #5 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Los Angeles
“Great eatery, great location, great staff”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I usually stay at the Opus in Yaletown when visiting Vancouver for work. This time they were at capacity so I ended up at the lovely Loden. Naturally, I had to compare both hotels since they are relatively similar.

The Loden? GREAT location. Its in a semi residential area called Coal Harbor, which is roughly 10 mins walk to the convention center (I walked it each day and have shorter legs than the average Joe) and its MUCH quieter. There is a train station also about 10 mins walk - different direction (Burrard Station but requires changing trains if coming from the airport.). There are lots of Sushi eateries littered nearby and a 7-Eleven around the corner to top up on snacks. The Opus in contrast is in the trendy area called Yaletown and has lots of bars in the area so can get quite noisy at night. The Opus is across the street from Roundhouse station so is much more convenient to get to from the airport (straight shot to the hotel from airport. A 20 mins train ride). For the Loden, the most straightforward route is to take Canada Line from the airport to Vancouver City Station, then walk about 20 minutes west to the hotel or change trains as suggested above for a shorter walk. So Opus beats it in terms of getting there from YVR airport. That said, Loden is better suited if you are attending events at the Convention Center, want to be closer to the Harbor and want to be away from the hustle and bustle.

GREAT restaurant - their Tableau Bar Bistro which is a French restaurant is enough to keep you locally based. The best food I had during this visit was there. The food is simply flavorful! Huge compliments to the chef. From the steak fries, the chorizo omelette to the French onion soup, there wasn't anything that didn't taste great (and i am fussy with my meals). The Opus's La Pentola, an Italian eatery pales in comparison (Opus take note:).

Rooms- modern, furnished rooms with all the usual amenities (molton brown travel essentials (lotion etc) - hairdryer, umbrella (usually needed in Vancouver), iron. Love the speakers in the bathroom as it meant I could still hear the TV whilst in the bathroom. Keeping abreast of your fav program is important stuff! The Opus has much more splashes of colors in the room and a little more character design in each room. Their rooms have colorful palettes and retro pop-deco design and they have unique décor schemes and Loden seems dull in contrast but I have only stayed here once so... My only personal complaint with the Loden is the beds are not quite as comfy as Opus and the sheets are certainly not quite as soft so I didn't sleep as soundly each night as I usually do at Opus. For a hotel of its calibre I didn't expect a slightly sunken in mattress and rough thin sheets. Adding the Opus does have that complimentary IPAD in every room. Def a bug bonus and a notch for them.

GREAT customer service and the staff there literally aim to please and will kindly cater to your every whim with a smile. I am sucker for customer service so when I get doses of great service I will automatically rave about it. There is one concern that I do need to address. While there, I made 2 calls to the front desk -- one to order room service and the order to request their courtesy shuttle. I noticed a front desk charge on my credit card bill upon returning for $7.62. Not a huge amount but certainly concerning that a call to the front desk isn't free. I will be calling them to question.

I must admit, I do love the complimentary water or champagne the Opus offer you while you are checking in. After a long flight and travel its just a nice little gesture (Loden take note:). Both hotels do have the welcome snack in the room with your name printed/or written on a card (love that)- Opus has better snacks though.

Opus vs Loden? Food for thought! The bottom-line, its like comparing apples and oranges so unless you need an ipad, and want to be seconds away from all the action I would settle with the Loden and let the price be your guide.

Choose wisely!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Adrien L, Guest Relations Manager at Loden Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear SOAP,

Thank you for your valuable feedback, we appreciate the time you took to share with others your stay with us at the Loden. I understand that you had some concerns and will be contacting you shortly.

Adrien Litargne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I can't believe I forgot to review this hotel! Stayed with my husband to celebrate our anniversary in early spring 2014 and I was blown away by it all. They delivered on all requests and even surprised us with a few extra's! The room was a Park Vista and was just fabulous, I have been dying to go back ever since. In-room clothing steamer, can I get an amen? Great quiet location, great gym, and Tableau Bar Bistro is not to be missed. Arrived quite late but we still managed to have an excellent meal. The Loden is my 1st choice now for staying in Vancouver. We felt like royalty. The front desk staff generally weren't overly friendly but there was one really nice guy at the front door. For the same money the Fairmont can't compare.

