“Very good food and excellent service”

Jules Casual French Bistro
Ranked #159 of 3,847 Restaurants in Vancouver
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Gastown
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

I Visited this place together with my wife on strong recommendation of local businessman. We both had French on onion soup followed by tenderloin for me and ossobuco for my wife with Bordeaux Pinot noir and creme brûlée for desert. Everything was very tasty. Both waiters were quick , smart and with good sense of humor. The bill was just above 100 Can. Dollars.
We loved the place and strongly recommend .

There are newer reviews for Jules Casual French Bistro

Reviewed 24 October 2013

3 of us had different mains (tenderloin, duck confit and night's special duck breast), all loved them. Sauces are rich, as classic French is. Appies were very good, no disappointments. Sensible portion size so one of us had room for dessert- very good cherry clafoutis. Surprisingly large and well chosen wine list. It's a wam intimate space with great ambience and friendly service. Definitely worth a visit and its relatively close to entertainment and sports venues.

Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Jules is the classic French bistro with a wonderful ambience. Wait staff was wonderful. They have a set menu for $29.00 which is either salad or soup ( both were wonderful) , mains of Ribeye, Salmon or Mussels, and dessert ( which is a chocolate terrains, but you can upgrade for an additional $2.50 which is very fair) . We had a wide array including the salmon carpaccio (perfect!) and halibut salad ( Japanese overtones - yummy!) plus a few people had the set menu. We were not impressed with mains from the set menu and the ribeye ordered ala carte was a nicer cut of beef. The salmon was not what one expects in Vancouver. The desserts were all very good and very generous - try the clafoutis . We really enjoyed the evening and will return.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We'd just finished processing our passport renewals on a rainy Friday, and happened on this restaurant wandering through Gastown, looking for a place to grab a bite. My husband remembered a friend had very highly recommended Jules, so we popped in (first people there - they had just opened). Our server was gracious and informative, and (we think it was the) owner stopped by our table several times to chat about their refurbished interior in one of Vancouver's few remaining heritage buildings. The menu was limited, but the selections all sounded very appealing. My husband chose the mussels and frites (we'd spent a few weeks in France last year and so enjoyed that combination) and I opted for the ribeye steak - both very reasonably priced @ $19 and $23, respectively. We were started with an absolutely outstanding baguette (we got the name of the bakery before leaving and picked up a baguette that day for dinner). Both our meals were marvelous - the mussels were some of the best we've ever eaten, and my steak was buttery perfection. The frites were accompanied by a delicious aioli - we finished every last bite of the very generous portion! We hope to return very soon!

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I used to be a loyal customer, but the food has become overly salty to the point that it is not enjoyable anymore. Apparently the owner is a smoker and thus can't taste things unless they are excessively salty. So, since my first choice for dinner came with a pre-made sauce that could not be adjusted for saltiness, I tried to switch out some of the sides so I could at least have some of what I had wanted. They were absolutely unwilling to discuss (unless I wanted to pay a great deal more!) and received a tongue lashing to boot! I can see from other reviews that I am not the first.

2  Thank crazycanadianaunt