“Great spot, good meal”

West Restaurant + Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
West Restaurant + Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #294 of 3,915 Restaurants in Vancouver
Price range: US$24 - US$39
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: South Granville
Cross street: 13th St.
Description: Recognized as the 'jewel in Vancouver's culinary crown', West Restaurant's outstanding contemporary regional cuisine and seamless service has earned much critical acclaim. Pristine seasonal ingredients are sourced to deliver superbly conceived dishes offering modern interpretations of classics. For those keen to observe 'behind the scenes' action and experience West from a unique perspective, the two 'chef's tables' can be found directly adjacent to the presentation kitchen. One of the highlights of the dining room is a temperature-controlled wall of wine, and under it, the long cherry wood bar that gracefully anchors the conversation-where martinis and cocktails are composed of fresh herbs, juices and creative infusions. A Werner Forster installation floats under the ceiling-a study of light and motion. The leather chairs are the Mario Bellini designed originals found at MOMA, surrounding etched stone tabletops, highlighting a handsome and inviting room that speaks to contemporary Vancouver.
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Its hard to find anything that is less that top flight at this midtown restaurant in Vancouver. We were seated quickly, service was always attentive but not overbearing and the food was generally excellent. A little pricey but it is, after all, Vancouver. Dinners were both excellent though my lamb was a little more fat laden than I would have expected for such a high end spot. No hesitation in recommending, despite that.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Wow! Where do we begin? We were in Vancouver to spend Easter with family and perhaps celebrate my husband's birthday....at home with kids and grandkids. Well, when the door was opened at Suzanne's house, there stood oldest son, Trevor. SURPRISE!

Now Trevor and the family(10 of us in total) drive over to West Restaurant http://www.westrestaurant.com/menus/dinner. This is above and beyond anything you could imagine for class, observance, being attentive to guests, quality of food and wine selection.

When you look at this menu you will see so much to choose from and, believe me, ten different people ordered 15 different items or more....at least it seemed like it.

Our server, Chris, was one of THE best we have encountered in any of our travels. Knows his wines, pairings, what's what and takes the time to explain it all, even if he had to repeat it a time or two. Might I add, it was always with a smile.

I ordered the lobster gnocchi and two scallops. OMG! It was not over whelming in quantity (I was advised of this prior to ordering) but the flavour, quality of ingredients and richness could not be beat. Believe me, between the appetizers some of the family ordered to the Entrees and wines, there was nothing left over on the plates except, perhaps, the drool from everyone explaining how wonderful it all was.

The range ordered was from lobster gnocchi, lamb, salmon, pasta, beef, oysters, crab salad, carrots, frites and mushrooms. If I missed anything that anyone ordered, I am sorry!

Suzanne made a checkerboard birthday cake for BOTH of us and they allowed her to bring it to the restaurant and have it served. Although my husband is much older than I am, our birthdays are only one month apart. (I lied, he is 30 days older than me, but for that one month he sure gets teased).

When the meal was over, I offered my card to Chris. He was so polite and said he wanted to read what I was going to say and then returned with the card of his manager and a listing of the other restaurants in their group.

Were we impressed? You bet we were. Oh I forgot to mention...when ladies got up to go to the rest room ...a waiter was at the door opening it into the hallway, then another came and put domes over their food so it would remain hot and always, always folded the napkins up and placed them on the side of the plate. These domes were removed as soon as the ladies returned from the rest room and before they sat down. Attention to detail....was never taken for granted by the staff.

This establishment works very hard to learn the ingredients and wine available, give that knowledge back to the guest and pay extreme attention to detail in the presentation of the foods to replacing the napkins.

If you can, go here for the experience. We will again. Thank you Trevor and family for the lovely dinner out and thank you Chris and all your assistants for being there to help us throughout the evening

Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

The service was very friendly,
The food was not bad but the flavors were plain , cauliflower soup fore startes mixt with bacon is not always a good start..
The interior looks very American, and American with a chiny but bad taste...especially the silver things on the sealing and the hideous wall paper .. We weren't satisfied..

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Great place. Good sound control so easy to hear. Accessible. Outstanding food and very good service. Varied and interesting menu.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

This is the second time we've visited West. First time was for lunch, second time was dinner during "dine out in Vancouver". Both times the meals were very small. Service was good. Tables are jammed into a long, narrow dining room so that you are right up against the people at the next table. Just room enough to squeeze thru' sideways. You can't help but hear the conversation at the table beside you. Doubt we will go back.