“Chilling after Dinner”

Cross street: Alberni or Hornby
Burnaby, Canada
“Chilling after Dinner”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I loved the atmosphere. The charm of the ceilings and walls and how the room had various tables with different style chairs. The wait staff was very nice and personable and I could tell they were experianced by the ease of which they served and took orders. The live Jazz music on saturday night was fun! The drinks were delish but expensive.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Catherine C

Vancouver, Canada
“Almost perfect - high tea”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

For a special treat I took my daughter to the Fairmont for High Tea. The ambiance and decor was lovely. I had the Earl Grey Lavender tea which was very delightful and my daughter had the plain Earl Grey which was also very nice.

The tea sandwiches were very tasty and offered a nice selection. The petit fours were also very nice and provided a delicious choices.

My favorite were the scones. Plain and raisin with clotted cream and in house apricot jam. I've had many scones but I would say these would be my favorite to date. I'm not a fan of apricot jam but this was delicious. Very smooth and no apricot bits in it at all.

If I were to rate it right now I'd give it 5 out of 5 but where this experience fell short was in the service. At the price that is being charged for High Tea I would think that part of what you are paying for is the service. Unfortunately we did not have good service.

It was slow right from the very beginning and carried through right to the end. I noticed that other tables didn't seem to have the same issues with service that we were experienceing so I guess it was just our bad luck to get this particular server. Too bad because everything else was lovely.

At these prices I want everything to be perfect.

• Visited June 2013
“Afternoon Tea - Yum!”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I sort of dragged my husband and 7 year old son to tea but they really enjoyed it. They had a great kid's tea that was just perfect for my son. Our waiter, Wayne, was very attentive and even helped my son when he couldn't find the washroom. The food was excellent. Their teapots are much better than the ones at the Fairmont in Seattle, albeit super hot so watch out. They do have a hot pad on the handle but still hot! It was a great way to spend the afternoon with my guys. I think I can get them to do it again! Also, the doorman was very helpful as well as he was able to get their courtsey car to drive us back to the Fairmont Watefront so we didn't have to pay for a cab.

• Visited May 2013
“Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We went for Afternoon tea. A lovely, quiet respite from the busy shops outside. Excellent service, wonderful tea. Definitely worth adding the glass of Moet and Chandon!
Delicious, light scones.
Great sandwiches.
Lots of sweets and pastries.
Our only complaint is that they served 2 different sweets both with mocha filling. The mocha just didn't go with the tea. Would have preferred regular eclairs.
Gorgeous setting.

• Visited May 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Not my first choice in the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, but a strong sloppy second silver medal.”
Reviewed 28 April 2013

I visited 900 West at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver as a guest for a business lunch. My first choice at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver was Griffins, but unfortunately the person who invited me did not make a reservation and therefore we could not be seated. We then headed to 900 West and there was adequate seating.

I chose a cranberry soda beverage and the Carvery Sandwich, their signature prime rib sandwich. I chose medium rare. The sandwich came with a side of fries and two onion rings. The sandwich was good but at $24 the value for money spent would be better at the lunch buffett at Griffins at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver.

My lunch host also chose a cranberry soda and the Chop Salad.

Our server was quite attentive and was ready to take our orders (even though we had just sat down and not even had a chance to review the menu). I assume she wanted to turn the tables in her section fast as many of the guests choose 900 West as a second choice to Griffins. I do give the server kudos as she was quite polite as she returned to our table to advise my lunch host that his credit card do not go through the electronic payment system.

• Visited February 2013