“Exceptional”

Ranked #18 of 54 Vancouver B&B and Inns
reddeer
“Exceptional”
Reviewed 21 February 2010

The location is pertect for us ,as we are visiting our grown children four blocks away. Checking into JoAnne's is like coming home. She is a great hostess and the house is always imaculate and very comfortable. My husband likes the fact that there is a street level entrance[no stairs] I can't say enough good things about The House on Dunbar, except keep those fresh fruit smoothies coming.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Alberta
Reviewed 12 December 2009

My husband and I had a great experience at this bed and breakfast. The owner/operator was very accomodating, friendly and offered breakfast choices. Bring your slippers if staying in the basement suite.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed 12 October 2009

We stayed in the Kitsilano suite. The "sandblasted glass floor-to-ceiling windows" in the website's description are not exterior windows. The hostess's office/sewing room is on the other side of the window wall so you have neither view nor ventilation. This was disappointing. Since a couple of the upper windows (transom-style) were open, we wondered if people in the office or the adjoining lounge could hear our private conversations. A fan is thoughtfully provided which alleviated the lack of ventilation. The bedroom is not large, but certainly adequate considering that the nearby lounge area is available. The bathroom is a good size. To reach the bathroom for this suite, you must pass through a short, zig-zag hall and a corner of the kitchen. You must be dressed, as other guests can use this hall as well as the kitchen. We did not experience the hot breakfast, as it was offered too late for us, but the hostess provided the ingredients for the "Healthy Heart " (i.e. high fiber) breakfast also mentioned on the website. We were not familiar with the type of coffee maker in the self-service kitchen, but we figured out how to make it work. Written instructions would have been helpful. The hostess was kind enough to accomodate our very early arrival by allowing us to rest in the lounge and leave our luggage until the room was ready. And she had our room ready ahead of the 4-5pm check-in time. She did not smother us with attention or volunteer a lot of information, but answered questions we asked with whatever information she had. The house is in a lovely, quiet residential area. The nearest bus stop is about 4 blocks away.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
HouseOnDunbar, owner at House On Dunbar B&B, responded to this review, 13 October 2009
I have just finished an addition to the Kitsilano room. I have added an exterior opening window and in-room air conditioner. As well there is now a new plasma TV.
Did you not want to use the guest robes and slippers for trips to the bathroom?
You never noted that the rate for this room is $106 US; a total bargain in Vancouver!
Germany
Reviewed 5 October 2009

We stayed here for one night before flying back to Europe as this B&B is conveniently located to reach the airport. However we were not very satisfied with our experience here. We arrived late and were shown to our rooms ,which were located in the basement. One room has an ensuite bathroom (hot water did not work) and the other room has a private bathroom which is however located across the hallway. Our host informed us that she would leave early the next morning and that she would therefore leave us the breakfast (some fruit and juice) on the table.

Even though the rooms were clean and there is a nice area for all guests to relax, this is not what we expect from a B&B. We felt like this place is run as a business and we missed the private touch of hosts caring for their guests. If you just look for a room with a bed and to do half the breakfast by yourself, this is the right place.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jfors
HouseOnDunbar, owner at House On Dunbar B&B, responded to this review, 12 October 2009
Your reservation specified that your arrival time would be 6pm and you arrived late in the evening. It would have been helpful if you had notified me of the change in your arrival time as I was forced into canceling a dinner engagement
because I did not know when you would arrive.

When you arrived, you stated that you wanted a good sleep-in the next morning.
I provide a full cooked breakfast for my guests at 8:30am. I am not able to provide a full breakfast all morning.
When my guests request early or late breakfast, I provide my healthy heart breakfast selection; an extra service my guests always appreciate.
My healthy heart breakfast is a real favorite with my guests: fruit salad of 5 or 6 fresh fruit, homemade juice from fresh fruit, yogourt, granola, 12 grain bread for toast, almond butter, nutella, low sugar jams. The homemade juice is a particular favorite and constantly gets rave reviews from everybody.

You must be aware of the other extra services that I provided for you such as a late check-out because your air flight was leaving in the late
afternoon. Also, I provided you with a scale to enable you to weigh your luggage. There were lots of complimentary snack foods, granola bars, juice, soft drinks, tea and coffee available.

I also remember talking to you for some time about your travels. I feel that certainly constitutes personal service.

I did not know that you had a problem with the hot water. My B&B always has an abundance of hot water because I have an extra large hot water heater. Sometimes it takes one or two minutes for the hot water to arrive when the hot water has not been used for a period of time.

You stated that my B&B was clean and the location convenient to the airport and yet you rated the cleanliness and location at 3 out of 5. I
wonder why there is this inconsistency.

You should also be aware that most hotels and B&Bs will not allow single night accommodation as I did for you.

Service for my guests is my top priority. I am always happy to go that extra mile.
However, it is unrealistic to expect service 24/7.
La Rochelle, France
Reviewed 30 September 2009

Charming 1st class accomodation with a very warm welcome from Joanne. Helpful advise on where to go and how to get there. Great healthy breakfast. Just go and try it, you will love it.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 30 September 2009

We stayed in July 2009 for 4 nights. The owner made us feel very welcome and showed us the public areas for our use - lounge/kitchen/separate entrance/bedroom and bathroom. We had the Kitsilano bedroom with separate bathroom, which suited us fine. The bathroom could be locked so that nobody else used it. We had loads of clean fresh towels daily and the basic toiletries were provided.

The complimentary drinks and snacks in the kitchen were very welcome and nice to have. Guests have full use of the TV and there is an internet station with computer for your use. All decor is very up-do-date with no frilly curtains what-so-ever!

Breakfasts were very good, with plenty of choice and great fresh coffee. My husband cannot have caffiene and Joanne had even purchased some Decaff especially for him. Joanne often popped down in the evening when we had returned from our day out, and had a chat, which was really nice and we gained a lot of local knowledge too.

There are loads of brochures available of what to do in Vancouver, and advice and details of how to get somewhere is always on offer. The B&B is located in a very pleasant area with good access to Downtown Vancouver. We would stay at House on Dunbar again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 19 September 2009

My husband and I stayed at the House on Dunbar for 4 nights in August 2009. Ours was the best room in the house - a very nicely decorated bedroom on the second floor with a flatscreen TV and DVD player and a large ensuite bathroom. Compared to the other two rooms in the basement it was certainly brighter, but also the most expensive room in the house. There's one room in the basement that I might even have preferred but it had already been booked. That one is nicely decorated, has an ensuite bathroom and a window too. It's advantage is that it is next to the guest area downstairs which means that you are by yourself, whereas there are other rooms on the second floor that are used by the landlady.
The guest area in the basement is very comfortable and offers a variety of extras. There is a fully equipped kitchen that guests can use, a huge flatscreen TV and 24/7 internet access. The fridge holds cold drinks that are complimentary, which we thought was very nice.
The landlady is friendly, considerate and helpful if you need advice. We felt well taken care of. However, what you don't get in this B&B is "the staying with grandma" experience. If that's what you are looking for in a B&B, you need to stay somewhere else. We were very happy with what we got!
The location of the House on Dunbar is good. We didn't want to stay in a dull hotel chain room downtown, but preferred a residential area where we could get a real feel of the city outside the downtown area. We were aware of a necessary commute in order to get downtown. There is a bus station close by, the bus runs every 10-20 minutes - depending on the time of day - and it takes about 30 minutes on the bus to get downtown. We would choose this over an expensive downtown hotel again, especially since the Dunbar neighborhood is just gorgeous.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple