“Always a nice stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Victoria
Gingerbread Cottage Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #27 of 93 Victoria B&B and Inns
Canada
“Always a nice stay”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I felt compelled to write a review after reading the "double booked" one. We have stayed at The Gingerbread Cottage a few times and have always enjoyed our stay. We are a family of five and Vanessa made sure we all had our own rooms, we felt very comfortable, and well fed. Walking distance to downtown and the ocean.
Unfortunately errors happen, but it seems you were well taken care of in terms of Vanessa finding you another B & B.

Please note, although the date says April 2013, that is not when we stayed.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed 6 March 2014

The owners Vanessa and Dean bend over backwards to please their clientele.
The breakfasts Vanessa serves are three course, homemade strudel, buns, bread.....fresh made every morning. Yogurt, cheeses, fruits, I could go on and on.
Then comes the hot breakfast. I have stayed in many B&B's and have NEVER experienced such delicious gourmet food.....seafood omelettes, crepes, fresh bacon or sausages, just to name a few, all purchased organic from local farmers. Vanessa is an Austrian chef!
Vanessa and Dean cook and serve from the heart and soul.
They are the most sincere people I have ever met. This is the only B&B we consistently return to.
The accommodations are great.....antiques, interesting knick knacks. Jewellery, jams and cookbooks for sale. Bedding is fresh, down duvets, comfortable beds.
Love it and love Vanessa and Dean Did I mention it is a 15 minute walk to downtown!

Room Tip: I love the Gustav Klimt room.....it has an outdoor patio!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I had booked two rooms in March/13 for July/13 but when we got there discovered that Vanessa had the rooms already occupied. She was very apologetic and refunded my payment in cash and called another B&B in the area and luckily, we were able to go there for 2 nights. I had read great reviews about the Gingerbread B&B, especially about the food. After looking around the front room and check in desk, I wasn't too upset to be going somewhere else. The rooms could stand to have a good cleaning and there was a lot of cat hair around (I do like cats, but not crazy about all the hair). Things probably worked out the best for us, by not staying there.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank heat53
capitolcity, Owner at Gingerbread Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you for your review.
I remember the incident well, as during the 20 years of having the Gingerbread Cottage B&B we only had two double bookings, which is almost un-heard of in the Hospitality business (I know, as I am in the Hospitality Industry for almost 40 years).
You were very gracious about the situation. I refunded you in cash money immediately.
I also apologized profoundly many times to you, which you accepted, telling me that these things can happen. Nobody is perfect!

I remember feeling terrible about my mistake, but also very concerned and doubtful to find a suitable place on such short notice in July, as all places are usually booked up.
After making quite a few calls to different B&B’s, I was surprised to have the good fortune to find two rooms at a close-by B&B, and after negotiating with them for the same rate as we had quoted you, booking the rooms for you.
Therefore I am stunned, surprised, and very curious, what would prompt you to write a negative review 3 months after the incident, when you did not even stay here at the Gingerbread Cottage?
My apologies again, that this caused you so much grief and upset.
Interestingly we do have only one other negative review, which is also, like yours, from people who never stayed here......................

I thought, we had it all resolved, we parted in an amicable manner. I wished you a pleasant stay in Victoria, apologizing profoundly again on your way out.......... and you thanked me for finding suitable accommodation for you three blocks away from us!
I really don’t know what I could have done better, more or differently under the circumstances, how much more I could have apologized?
The reason for your negative review never came up at the time, so this surprises me even more!
We do appreciate all our guests and I can assure you that when there is a complaint, which there hardly ever is, we do try to rectify the issue immediately, as this business is very personal and dear to us.

About your negative review, which had nothing to do with the initial incident:
Our darling cat "Butler” is totally white-haired, which does not go well with our dark Persian rugs. You see every single little white hair, which you would not see if he was a dark cat.
Butler is loved by our guests (especially the many regular repeat guests we are lucky to have),
not only because he is beautiful, but because he is very friendly, throws himself on his back on the dark Persian rug in the Lobby to greet new guests, waiting to be petted.
He lives in the Lobby and in the living room, where he guards the fire place………..again on a dark Persian rug.

We had a chat with Butler at one time, suggesting to him to have his hair tinted black, but he turned away and would not talk to us for a few days. 
For your information, "Butler" never goes into the rooms, not only because he is not allowed there, but because he is simply too lazy to walk up the stairs. :)
On our daily routine, our guest rooms are cleaned first, the Lobby is vacuumed later in the afternoon.
When you arrived, our daily routine obviously was not completed yet.

Butler is terribly sorry and ashamed, at the same time proud of his beautiful coat. He sends his profound apologies!
However, in his defense, he did mention, that there was not one mouse in the house in the twelve years he is in charge as the Alpha-Tom-Cat of the Gingerbread Cottage. 
Most downtown B&B’s in old Heritage houses have cats in residence for that very reason.
We didn’t tell Butler, but the next cat we will adopt, will be a black one! :)

Best wishes to you from all of us at the Gingerbread Cottage B&B!
NYC
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

Gingerbread house is definitely a great description for Vanessa's well-run B&B. Rooms are well-sized, furnished in theme, and tidy. It is all topped though by a very warm and personal welcome, and a veritably huge breakfast, with delicious and authentic Austrian and German treats. Having to miss breakfast the second day, we were packed with a generous and tasty lunch package - thanks again for that!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Courtenay, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My son and I were down to Victoria for the Deuce Days Car Show in his 1931 Ford five window coupe hot rod. The B & B was the perfect location for us to stay. Even though we had to leave early each morning for the Poker Rod Run on Saturday, and the main car show on Sunday, Vanessa made a thermos of coffee and a wonderful picnic basket for us to take along. She even offered to move her own car out front so that the hot rod could be parked right out in front of our bedroom window so we could keep an eye on it. The B & B brought back memories of me visiting my great granny who lived in an old house on Pandora Avenue when I was a kid. I am 70 now. We found the beds to be super comfy . Over all we could not have asked for more. Thanks again Vanessa and Dean.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 5 July 2013

When you arrive at the cottage you will receive a warm welcome from Vanessa! We stayed in the lavender room with our 7 month old baby and it was great! There is a private garden/terrace off of the room which was lovely for sitting and having some tea or reading. Vanessa was extremely accommodating and offered the use of a play pen and a high chair to feed our little one in the breakfast room. the room was a little tight for space for the 3 of us but we made it work fine. Bed was very comfy! Very cozy room with lots of character. Reminded me of staying at my grandmas house! The rain Shower head was wonderful and the tub is cast iron and nice and deep. The Breakfast was out of this world. Literally the best breakfasts my husband and I have ever had. Everything is home made and gourmet style, the portions are massive and they will keep you full well past lunch. Breakfast starts with a little buffet- home made granola/muesli with organic yogurt, coconut, raisins and cranberries if you want. Then there was lots of fruit along with 4-5 different cheeses, home made bread, home made scones, raspberry gateau and amazing apple strudel, all home made that morning. That doesn't even include the hot entrees which you had the choice between about 5 different ones. My favourite was the raspberry crepes (raspberries picked from her garden) with whipped cream, orange sauce and chocolate shavings- to die for. I could go on about the breakfast for ages. You need to stay at the gingerbread cottage for the great service and the great food. We will stay here from now on when visiting Victoria

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Kristy T
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Located at Oswego Street, it's walking distance to majority tourist sites and close to the beach that you will feel the cool breeze most days. Interior of Gingerbread is of different themes and Vanessa, the owner is very friendly and they have a very lovely decorated kitchen.

Vanessa was always concern for our little bub & she enjoyed her bread.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family