“Wonderful hosts, amazing breakfasts!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Victoria
Gingerbread Cottage Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #21 of 92 Victoria B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We stayed at the Gingerbread Cottage for 3 nights in the Lavender room (with private deck) in early May. We had a fantastic stay! Both Vanessa an Dean were very hospitable hosts... Vanessa's breakfasts were amazing to say the least. My partner is celiac and she went to the trouble to bake him his own fresh gluten free scones every morning. He said they were delicious... and in fact she made so many of them that he coudln't finish them all at breakfast so she gave us a little bag to take them with us to snack on the rest of the day! She also let me take a piece of her wonderful strudel and her rhubarb pie up to my room so I could eat it later because I was just so full from the tremendous breakfasts!

Other reviewers had said they didn't need lunch after her breakfasts and I thought it was an exageration, but it really is true!

The room was very nice and I am very glad we got the room with the deck. We had beautiful sunshine and it was nice just to sit out there after a long day of walking just to kick back and relax.

The *only* negative part of the experience was that there would be no way to sleep in even if we had wanted to. One of the cockatoos is very, very loud in the morning and becomes your 8:15 am alarm clock if you want her to or not! Good thing we were getting up anyway to enjoy the amazing breakfasts!

We will stay again if we go back to Victoria. Location was good for a walk into town provided the weather is decent and you have time to kill.

Room Tip: If you can, splurge for the deck... it was well worth it!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MlovesG

Reviewed 15 March 2012

We stayed two nights at the Gingerbread ottage. The location was great, walking distance to everything in Victoria. A very attractive room with a private outdoor patio.

The breakfast was outstanding. The onwer is a gourmet chef. I had a smoked salmon omelet, homemade bread and strudels and fresh fruit for dessert. I was so full I skipped lunch, even though we spent the day walking around Victoria.

I would definitely stay again. It was worth it.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank djulius
Reviewed 7 January 2012

My wife and I were at Gingerbread Cottage in Dec. 2011 to visit family in Victoria.. We enjoyed the best breakfast we have ever had in a B and B. Location was great for walks on the cliffs above the beaches. The collection of antiques were a little overwhelming for me. A few less would work better for me.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Simon B
Reviewed 27 October 2011

We stayed at the Gingerbread Cottage in August 2011 and enjoyed the experience so much that we returned again late October 2011 simply to have a repeat! After looking at the numerous glowing reviews, we would endorse virtually all the positive comments. Worth also noting that most of the amazing breakfast foods are not only freshly prepared/baked, but also contain organic and/or locally sourced foods.
We have certainly found Vanessa & Dean hospitable hosts and have no hesitation in recommending their B & B to those people looking for a Victorian style ambience and, we daresay, virtually unique with the abundance of period type decor items. The two parrots and 'well built' friendly resident cat 'Butler' are also a nice touch.
Neil & Muriel

Room Tip: For later in the year, a room at the rear of the cottage, with attached sun decks, provides ample su...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank roamingkiwi70
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We had a wonderful stay at the Gingerbread cottage B&B. Our room was very quaint, comfortable and fun. There is a little museum's worth of collectibles, antiques, heritage and culture found in all the little nooks and cubbies, walls and tables of the house.

The breakfast was fabulous, and highly recommended.

Vanessa waqs very helpful in suggesting things to do and see on our short stay. We enjoyed walking to the sea wall, and following the path to the docks and harbor area of Victoria. The sights and sounds of Victoria are beautiful. We also enjoyed our tour of Butchart Gardens. The flowers in full bloom were amazing. What a beautiful treasure in B.C.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2011

My fiance and I had planned to take my father to Victoria for his 65th birthday /retirement at the beginning of September. We booked well in advance and were looking forward to staying here. Unfortunately, a close family member of ours is terminally ill and we decided to postpone our trip.

I phoned Vanessa 16 days prior to our stay to inform her of the cancellation and was utterly appalled by her reaction. She had the audacity to say, "This is unbelievable! Do you know how many other people have been calling to book during that week?!" She then slammed the phone down but didn't actually hang up, so thinking she had intended to put me on hold, I stayed on the line and listened to her complain about me for a few minutes until I finally disconnected.

The reviews left by others made Vanessa seem like a gracious host, but I suppose it takes a situation like this to see one's true personality. My intention was to rebook at the Gingerbread Cottage when we rescheduled our trip, but I will certainly be staying elsewhere. And I caution any one whose life has the possibility of unforeseen circumstances from booking here as well.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank juliabee222
bistrita6, Owner at Gingerbread Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2011

Quote from the above review:
"Stayed August 2011, traveled with family"

This reviewer said that she stayed here with her family in August.
She never stayed here.

She seems very frustrated and we empathize with her, even said a prayer for her.
As for her 5 month long hold on her two rooms with a total of 12 nights and a cancellation one day before cancellation period runs out ...... we accepted it gracefully, with no charge.

Reviewed 23 August 2011

Found this place through TripAdvisor and after checking out Gingerbread Cottage's website and seeing pictures of the amazing breakfast, decided to book here.

We took the Helijet from Vancouver in the morning and the Cottage was very easy to find, being a 10-15 minute walk from the landing point in James Bay. Very conveniently located (although everything in Victoria is relatively close by!), and about a 15 minute leisurely walk into the main 'downtown' of Victoria where Parliament building and the marina are.

Although we arrived much earlier than the 3pm check-in, at 8:30am we were still greeted and welcomed to leave our bags until the room was ready. We were spending the full day out anyways so this was not a problem, and Vanessa had let us know ahead of time that our room was occupied the night before and they have a 11am check-out, so no problem! We could smell the delicious breakfast cooking for that morning and couldn't wait until ours the next day.

The Cottage has two entrances on either side of the house with two stairways, allowing for some privacy when you come and go from your room. We stayed in the Klimt room which of course featured many pieces of artwork of Klimt and also had a nice deck with lots of flowers to enjoy. The owners have a cat (beware if you have allergies!) and two cuckatoos who are very friendly and like to be pet.

When we arrived back at the Cottage at 9pm after seeing Parliament lit up, our bags were in our room and the lights on to welcome us in. The room is a nice size with a Queen sized bed, desk, two chairs, kettle and tea to enjoy as well as private bathroom with soaps, shampoos, etc. There is also a small fridge in case you need to refrigerate anything. One minor thing is the floor creaks, but that didn't really affect our stay.

Breakfast the next morning was delicious. They provide a buffet of granola, watermelon (cut in heart shapes), pineapple, fresh blueberry scones (they were still warm!), apple strudel, rhubarb cake, fresh whipped cream, rhubarb juice and orange juice! You also get your choice of tea or coffee brought to your table. The table is so cute and all set up with beautiful silverware and doilies and homemade jams and jellies. Also as part of the breakfast you get to choose a main item... our choice was between Omelette with steak mushrooms, Omelette with 3 cheeses and ham, Omelette with Garden Vegetables or Blueberry Crepes. I would definitely recommend the Omelette with Garden Vegetables or with the steak mushrooms. They are delicious and after all the sweets on the buffet table it was nice to have savoury options!

All in all a great stay, and we even left with buying a few of their homemade quince jellies!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple