“My New Favorite Hotel in Vancouver”
Review of Loden Hotel

Loden Hotel
Ranked #5 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Barrie
“My New Favorite Hotel in Vancouver”
Reviewed 7 January 2009

This is an amazing new hotel in Vancouver. I would totally stay there again on my next trip without question. The service is exceptional and very personal. The rooms are beautiful and very comfortable. The restaurant is fantastic; breakfast is a little pricey but worth it as everything is so original and delicious. They even have a cool refurbished London taxi that they use for complementary car service. All in all a very cool hotel!!

• Stayed January 2009
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 14 December 2008

I just checked out of the Loden today and wish I could go right back! I've stayed at the Opus (liked it, didn't love it) and was hoping another more contemporary boutique hotel would open in Vancouver. This is it.

We were greeted by a very friendly and knowledgeable doorman (Ethan) who took care of everything from the car, luggage, room/hotel overview (he escorted us to the room) and even brought us a printout of current movies with times at a nearby theatre after we expressed interest in seeing a movie. A+ service! Everyone else we encountered was friendly, and in a really sincere and interested sort of way. I've encountered a lot of fake-friendly service, and after arriving here from the incredible and service-oriented Four Seasons in Whistler, the Loden was right on par (or better).

I loved the room. It wasn't large, but the finish-out was fantastic --- particularly the bathroom. A sliding wood door opens the bathroom into the bedroom area, but is easily closed off for complete privacy. The shower and water closet are hidden behind frosted, frameless glass doors. A separate deep soaking tub is surrounded by tumbled marble mosaic tile. There is even a speaker in the bathroom that brings the TV or iPod hook-up audio into the bathroom! The bed and linens were extremely comfortable, and wireless internet access was free. Great gym area with a lot of natural light and good machines.

We didn't have dinner at the hotel restaurant --- the chic "Italian Kitchen" a few blocks away was fabulous --- but we had an after-dinner drink at the bar. Once again, service was flawless, the crowd was a nice mix, and the atmosphere sleek and fun.

I was able to book the Loden at the $195 introductory rate, but I would unlikely consider staying anywhere else the next time I'm in Vancouver and wouldn't hesitate to pay double that rate. I've enjoyed my stay at a couple other Kor properties, and I will gladly spread the word about this fantastic find!

• Liked — Excellent service, gorgeous room, fun bar, convenient location.
  • Disliked — Only having time to stay 1 night!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
5 Thank lagunadallas
Fort Wayne IN
Reviewed 5 December 2008

I had the pleasure of staying at the Loden last weekend for a quick trip to Vancouver. The outside is unpretentious, but opens up to a welcoming lobby and staff.
Everything about the Loden is first rate. The modern high tech features make it special from other luxury hotels. The key card gives you secure access to the elevator by pressing it against a screen and the same card rubbed on the door lock opens the door. Rooms are equiped with wireless internet hook up (or wired) and they would loan a computer if you needed it. Ipod docking in the radio was a nice touch. Suites were equipped with Wii systems! The room also had bathrobes, slippers, steamer and umbella for guest use. The bathroom was luxurious with a deep soaking tub as well as a stall shower . The room was fairly small, but comfortable with great bedding.
The location is very central, close to shopping and restaurants, but with free car service (in a converted London cab) within the downtown area.
I would stay here again without hesitation, but would probably eat at another restaurant for breakfast. There was free coffee (expresso machine) and tea in the morning in the lobby. The restaurant was attractive with attentive wait staff. The menu was unique (which is hard to find for breakfast), but very expensive.

• Liked — room amenities
  • Disliked — room was small
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank alisononthego
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 29 November 2008

We were among the first to stay at this brand new property near Robson Street. We were uncertain whether the newness would mean things were unfinished, but despite the fact that there didn't seem to be many guests yet, the hotel was fully operational and everything went smoothly during our stay.

The rooms are on the small side but they are very well planned so they still feel spacious and there are lots of little thoughtful touches such as a built-in bench with drawers in the entryway, and a cool button system that indicates "do not disturb" without the cheesy door hanger. The finishes and upgraded bathroom make the room feel more luxurious than the size would otherwise warrant.

There are nice touches such as turn-down service, free internet and a car service that took us to and picked us up from our dinner on the Saturday night. There is a busy restaurant/lounge in the lobby (we didn't try it out) but it didn't create noise or nuisance to the rooms.

The only reason I didn't give it five stars is that I think it's a little over-priced at its full rate of $350 (we got an introductory rate of $250 so felt pretty happy about the value). We splurged for the upgrade to the "park view" which I don't think was really worth it; there are enough buildings around (and construction underway) that there isn't much of a view to the north shore.

Nonetheless, the Loden is well-located, nicely appointed and offers great service. Only time will tell how successful it will be, but I would definitely recommend it!

• Liked — Great location, very nice room
  • Disliked — Ceiling heating vent seemed to have been installed wrong, so fan blew directly on us in the middle of the night (a small start-up glitch, I'm sure)
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business