Room Tip: Park Vista (corner)!! Could see the ocean!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Room upgrade (spacious, modern suite with a partial view of the coastline and mountains): check!
Early check-in: check!
Late check-out: check!
Making us feel welcomed and going out of their way to provide an extraordinary experience: check!
Located in a prime location where mostly everything is within walking distance and where staff provide exceptional service, this hip and boutique hotel can compete with even the most luxurious accommodations. So what have you done for us lately? More than we ever expected. Thank you!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Juniorm009
Whistler, BC
Reviewed 10 August 2014

There's is nothing I haven't already said that I could add! Oh yes, if there was such a category... The Loden would take the trophy for "Best damn coffee in the Lobby". Could The Loden possibly be the best hotel in Vancouver? We think so. We'll be back. Not soon enough. But we'll be back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Eric_WineMonkey
Ipswich, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

After reading reviews on Tripadvisor for the top 10 hotels in Vancouver, my husband and I made a six night reservation at The Loden for our first visit to Vancouver. We were delighted with the warm welcome we received from the reception staff upon our arrival and were allowed into our room despite being earlier than the 3pm check in time. Our room was beautifully appointed and very spacious, the bed was really comfortable and the bathroom was divided from the bedroom by sliding doors which could be left open to make the bathroom light and airy. The bathroom area itself was separated into three by glass enclosures, so there was a shower cubicle and separate toilet off from the bath and washbasin area. Every evening there was a turn down service, where a fresh carafe of water was supplied together with a couple of chocolates for each of us. Another bonus to this quiet and comfortable boutique hotel was the free wifi in the room. We thought the hotel was ideally located two blocks back from Coal Harbour, within walking distance of downtown and Stanley Park. All of the staff we encountered were extremely helpful and nothing was too much trouble. We had breakfast in their restaurant, "Tableau" which was a cold buffet, with hot wraps available before 10.00am, with brunch served after 10.30am. All in all, we had an excellent stay at this hotel and when we next visit Vancouver we will definitely be returning to The Loden!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Moby56250
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

What a beautiful hotel. We stayed here for our recent visit to Vancouver for our 1 year Anniversary. They do it right!
Beautiful king size room, marble bathroom with soaker tub and city/ocean view.
Extremely clean and gorgeous. Great front desk staff who answer all questions and give you lots of information upon arrival. We used the loden taxi twice which was extremely convenient and free!
This hotel is located in a perfect area. You can walk to Granville island ferry, Stanley park and English bay. All are about 15 min walk. Robson street is just a couple of blocks away too. We took the loden taxi to the sky train then took the sky train to the airport.... Was super easy and only cost us $5.50 instead of the $40 cab ride... Recommend doing that -this is coming from non public transportation people!
Special thanks to the super friendly guy at the front desk (sorry didn't catch his name). He was awesome and so sweet. He sent a bottle of champagne up to our room with a happy 1 year anniversary card..... That totally made us feel special so thank you!!!
Highly recommend this hotel they pay attention to detail and genuinely care about their guest!

• Stayed August 2014
Hillsborough, CA
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We were in Vancouver for 3 days after our week stay at Chateau Lake Louise. While the Fairmont CLL is a 5 star property on a gorgeous location, it is still a huge resort, and it didn't feel as intimate as the Loden. We were so happy to have found the Loden, based on reviews on both Tripadvsor and Bookings.com. The photos on Bookings.com are true reflections of the hotel, and the service very good. As all reviews stated, it is quiet, yet exceedingly centrally located. About 25 minutes walking distance to Stanley Park, 6 minutes to the waterfront, and same to all the high end shops on Albernie and Robson. My husband used the hotel's complimentary bike, and we used the complimentary car service to go to Yaletown for dinner. Definitely a gem!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple