“Very good”

Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Hornby
“Very good”
Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

Lovely high ceilings. Professional service. Huge daiquiris!! A great place to have a meal with a close friend. Salmon was Delicious. A tad expensive but you can tell they use the freshest ingredients.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank ToughGuyTuesday

Portland, OR
“I usually don't eat at hotel restaurants...”
Reviewed 14 June 2013

My girlfriend and I arrived late at the Fairmont and were hungry, so we ate at Griffins. Typically, I avoid eating in the hotel but I am glad we did! We both started with the beet salad and were presented with a lovely row of young beets lined up on a walnut granola wafer. The dressing was tangy and added a brightness to the dish. We both had fish: salmon and halibut and both dishes were balanced, served with well prepared veggies and sauces. This place is a repeater the next time I am in Vancouver.

Visited June 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Disappointing food, lovely location”
Reviewed 24 May 2013

We had a celebration meal here with a party of 6.
3 of us returned home together and discussed the meal and all were disappointed with the main course, prime rib of beef for two of us and braised shin of lamb for the other. We all ate the food because we were being treated to it and it was a happy occasion but we didn't enjoy it. 2 of us had soup - tomato basil and the chowder, and that was good. And we tasted the creme brulee which someone else ordered and it was excellent. But for the very high prices the meal was not acceptable, in general. I believe the restaurant is trading on being in such a well known hotel and at such a great location. The room is lovely so it may be worth a visit just to have a small lunch or something.

• Visited May 2013
Vancouver
“Not what it used to be.”
Reviewed 24 May 2013

The ambiance is typical of a 4 or 5 star hotel coffee shop but for a long time Griffins had a reputation for good food at very reasonable prices for the high quality. They were regarded as being high on the value for money scale and were always busy.

Today it appears to be in decline. Although the strong union presence has always been unfortunately obvious in some staff attitudes it should be noted that some of the staff are not typical union dead weight and really do a good job. It's a pity others seem so disengaged from providing good service.

There are two other major problems which have finally convinced me to eat elsewhere. In recent times the food quality has declined and the prices have escalated dramatically. You are now expected to pay fine dining prices for a very average coffee shop experience.

They also have huge markups on the wine, even the plonk!

I feel badly for the few really good staff who appear to have fallen victim to questionable management decisions. I watched in dismay as their fine dining restaurant (900 West) gradually fell into decline and finally expired. Hopefully they will reverse course at Griffins and bring back the value and quality before it's too late.

I watch with interest.

Visited May 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Classy downtown restaurant”
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I visited this restaurant a couple of times a year when I worked downtown. The food is excellent, the service good and the restaurant is tastefully decorated. The prices are a little higher than a lot of the surrounding restaurants but it is perfect for a special lunch or dinner. Great central location.