“Over hyped”
Review of Sushi By Yuji

Sushi By Yuji
Ranked #1,238 of 4,040 Restaurants in Vancouver
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

First off, I'm not a sushi lover like most of Vancouver.
I came in expecting better tasting food, and was disappointed.
This is a small, very sparsely decorated place but if you make reservations and get here at 6pm on a Tuesday, you'll have ordered, eaten and paid the bill within an hour. There were only two other tables when we were there.
Service is fine, no complaints. Our water glasses were refilled regularly and the servers were nice and smiled.
I tried the salmon carpaccio, house/shiro roll, tobiko with egg gunkan, ikura with egg gunkan, wild salmon nigiri, hamachi nigiri and salmon toro nigiri. I had eaten a lot earlier in the day so this was enough to fill me up. If I had come hungry, I probably would have left hungry, or ordered more. All of this plus a couple other things came to under $50.
I was not blown away by any of the food I ate. Yes the fish tasted fresh and clean etc but it was not that flavorful and I just didn't love it. I would have liked more sauce or seasoning - there was no sauce on anything but I understand you are meant to taste the fish. I also think maybe if I was hungrier the food would taste better. I liked the ikura with egg the best, (creamy egg flavor, burst of ikura) but everything else was meh.

Reviewed 15 January 2018 via mobile

Sushi by Yuji is the place where we get our sushi!! Always fresh ingredients! They have uni now, so make sure you get your uni cones (discount price on the weekend)! They also started a sake flight at a price of $18 for 3! very economical. highly highly recommend this place!

Reviewed 25 October 2017

This is a very tiny authentic place with mouth-melting various sushi. All other customers were local Japanese! The place is in the middle 'nowhere'. We tumbled there by just walking by...while doing an other errand in the neighborhood, and they happened to have a free table, since it was still early for dinner. All other tables were reserved. When we left, there was a line-up on the door. We were 2 adults and a 2-yr. old and we ordered various assortments. The tuna and salmon were so good that we ended up ordering more, and even the 2-yr old was enjoying her sushi in kids' chair. Wait stuff (owners) were very friendly.

Reviewed 16 October 2016 via mobile

This place may be a bit out of the way, but it's well worth it. Fish is fresh & melts in your mouth, prices are too good to be real, and the staff is incredibly friendly and attentive. Decor is sparse, and the space is small so keep in mind that this is for real sushi lovers, not a fancy date night. Great variety of fish/seafood too!

Reviewed 13 October 2016 via mobile

Sushi by Yuji is a great quality sushi restaurant! The sashimi is fresh and melts in your mouth, with a wide variety of fish. The house roll and yuji roll are both delicious and worth trying. Alaskan roll with cream cheese is another tasty roll we enjoyed. But the most unique item was Tobiko (flying fish roe) & Negitoro (tuna) with quail egg! The combination of flavours where delicious and unique, I would definitely be back for more. The restaurant is small, so a reservation is recommended, especially with larger groups. Decor is practically non existent, but that's not why people come. The quality is undeniable so to me it didn't matter. Sushi by Yuji is now in my top 5 go to sushi establishments!