“Just OK!”

House On Dunbar B&B
Ranked #20 of 53 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 October 2009

We stayed here for one night before flying back to Europe as this B&B is conveniently located to reach the airport. However we were not very satisfied with our experience here. We arrived late and were shown to our rooms ,which were located in the basement. One room has an ensuite bathroom (hot water did not work) and the other room has a private bathroom which is however located across the hallway. Our host informed us that she would leave early the next morning and that she would therefore leave us the breakfast (some fruit and juice) on the table.

Even though the rooms were clean and there is a nice area for all guests to relax, this is not what we expect from a B&B. We felt like this place is run as a business and we missed the private touch of hosts caring for their guests. If you just look for a room with a bed and to do half the breakfast by yourself, this is the right place.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jfors
HouseOnDunbar, owner at House On Dunbar B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2009

Your reservation specified that your arrival time would be 6pm and you arrived late in the evening. It would have been helpful if you had notified me of the change in your arrival time as I was forced into canceling a dinner engagement
because I did not know when you would arrive.

When you arrived, you stated that you wanted a good sleep-in the next morning.
I provide a full cooked breakfast for my guests at 8:30am. I am not able to provide a full breakfast all morning.
When my guests request early or late breakfast, I provide my healthy heart breakfast selection; an extra service my guests always appreciate.
My healthy heart breakfast is a real favorite with my guests: fruit salad of 5 or 6 fresh fruit, homemade juice from fresh fruit, yogourt, granola, 12 grain bread for toast, almond butter, nutella, low sugar jams. The homemade juice is a particular favorite and constantly gets rave reviews from everybody.

You must be aware of the other extra services that I provided for you such as a late check-out because your air flight was leaving in the late
afternoon. Also, I provided you with a scale to enable you to weigh your luggage. There were lots of complimentary snack foods, granola bars, juice, soft drinks, tea and coffee available.

I also remember talking to you for some time about your travels. I feel that certainly constitutes personal service.

I did not know that you had a problem with the hot water. My B&B always has an abundance of hot water because I have an extra large hot water heater. Sometimes it takes one or two minutes for the hot water to arrive when the hot water has not been used for a period of time.

You stated that my B&B was clean and the location convenient to the airport and yet you rated the cleanliness and location at 3 out of 5. I
wonder why there is this inconsistency.

You should also be aware that most hotels and B&Bs will not allow single night accommodation as I did for you.

Service for my guests is my top priority. I am always happy to go that extra mile.
However, it is unrealistic to expect service 24/7.

There are newer reviews for House On Dunbar B&B

Reviewed 30 September 2009

Charming 1st class accomodation with a very warm welcome from Joanne. Helpful advise on where to go and how to get there. Great healthy breakfast. Just go and try it, you will love it.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2009

We stayed in July 2009 for 4 nights. The owner made us feel very welcome and showed us the public areas for our use - lounge/kitchen/separate entrance/bedroom and bathroom. We had the Kitsilano bedroom with separate bathroom, which suited us fine. The bathroom could be locked so that nobody else used it. We had loads of clean fresh towels daily and the basic toiletries were provided.

The complimentary drinks and snacks in the kitchen were very welcome and nice to have. Guests have full use of the TV and there is an internet station with computer for your use. All decor is very up-do-date with no frilly curtains what-so-ever!

Breakfasts were very good, with plenty of choice and great fresh coffee. My husband cannot have caffiene and Joanne had even purchased some Decaff especially for him. Joanne often popped down in the evening when we had returned from our day out, and had a chat, which was really nice and we gained a lot of local knowledge too.

There are loads of brochures available of what to do in Vancouver, and advice and details of how to get somewhere is always on offer. The B&B is located in a very pleasant area with good access to Downtown Vancouver. We would stay at House on Dunbar again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2009

My husband and I stayed at the House on Dunbar for 4 nights in August 2009. Ours was the best room in the house - a very nicely decorated bedroom on the second floor with a flatscreen TV and DVD player and a large ensuite bathroom. Compared to the other two rooms in the basement it was certainly brighter, but also the most expensive room in the house. There's one room in the basement that I might even have preferred but it had already been booked. That one is nicely decorated, has an ensuite bathroom and a window too. It's advantage is that it is next to the guest area downstairs which means that you are by yourself, whereas there are other rooms on the second floor that are used by the landlady.
The guest area in the basement is very comfortable and offers a variety of extras. There is a fully equipped kitchen that guests can use, a huge flatscreen TV and 24/7 internet access. The fridge holds cold drinks that are complimentary, which we thought was very nice.
The landlady is friendly, considerate and helpful if you need advice. We felt well taken care of. However, what you don't get in this B&B is "the staying with grandma" experience. If that's what you are looking for in a B&B, you need to stay somewhere else. We were very happy with what we got!
The location of the House on Dunbar is good. We didn't want to stay in a dull hotel chain room downtown, but preferred a residential area where we could get a real feel of the city outside the downtown area. We were aware of a necessary commute in order to get downtown. There is a bus station close by, the bus runs every 10-20 minutes - depending on the time of day - and it takes about 30 minutes on the bus to get downtown. We would choose this over an expensive downtown hotel again, especially since the Dunbar neighborhood is just gorgeous.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2009

While the location and hostess were very good, the accommodations were inferior. Our room was in the basement with no window and the private bath was down the hall - not convenient.

The sheets on the bed were coarse and the pillows were old and lumpy - very uncomfortable.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LolaaCanada
HouseOnDunbar, owner at House On Dunbar B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2009

I DO NOT KNOW YOU.

I do have one B&B room that has a private bathroom named the Kitsilano room. This room has four floor-to-ceiling south facing vertical windows. Hardly "windowless". In fact, very bright and vibrant. This room and its private bathroom has just been re-designed by an award winning designer and my house was featured in the Vancouver Parade of Renovated Homes in June, 2008.

The large living/dining/full kitchen guest area has an open space concept pronounced by plenty of natural light from two long rows of skylights, sizeable windows and glass patio doors. Again, not "windowless".

Also, I do not have a basement in my house.

The sheets that I use are of excellent quality, 2 pillows are down-filled, 2 quallofill. The duvet is also down and the mattress high quality Posturpedic, pillow topped.

I know that I consistently provide my guests with the utmost consideration and hospitality as well as provide them with excellent facilities.

Reviewed 5 July 2009

We stayed at House on Dunbar B&B for two nights in June 2009. The house is located in a nice, residential neighborhood in the Kitsilano neighborhood of Vancouver. The B&B is very easy driving distance from downtown, Stanley Park, and UBC. Our hostess had good suggestions for things to do and see, and breakfast was great.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2009

I located The House on Dunbar on the internet, after viewing the numerous other selections of B&Bs in Vancouver. The website offers an honest and true portrayal of this wonderful B&B. The rooms were clean and comfortable, the host , friendly and accommodating. I always felt as if I was staying in a private home with deliciously creative breakfasts and a luscious backyard for sitting . This was my first trip to Vancouver and The House on Dunbar made my visit a memorable one.
Werner ,Calw, Germany