“Absolutely delicious sushi”

Neighbourhood: Downtown
Toronto, Canada
“Absolutely delicious sushi”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

When walking in to the restaurant, we noticed there were a lot of Japanese people dining at Aki - I always take this as a good sign. The server we had was efficient, and very helpful when we ordered. The sushi was so fresh, and the fish literally melted in your mouth. We ended up ordering a second round of sushi. Our server recommended their house rolls - these are highly recommended. They are big, like Futomaki size, but there is maybe 6 or 7 different types of fish inside. Soooo yummy. And the other nice part, is that we were in and out in under an hour!

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank AliToronto_Canada

Delta, Canada
“Beautiful Location, Fantastic Menu”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

This is *not* one of those churn-and-burn type of places. You will not get your sushi extra fast or extra cheap. What you will receive here is professional service, and some unique menu items you may not typically find anywhere else. Being in business in Vancouver since 1963 also says a lot.

We were a party of four, with two of my guests being family from out-of-town who wanted some great Westcoast style Japanese food.

I loved that they had an extensive seasonal menu. My favourite wasthe octopus sashimi, which was seasoned appropriately and served with nori. The steak teriyaki, which as actual steak cooked to your preference, was served with lightly cooked bean sprouts and a homemade teriyaki sauce. Sushi and sashimi were super fresh. Portions were not huge, but also not skimpy either.

Prices are reflective of the area. We had not problems finding street parking. The restaurant is nicely decorated, and the service was casual and friendly.

I'm located about 45 minutes east of Vancouver proper, so I won't be a regular customer here. However, I will certainly recommend this place for a nice dinner to any one.

Afterward, be sure to take a stroll down to the sea wall for views of Coal Harbour, and for an after dinner ice cream if you have room.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank WanderingTraveller8
Vancouver, Canada
“Great for lunch and dinner”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I have been to Aki twice now, once for dinner with my wife and grandkids and once for lunch with a friend. Food and service on both occasions were excellent. My grandkids have some food allergies (food needs to be gluten free) and the restaurant had no problems in ensuring that everything we ordered was edible for them. I believe the current location is reasonably recent and is not in the centre of town but is in a nice area within easy walking distance of the Vancouver seawall. I would certainly recommend this restaurant for its excellent sushi and very pleasant and efficient service. I found the prices to be less expensive than comparable restaurants in the centre of town.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank IAG2608
Whistler, Canada
“Experience Soured in the details”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I went to Aki Restaurant based on a suggestion from the Concierge at the Sutton Place Hotel. Figuring that she would not lead me astray, I took my brother for dinner. Walking in, the room is nothing spectacular, it looks like it used to be a lounge of some sort and they turned it into a Japanese restaurant. There was some confusion with seating us, everyone working there seems to do everything. Wait staff tend bear, seat guests, perhaps they are not busy enough to warrant a host or hostess.

The male and female servers that took our orders had no idea who was looking after our table. We would order a round of sashimi and a minute later we were asked by the other server. We started with the prawn tempura, we were still enjoying the quirkiness of the staff dynamic, it was amusing at this time. To their credit, they were very polite and for the most part, attempted to be helpful. The tempura was average at best, the batter was consolidated and dark, and tasted like the oil had been well used. Obviously no ice in their batter to give it that light airy texture...I digress! We were hungry so we took care other tempura quickly. Portion size was decent for the price. We had 2 pieces of unagi, it was a decent size (not too big) and the flavour was good. The teryaki steak was barely edible, the bean sprouts under it were delicious. We ordered it medium rare, is was a thin piece of striploin, not palatable.

We had the toro (tuna belly), that was the best dish of the night, nice creamy texture.

The key element of this evening of quirky events, was the chilled sake I ordered. There were 2 bottles of the same brand of Junmai sake, I explicitly ordered the $65 bottle, the other option off the "gold" version of the sake in question was almost $40 more, at $100. Now, I do not mind paying a little bit extra, for good sake, but here is where it gets weird. The guy who served us came and dropped the ice bucket and glasses off, with the bottle buried, and ran off like the restaurant was on fire. My brother and I chuckled at the continued circus and waited 5, then 10 minutes for the server to come back and pour the sake. Now I have always been told it is bad luck to pour your own sake, and have never seen a server just dump the bottle and run off...after a few more minutes of being ignored, I did the honours, and poured.

The chilled sake was good, but the taste went sour when I looked at the bill and saw that their little bait and switch had cost me an extra $40. The female server brought the bill, I asked for clarification, and mentioned I had specifically ordered the bottle at $65. She apologized and said that they were out of that one. She apologized once again, but made no effort to offer any sort of compensation.

She could tell that I was visibly annoyed, and she offered tea or ice cream to make up for it...I would have given this place an average rating, but the way it was handled was very poor. The food is nothing exceptional, decor same, but the service is the nail in the coffin. I shall never return.

• Visited July 2014
Saint John, Canada
“Tasty maki rolls and saki”
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Our concierge at the Hyatt Regency on Burrard recommended Aki on West Pender when we asked for a good sushi spot. We loved it. Fresh and tasty and recommended!V

Visited July 2014