“A whole new food experience....”
Review of Vij's Restaurant - MOVED

Vij's Restaurant
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: South Granville
London uk
“A whole new food experience....”
Reviewed 4 April 2010

INNOVATIVE INDIAN FOOD CREATED WITH AN EYE FOR QUALITY, THAT IS SUPPORTED BY OUTSTANDING SERVICE.

If you adore indian food at it's delectable best, and want to experience a pioneering approach to desiging a menu to have you salivating, along with a quality service to boot...get yourself down to Vij's (or it's sister restaurant next door - Rangoli's).....but get there quick, it's get's busy!

As soon as you walk in through the door, you are immediately hit with an air of a quality restaurant design straight out of a Maharaj's Palace - that's just the beginning of your journey!

The service of free indian tea (Chai), in massive white mugs, along with complimentary mini indian appertizers offered along with the free chai top-ups, by your server, makes you feel completely at home.

The starters are creative, and demonstrates a fearless approach to food innovation and food mastery. Your eyes are just glued to the combination of ingredients fused together so successfully by Vij himself, andf his trusty band of merry chef's - who are on view through an open kitchen.

I highly recommend Vij's or Rangoli's.....Vancouver is lucky to have such talent on it's doorstep.

Nick, England, UK.

1 Thank SoMuchMoreToSee

Emerson, New Jersey
“Service makes you feel like a Maharaja.”
Reviewed 25 March 2010

After multiple recommendations from people we know who have lived or been to Vancouver and finding it always near the top, if not number 1 on tripadvisor, we couldn't pass Vij's up. After ready a few of the previous reviews, we must have been the luckiest people in the world, because when we arrived at about 8 pm on a Sunday we were seated immediately with NO wait (it was the night of the closing ceremonies so that might have been it).

Simply put the food and service was excellent. Before I get into more details I will voice my one issue with Indian restaurants in general. There are so many places that serve superb Indian food for very cheap, that I can't help but notice how relatively expensive this restaurant is. With that said I can't say I had any issue with the food. We left with very full bellies and a smile on both of our faces. We also really enjoyed the little things like the friendly and efficient service and the complimentary chai and snacks.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The flavors from the sauces - to die for. Impossibly high expectations were met.”
Reviewed 28 February 2010

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
New York City, New York
“Still the one”
Reviewed 28 February 2010

I was first at Vij's last year at the recommendation of the hotel concierge, and my friends and I had a wonderful meal very authentic - especially the level of spice in the food. The restaurant is small but the tables are always full and you are likely to be taken to the rear seating area as you wait for a table to open up. You are offered drinks and quick snacks (which are free) which satiate the hunger and keep you hankering for the full meal.

Fast forward a year and we are in BC for the Olynpics and the restaurant is still packed, now a bit better known and yet the food and service have not suffered a bit. Braised Beef ribs are still spicy and delicion and the meal is a full size portion not a stylized presentation.

Keep up the good work and I'll keep this on my list of must do's when I go to Vancouver.

1 Thank Pandora_is_Eve
Okanagan
“Best dining experience EVER, and the most delicious cuisine!!”
Reviewed 15 February 2010

We visited Vij's while visiting from the Okanagan after many rave reviews from family and friends. We arrived early, about 4:45 (restaurant opens at 5:30) so we decided to take a walk around the block. By the time we arrived back at 5:30 there was a line up; great anticipation by this point. Got in, got a table (wonderful, WONDERFUL, service) and ordered drinks. Cocktails are fairly pricey at $9.00 per drink but absolutely delicious! (the drinks actually contain indian spices, a totally unique and wonderful experience for me!)

We ordered the garam masala portobello mushrooms in a porcini cream curry as an appetizer, which are honestly incomparable to anything I have tasted before, they were absolutely delicious, as well and the Punjabi heart attack, which was also very good . The service is incredible, we sampled many other appies (the waitresses bring them around for everyone) which were all delicious, and there was always someone there to ask if there was anything we needed, filling water and drink orders, and just giving us basic information on the menu.

We ordered the bc spot prawns and halibut, as well as the wine marinated lamb popsicles to share. Both were absolutely their own experience, with completely different layering of flavors, with the proteins cooked to absolute perfection. It was honestly a completely amazing experience.

We finished the night with garam masala chocolates and complimentary chai, and loved every second of it!

We cannot wait to visit Vij's again, and I highly recommend the Indian Mojito, the portobello mushrooms , the lamb popsicles, the garam masala chocolates and the chai tea! Enjoy!
Much appreciation to Vikram and Meeru, thanks for the great time!

5 Thank Okanagan_2010