“Good Malaysian-Thai Food!”

Neighbourhood: Robson Street
Kailua, Hawaii
“Good Malaysian-Thai Food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

My husband, two teenagers, and I ate at Tropika restaurant on our fourth night in Vancouver. We ordered Akar (talapia), Hainain roast chicken, sauteed spinach, broccoli and tofu, chicken satay, chicken and tofu pad thai, and ginger rice. At first, we thought we order too much food, but we were pretty hungry and everything was pretty tasty that our leftovers were few. I wouldn't say it's the best Manalysian-Thai food I've ever had, but it was good, decently priced, and conveniently located within walking distance of our hotel. That's why I gave it a very good rating.

• Visited July 2013

• Korean first
Coquitlam, Canada
“Great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

If you like spicy food, this is the place. Malaysian and Thai food at reasonable prices. Great service and central location.

• Visited May 2013
Fort McMurray, Canada
“seriously!?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

We love Asian food & were keen to try this. What a disappointment! We ordered 3 dishes - Thai spinach, rendang lembu ( beef ) & spicy squid dish.
We virtually tasted and left all 3 dishes almost uneaten. The waiter did not bother to check if there was a problem and even after we declined his offer
of bagging the remains, he still didn't get it ( or rather wasn't interested). The squid was tough and really chewy and inedible; the beef stew was bland ( yes bland !) and visually really unappealing... grey with no effort to liven it up. The spinach were gritty and slimy and honestly the only reasonable dish was the side order of rice! It was really an unpleasant culinary experience ,one which we will never want to relive!!!

• Visited March 2013
Walnut Creek, California
“Decent Malaysian Fare, but not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2012

Vancouver and Canada in general are starved for quality Malaysian/Singaporean/Indonesian cuisine. Tropika is a mediocre effort.

I have been twice and left disappointed both times. I have lived in Singapore and know good food, but the people I went with have never been, and they loved the food, so keep that in mind, if you are reading this.

The Chili Crab has not been marinated long enough, the crab has not been cooked long enough, and the sauce lacks flavour. Also, traditionally, the chili crab in Singapore and KL is served with a bun-type of thing, which was not provided.

The Nasi Lemak is their own version and it is strictly passable. The prawns had way too much salt, and everything else was strictly ordinary.

I'll go back if other people make me, but it will never be on my own accord.

• Visited October 2012
Vancouver, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Doesn't accept Debit... Are you serious?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2012

Heard some rave reviews about Tropika here and there so decided to dine here tonight with a friend. We went here on a whim because we were borderline starving so I did carry some expectations. The restaurant is upstairs and I didn't mind having to walk up the steps up but I was somewhat concerned for those who have mobility issues; how are they going to get up? (Didn't see any elevators - correct me if my assumptions are incorrect.) The atmosphere of the dining area was nice, though - decor looked wonderful! We were seated immediately as the place didn't seem to be very busy and we were given menus. The prices for the food was priced pretty well in my opinion, but some of the appetizers could be a bit cheaper judging by the size of them (ex. skewers were about $1.50 each and were pretty small; almost bite-sized). I had one of the combo dinners and that was pretty satisfying, though the sweet and sour pork did seem more on the chewier side. Also, their washrooms is only 2 rooms designed for one-person-at-a-time, one for male and one for female, which was really inconvenient. Servers were really reluctant and came to our tables without us needing to request much and they refilled our water consistently (we drank quite a bit as we unknowingly ordered a spicy dish). Later when we ordered dessert for 2, the server told us that one of it was 'on the house' because we voiced our concern about the spicy dish, and I thought that was a plus. Everything was actually going well regardless of my previous 'concerns' until the bill came. I don't carry much cash so when I requested to pay by debit, the server told me, to my surprise, that their POS machines only accept credit cards. I thought this was absolutely absurd because I have never heard of terminals not taking debit cards. Unfortunately for us, I had to leave my friend at the restaurant while I ran out (in the rain sans umbrella) to the London Drugs across the street to access an ATM. The entire scenario was awkward, embarrassing, and an absolute hassle. I don't know if I want to return...

• Visited October 2012