“Wonderful hosts, great location, great value, amazing breakfast!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gingerbread Cottage Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Victoria
Gingerbread Cottage Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #27 of 94 Victoria B&B and Inns
San Jose, Ca., U.S.A.
“Wonderful hosts, great location, great value, amazing breakfast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in the Mozart room in early June. Vanessa & Dean are wonderful people. They are very warm & welcoming, and they make you feel right at home. We were supposed to be staying at another B&B, but there was an over-booking issue.Vanessa was very kind to take us in, and on top of that, she honored the lower rate that we were quoted at the other B&B...which I thought was amazing. We were so happy that we stayed at The Gingerbread Cottage, rather than our original choice!
The house is a lovely old building filled with antiques, and collectibles. If you are a pet lover, they have a very friendly cat named Butler, as well as 2 cockatoos. The location of the B&B is great. It is in a nice, safe neighborhood. We did not have a car, and could walk everywhere easily. A 10 minute walk and you are at the harbor where the ferries come in; the government buildings; the wonderful B.C. Museum; the Empress Hotel; many restaurants, etc.
If you want to go to the fabulous Butchart Gardens on your own, without a tour company, there is a bus stop within a few blocks, that will get you there with 1 transfer, and you will save $25-35 per person.
I saved the best for last......Vanessa's cooking! She was formerly a chef, and has written numerous cookbooks. The breakfast each day was probably the best I have ever had. I would highly recommend that you tell yourself that you are on vacation, and take a break from counting calories and just enjoy the wonderful food. Before you even get to the 4 daily choices of a hot, cooked to order breakfast, you will be faced with a beautiful array of fresh fruits; juices; home made muselix; great breads; homemade jams; and amazing strudel. You could very easily skip the hot breakfast offerings, but don't make that mistake! Each of the 3 days, I tried a different hot breakfast, and they were all delicious.
If we ever get back to Victoria, we will only stay at The Gingerbread Cottage!
Thank you Vanessa & Dean for an absolutely wonderful stay in your charming home.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank greenthumb2000

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Liverpool, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

We stayed at Gingerbread Cottage for three nights in September – in the lavender room. The room is on the first floor and has a bedroom, with antique furniture and ornaments, a bathroom with a shower and “Victoria” toilet – over 100 years old- as is the house. The room also has a private “deck area” which is the roof area of the dining room- there are chairs to relax on in the shade after a hard days sightseeing. The room has a TV and selection of videos, there is also a downstairs lounge, On the landing is a “honesty fridge” where you can buy water and drinks. On street parking is easy and it’s a ten minute walk down the road to the waterfront.

Vanessa and Dean are genuine caring owners who are concerned that your stay is as comfortable as possible. They are aided by an army of extras- one of the feline variety- the gorgeous “Butler” and two parrots, one of whom, Casper says hello to you at Breakfast with Dean!

Breakfast is served from 8-9 in a room that has the hallmarks of Vanessa’s Austrian heritage. Vanessa is an excellent cook and from her kitchen produces a selection of cold foods- home baked scones, apple strudel- the most amazing muesli, rolls, cheese and then Dean takes your orders for the hot choices- eggs Benedict, omelettes and sweet crepes where on the menu when we stayed- all absolutely delicious. Vanessa makes a vast range of jams available to eat at Breakfast and to purchase to take home. Let’s just say that we didn’t need lunch!

Fed up of chain hotels? Then try this. The house has character, a chance to chat to other guests at breakfast and hosts who are informative and welcoming. Vanessa even sent us off with some home baked goods on our travels.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank merseydave
Whistler, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

I stayed at the Gingerbread Cottage for two nights and had a lovely visit. Vanessa and Dean are two very interesting and kind people with some very interesting family members. Butler the cat is sweet as are the two cockatoos. I learned a great deal about the plight of these wonderful birds as they were both rescue birds taken in by Vanessa and Dean. It takes very special people with huge hearts to take on such a commitment. Their home is very clean and full of interesting things that make the house very special and unique. The breakfast was amazing! My room was comfortable and the location gives you quick and easy access to the center of town. I was in Victoria for the Tour de Victoria and Vanessa even allowed me to bring my bike into the house so that I could give it a last minute check prior to the race. I highly recommend the Gingerbread Cottage and will certainly stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank milobc
Abbotsford, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

We stayed for one night while visiting friends in Victoria and we will be back!
Vanessa and husband were awesome. They were so helpful and friendly and
thought of everything. We stayed in the Klimt room with a private outdoor deck.
There were special lotions, coffee, teas, movies, such a comfy bed, lots of great
art and of course the breakfast! Really this was a first class meal. I think this is the best breakfast I have ever had. I really did not want to leave the breakfast table! Her baked goods
are straight out of a magazine and world class. Her options for breakfast main course
were great! We loved the birds, the hosts, the home and the meal. The location is awesome as well. You are just a couple of blocks from downtown and all the action yet this is a very quiet neighborhood.

Room Tip: no pool or fitness center - just not needed!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lori14181725
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

We stayed at the Gingerbread Cottage for 3 nights in the Lavender room (with private deck) in early May. We had a fantastic stay! Both Vanessa an Dean were very hospitable hosts... Vanessa's breakfasts were amazing to say the least. My partner is celiac and she went to the trouble to bake him his own fresh gluten free scones every morning. He said they were delicious... and in fact she made so many of them that he coudln't finish them all at breakfast so she gave us a little bag to take them with us to snack on the rest of the day! She also let me take a piece of her wonderful strudel and her rhubarb pie up to my room so I could eat it later because I was just so full from the tremendous breakfasts!

Other reviewers had said they didn't need lunch after her breakfasts and I thought it was an exageration, but it really is true!

The room was very nice and I am very glad we got the room with the deck. We had beautiful sunshine and it was nice just to sit out there after a long day of walking just to kick back and relax.

The *only* negative part of the experience was that there would be no way to sleep in even if we had wanted to. One of the cockatoos is very, very loud in the morning and becomes your 8:15 am alarm clock if you want her to or not! Good thing we were getting up anyway to enjoy the amazing breakfasts!

We will stay again if we go back to Victoria. Location was good for a walk into town provided the weather is decent and you have time to kill.

Room Tip: If you can, splurge for the deck... it was well worth it!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MlovesG
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

We stayed two nights at the Gingerbread ottage. The location was great, walking distance to everything in Victoria. A very attractive room with a private outdoor patio.

The breakfast was outstanding. The onwer is a gourmet chef. I had a smoked salmon omelet, homemade bread and strudels and fresh fruit for dessert. I was so full I skipped lunch, even though we spent the day walking around Victoria.

I would definitely stay again. It was worth it.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank djulius
Fort Langley, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

My wife and I were at Gingerbread Cottage in Dec. 2011 to visit family in Victoria.. We enjoyed the best breakfast we have ever had in a B and B. Location was great for walks on the cliffs above the beaches. The collection of antiques were a little overwhelming for me. A few less would work better for me.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family