“Reminded us of Italy”
Review of Arriva Ristorante

Arriva Ristorante
Reserve with OpenTable
Arriva Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #343 of 3,893 Restaurants in Vancouver
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Commercial Drive
Cross street: Graveley
Transit: Multiple Bus stops along commercial. Closest is near Graveley.
Reviewed 22 May 2013

We were driving down Commercial Drive looking for an Italian restaurant, and this was the first one we saw - so we went in. It was around 2:10, and the place was almost empty - it took a while for someone to notice we were standing there waiting.
The place itself looked rather elegant on the inside, and the Antipasti bar looked good - so that was what I ordered as an appetizer (the price is 16 dollars for an antipasti plate for two, but since my husband is not an antipasti fan, I asked the waiter if I could get a plate for one - and he said yes - we didn't ask how much it cost, but when the check came it turned out to be 10 dollars, which was totally fine). I was rather pleased with it - it had sundried tomatoes (which I love, but these were a bit too salty), pickled red peppers (yummy), pickled onions (also very good), mushrooms, a cold pasta salad, a slice of salami, a piece of cheese, an artichoke heart, some clams or something (I didn't taste those), klamata olives, etc. The bread (which came with the traditional plate with olive oil and balsami sauce) was not bad either - it was warm, and the bottom was crunchy and a bit burnt, which was great.
All in all the appetizer + bread were good, but nothing very special.
Then we got the courses we ordered - I ordered gnocchi in tomato sauce, and my husband ordered penne with tomato and sausage sauce. And the gnocchi is the reason I am writing this review - it was excellent! Very fresh, and like the title of this review suggests - reminded us of our trips to Italy. In fact, since I was pretty full from the antipasti (I always make the mistake of eating too much before the main course...) my husband opted to eat half of my dish, instead of the other half of his (which he took home).
The gnocchi was great, and its sauce was great - a wonderful dish which will probably result in us coming back.
We didn't have time for dessert so we can't say anything about that (though I would really have liked to try it, based on the quality of the gnocchi...).
Oh, and about the price - the restaurant isn't very cheap, but we felt what we ate was worth the price (both pasta plates cost about 16-17 dollars)

2  Thank N G

Reviewed 8 April 2013

We are going to this nice and friendly restaurant very often.
The delicious Italian dishes are always prepared to your own taste and preference.
Example: I have many allergies and since the food is prepared one plate at a time, the Chef can accommodate my needs.

Reviewed 2 April 2013

We had a b'day party for my husband here at lunch time today. Prior to our coming, the owner was very accommodating in opening the restaurant for lunch on a holiday Monday, which apparently isn't usually the case and our reservation was handled very well, even though they knew we were just visiting Vancouver. The staff, Dustin and Kelsey especially, were great, looking after the needs of 12 people and a toddler. All the meals were tasty and hot - a trick to make sure 11 dishes from the kitchen arrived in such good form. I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant. My only complaint would be there is nowhere in any bathroom to change a toddler, except in front of and between sinks ;-(

1  Thank carrie808
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I went here for a small retirement dinner and was not expecting too much but I was wrong . I thought maybe it had deteriorated over the years but it hasn't . Somebody ordered an antipasti plate for the table and it was great, lots of fresh and high quality ingredients I had the veal and mushrooms and it was really very good and an ample serving . The service was very , very good . Our waiter was always there when needed but never intrusive . Reasonable price as well .

1  Thank rdmiller_pcj
Reviewed 22 November 2012

Having had a great dining experience at this retaurant a few years ago we decided to try it again. Big dissappointment.
With reluctance we were given a table we requested although the place was not full at all.
Sevice was lackluster, possibly because we were not "regulars". (Other tables arriving later got served before us). It took 3 requests for bread to be brought to the table and when it arrived in 2 layers wrapped in a knapkin, the top layer was warm and fresh but the bottom was cold and stale. (We surmised it may have been leftovers if not from another table then from another day.)

Meals were poor. Daughters veal parmigiane was tough, tasteless and expensive. Wifes reasonably priced linguine pescatore was virtually 'seafoodless" although the sauce was fine. My spaghetti alio olli (not sure of spelling) tasted OK for lukewarm spaghetti.
Wine was a total ripoff. Even more so than usual. It seemed to be closer to a 400% markup for plonk rather than the more usual ripoff of %250 - 300.

All in all a dissappointing meal. This was our second and last time for this overpriced effected restaurant

1  Thank aidan k