“Way, way, wayyyyyy overrated.”
Review of Toshi Sushi

Toshi Sushi
Ranked #333 of 3,732 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: South Main
Hong Kong, China
“Way, way, wayyyyyy overrated.”
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Way, way, way overhyped.

I have been to this restaurant twice now in the span of 2 years and it has never improved over the level of service and food quality. Very disappointing given the long wait (1 hour) to get a table.

Food:
Since this is a sushi restaurant, I would expect the sushi to be properly made. Not only the seaweed was crispy and dry which is a minimum, the nigiri wasn't gripped properly so pieces of rice actually fell off when you pick it up. The seafood (fish, scallops, etc) is actually quite fresh so kudos to them on that.

Service.
Both times we went in a group of 3 or more and we had difficult time getting a table. Instead of letting the big group of customers who arrived earlier to be given a table, they kept letting those in parties of 2 to be seated to the point that when we finally have a table, the party of 2 who came right after us actually finished their meal when we order our food! Also at no point there was any apology given for the situation.

I really don't see why people rave about this. I have been to sushi restaurants in japan, and many places in Asia so this place is really a waste of time and I highly suspect the sushi chefs there have been properly trained.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Ed W

Vancouver, Canada
“Almost impossible to get in, but keep trying”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This place gets packed up really quickly, so call and call. Very good sushi as per everybody's reviews. Its a hard to fine place, but makes up for that in the quality of food. Very traditional japanese place. Just close your eyes, point and eat!

• Visited June 2013
Montreal, Canada
“It was awesome!”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I really enjoyed my not expensive and so delicious meal !
I went there because some people from Vancouver told me it was cheap and very good. And definatly it was one of the best sushis I have eat in my life for the price! Red tuna was awesome, the choices were very creative and I enjoyed my evening.
It was so tasty!!!!! :))) I will always remember my dinner.....
The only problem is that they don't take any reservation so it is problematic to go with a lot of people. It waited 30 min. to get seated!

• Visited July 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Patience Rewarded”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

When you go to Toshi Sushi you must expect to wait 30 to 45 minutes to get a table. Regulars know this and start lining up 30 to 45 minutes before the restaurant opens to participate in the first sitting of the evening. A word of caution, do not have one person hold a spot while everyone else checks out the local shops. If all members of your party are not there when a table becomes available, you will not be seated.

The wait is well worth it. The sushi is fresh, the selection as wide as possible for British Columbia, and the prices are reasonable. Toshi Sushi's owners and staff are Japanese and it shows in the the way the portions are cut and presented.

The restaurant has a cafe style atmosphere. You can sit at the sushi bar and watch the chef's in action. Or you can sit a table. It is a little crowded, but you still do not feel like you are sharing space with strangers. My wife and I do not mind going here for special dinners. It is romantic in a way of its own, with the look and textures of the food more than making up for the brighter lights and busy atmosphere.

• Visited July 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Tiny family run sushi joint. Prepare to wait.”
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

The lineups don't lie. This is a great place. My main recommendation is to move away from the traditional maki and nigiri order and try: the eggplant, spicy beef, tofu etc
We had a totally different experience from the table next to us who could only compare their maki/nigiri to other places. In the end it's just fresh fish and rice - pretty hard to be too black and white.
They really shine with their more unusual items.

• Visited August 2013