“not your homemade indian fare”
Review of Vij's Restaurant - MOVED

Vij's Restaurant
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: South Granville
Reviewed 6 March 2014

According to my Indian friends, if you're looking for the stuff Mom makes, this is not for you. But it's great creative indian food :) Go early or be prepared to wait a long time.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Judging from its entrance and hostess, I was a little hesitant, thinking whether this is an Indian-fusion restaurant only, as I wanted to go for some real East Indian food in a nicer setting. Vjs didn't disappoint me, the food was really good! Service was good, as we got a bit of finger food to eat while we were waiting for the table (we waited for an hour and a half!). A couple recommendations to the restaurant are: the drinks were a little over-rated, and the lack of air conditioning in the summer was brutal for an east indian meal. Hope the restaurant could at least put in a few more fans for air ventilation.

Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

The atmosphere is unique and worth the wait.

The food is filled with such incredible flavours.

A real adventure

Reviewed 5 March 2014

As soon as we were seated servers came around to offer yummy little morsels of food. Then we were given the best chai I have had the pleasure to drink. Our food was excellent, start with the eggplant. The service was professional and courteous. The environment was simply delightful. No reservations so arrive early 5:15 p.m. or be prepared to wait. But waiting isn’t bad because you can enjoy a glass of wine and they walk around with finger food. We will definitely return next time we are in Vancouver and I would highly recommend Vij’s to you.

1  Thank David L
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I have eaten at Vij's at least once a year over the past 15 years; usually only ever when I have guests in town. Every single item on the menu is amazing, the beautiful smells upon entering, the friendly staff offering small bites to tide you over, the owner warmly welcoming guests - it's the best experience for dining out in Vancouver. Recently I went and had the eggplant appetizer (delicious with subtly jalapeno spice), the pork spoons (melt in your mouth good), lamb popsicles (my husband's favourite meal ever) and the sablefish. Plates were practically licked clean!