“Fall-off-the-bone lamb shoulder!!!”

Afghan Horsemen Restaurant
Ranked #223 of 3,709 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Afghani
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining
Neighbourhood: Granville Island & Fairview
New York City, New York
“Fall-off-the-bone lamb shoulder!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

We ordered the Horsemen's special platter for 2. The food was very good and price was not too expensive. Very nice ambience too.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank RashidMarwat

Vancouver, Canada
“Cool place for veggie and meat eaters”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

I have eaten here a few times, I am vegan so always go for the vegan platter always plenty to eat for two and very tasty.
We have been with meat eating friends and they say the meat dishes are fantastic, we have sat on the floor to eat in the small room that's a good experience and sat at table with friends .
I have only ever eaten here on a weekday so its never been that busy but believe on weekends there are afghan dancers .

• Visited June 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
“Garlic!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Fabulous tasty reasonably priced!! I had the vegetarian ravioli stuffed with spinach and cheese the pita bread was yummy and the tomato sauce all over my meal was to die for. You do for sure have to love garlic because its soaking in it but I love garlic best best meal ever!!

• Visited August 2013
Vancouver
“Try the lamb shoulder..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

I have been going to the Afghan Horsemen for over 15 years and have never been disappointed.I have tried quite a few things on the menu and everything I have tried has been delicious.Picture Indian food mixed with Greek food and you're on the right track.The "house specialty" roasted lamb shoulder is some of the best I've ever had.It's so tender you can cut it with a fork.
The Afghan Horsemen also gives you the option of eating at a regular table or sitting on the comfy pillows in one of the 2 pillow rooms.My wife and I always opt for the pillow rooms, we prefer the one right by the front door.It's got a more tranquil vibe away from the bustle of the main dining room.Traditional Afghan music lends a nice authentic feel to the place.They also have belly dancers on certain nights.It's a fun place with great food and a relaxed atmosphere.Not fancy,but awesome just the same.Oh,and it's not expensive.It will run you about the same as your average Greek restaurant.
It's located right near the entrance to Granville Island.
Miss the lamb shoulder at your own peril. It's better than my mom's.Don't tell her I said so.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank VancouverRik
Vancouver, Canada
“Didn't disappoint”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

I had been wanting to try this place for a while as I'd had heard from friends it was a great place. I went with my dad for dinner and we were quite impressed. We ordered the Ramadan feast to share and so we started with 2 types of soup, a lentil-based one and the other tomato and noodle one. They were very different but both delicious. For our main course, the platter included lamb shoulder, chicken kebab, and beef kebab. Both the lamb and chicken were excellent and I would get both again but the beef was overcooked unfortunately. Try the lamb with the spicy green sauce, an excellent combination. With the meats, we had rice with carrots and raisins on top. The rice was perfectly cooked, not too soft and slightly chewy. Delicious! The platter included 2 potato sides as well. The first was very thinly sliced potatoes, battered, then deep fried. I personally thought they were just ok but my dad loved them, especially with the spicy green sauce. The other potato side was served with a little tomato sauce and this I really liked. For dessert, we tried the milk pudding as well as the rice pudding. Both excellent, with my dad favouring the rice pudding and me preferring the slightly sweeter milk pudding. The dessert was served with lovely Afghan tea, which was just black tea with cardamom. All this for under $50! What a deal!

The service was lovely, it seemed like the waiter genuinely wanted all the people he was serving to really enjoy the food and the whole experience. He was very warm, friendly, obviously passionate about the food and culture. We sat in the "Afghan room" and thoroughly enjoyed the more traditional experience of sitting on cushions and eating from a low table.

Highly recommended!