“One of my favorites!”

Neighbourhood: South Granville
Milan, Italy
“One of my favorites!”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

First off, I know a lot of people don't like to wait for a table but Vij's makes it an experience instead of a wait. They opened at 5:30 and I got there at 6 and there was already a 45 minute wait. I sat in their lounge, ordered a drink and enjoyed free appetizers - it was a proper aperitif!
The meal was absolutely incredible. I ordered a beat salad and the lamb "popsicles", which had the most amazing sauce! The server was incredibly attentive and offered me half portions because I was dining alone. He knew I was very sensitive to spice and brought over rita that helped a lot and didn't take away from the flavors.
One of my absolutely favorites!

• Visited April 2014

Vancouver, Canada
“Intoxicating flavours”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Delicious! Need I say more? But I need a 100 characters to submit, so I will...Lamb Popsicles. And the service is great.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank 63Pictures
London, Canada
“Incredible Food Worth the Annoying Wait”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We had a great night out in Vancouver with friends who wanted to try to get a table at Vij's restaurant on West 11th. They don't take reservations so when we arrived we were told a two hour wait. Normally, apparently, you need to stay there in a holding area in the back (drinks and free appetizers are available - just don't eat too many appies as they are really good and you could literally fill up while you wait) but we were told we could go for a walk and be back in an hour. Perfect - we went to a friends wine bar (the Stable House - separate review) for a warm up.

Back at Vij's the tables were turning when we returned and it was only a few minutes more wait for a table. We ordered two appetizers (curried chickpeas with ricotta cookies and sautéed portabello mushrooms) and four mains (saag paneer, organic chicken, braised short ribs, and grilled sablefish) and shared everything. Fresh-made naan and chapati rounded out the table.

Really good Indian food is head and shoulders above the norm. This was up there as some of the best Indian food I have ever had.

The "no reservation" concept adds a bit of uniqueness to the experience but it's more of an annoyance to me. I rated the service low because of that. That being said, if you plan properly for the extra long wait and gear your hunger appropriately, the great food was worth the wait.

• Visited April 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Worth the wait”
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

I do not do lineups. But this place is an exception. This is likely the best Indian food in North America. Every morsel was eaten at the table with everyone sampling everything. I can not describe which was the best dish since they were all awesome.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank FromToronto2011
Vancouver, Canada
“Absolutely perfect except you can't reserve”
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

We went on a Monday night at 5:00 even though it doesn't open until 5:30 and even though that is way to early for dinner , because if you don't do that you have to wait hours and they won't take a reservation . HOWEVER , once you sit down all that is forgotten . The food and the service is fantastic ! Every dish is something you have not had before . Every dish is a surprising combination of the freshest highest quality ingredients . Every dish is an absolute taste sensation . You just want to keep eating and enjoying . I have never been disappointed in a single forkful . Always share so that you can enjoy as many dishes as possible .

Visited March 2014