“Fabulous stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Victoria
Gingerbread Cottage Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #22 of 92 Victoria B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

I came to stay at Vanessa's with my mother for the weekend. We showed up little early, as we had taken an earlier ferry. Vanessa was so wonderful in allowing us to check in early, had a cozy house, and gave us directions. Her breakfast was beyond fabulous and the best part of our trip. Very welcoming and comforting and I know I will be back and send more of my friends and family her way.

Stayed: June 2014

Reviewed 6 March 2014

I have stayed at the Gingerbread Cottage regularly since I discovered it online about 10 years ago. I have stayed by myself, with my husband and with my children. Vanessa and Dean have become friends and we would not dream of a trip to Vancouver Island without staying at the Cottage. The location is wonderful, within walking distance of both the Inner Harbour and the Breakwater. Every breakfast we have ever had has been stunning - to the point of my taking pictures of the meal and drooling over them for months. I dream about the Eggs Benedict, covered in Vanessa's heavenly hollandaise and sleeping in their comfy beds with the wonderfully soft bedding. Vanessa and Dean are the consummate host/hostess and no one I have ever referred to them has ever been disappointed. Looking forward to our next trip!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Inukshukgal
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I felt compelled to write a review after reading the "double booked" one. We have stayed at The Gingerbread Cottage a few times and have always enjoyed our stay. We are a family of five and Vanessa made sure we all had our own rooms, we felt very comfortable, and well fed. Walking distance to downtown and the ocean.
Unfortunately errors happen, but it seems you were well taken care of in terms of Vanessa finding you another B & B.

Please note, although the date says April 2013, that is not when we stayed.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 March 2014

The owners Vanessa and Dean bend over backwards to please their clientele.
The breakfasts Vanessa serves are three course, homemade strudel, buns, bread.....fresh made every morning. Yogurt, cheeses, fruits, I could go on and on.
Then comes the hot breakfast. I have stayed in many B&B's and have NEVER experienced such delicious gourmet food.....seafood omelettes, crepes, fresh bacon or sausages, just to name a few, all purchased organic from local farmers. Vanessa is an Austrian chef!
Vanessa and Dean cook and serve from the heart and soul.
They are the most sincere people I have ever met. This is the only B&B we consistently return to.
The accommodations are great.....antiques, interesting knick knacks. Jewellery, jams and cookbooks for sale. Bedding is fresh, down duvets, comfortable beds.
Love it and love Vanessa and Dean Did I mention it is a 15 minute walk to downtown!

Room Tip: I love the Gustav Klimt room.....it has an outdoor patio!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I had booked two rooms in March/13 for July/13 but when we got there discovered that Vanessa had the rooms already occupied. She was very apologetic and refunded my payment in cash and called another B&B in the area and luckily, we were able to go there for 2 nights. I had read great reviews about the Gingerbread B&B, especially about the food. After looking around the front room and check in desk, I wasn't too upset to be going somewhere else. The rooms could stand to have a good cleaning and there was a lot of cat hair around (I do like cats, but not crazy about all the hair). Things probably worked out the best for us, by not staying there.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank heat53
capitolcity, Owner at Gingerbread Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Thank you for your review.
I remember the incident well, as during the 20 years of having the Gingerbread Cottage B&B we only had two double bookings, which is almost un-heard of in the Hospitality business (I know, as I am in the Hospitality Industry for almost 40 years).
You were very gracious about the situation. I refunded you in cash money immediately.
I also apologized profoundly many times to you, which you accepted, telling me that these things can happen. Nobody is perfect!

I remember feeling terrible about my mistake, but also very concerned and doubtful to find a suitable place on such short notice in July, as all places are usually booked up.
After making quite a few calls to different B&B’s, I was surprised to have the good fortune to find two rooms at a close-by B&B, and after negotiating with them for the same rate as we had quoted you, booking the rooms for you.
Therefore I am stunned, surprised, and very curious, what would prompt you to write a negative review 3 months after the incident, when you did not even stay here at the Gingerbread Cottage?
My apologies again, that this caused you so much grief and upset.
Interestingly we do have only one other negative review, which is also, like yours, from people who never stayed here......................

I thought, we had it all resolved, we parted in an amicable manner. I wished you a pleasant stay in Victoria, apologizing profoundly again on your way out.......... and you thanked me for finding suitable accommodation for you three blocks away from us!
I really don’t know what I could have done better, more or differently under the circumstances, how much more I could have apologized?
The reason for your negative review never came up at the time, so this surprises me even more!
We do appreciate all our guests and I can assure you that when there is a complaint, which there hardly ever is, we do try to rectify the issue immediately, as this business is very personal and dear to us.

About your negative review, which had nothing to do with the initial incident:
Our darling cat "Butler” is totally white-haired, which does not go well with our dark Persian rugs. You see every single little white hair, which you would not see if he was a dark cat.
Butler is loved by our guests (especially the many regular repeat guests we are lucky to have),
not only because he is beautiful, but because he is very friendly, throws himself on his back on the dark Persian rug in the Lobby to greet new guests, waiting to be petted.
He lives in the Lobby and in the living room, where he guards the fire place………..again on a dark Persian rug.

We had a chat with Butler at one time, suggesting to him to have his hair tinted black, but he turned away and would not talk to us for a few days. 
For your information, "Butler" never goes into the rooms, not only because he is not allowed there, but because he is simply too lazy to walk up the stairs. :)
On our daily routine, our guest rooms are cleaned first, the Lobby is vacuumed later in the afternoon.
When you arrived, our daily routine obviously was not completed yet.

Butler is terribly sorry and ashamed, at the same time proud of his beautiful coat. He sends his profound apologies!
However, in his defense, he did mention, that there was not one mouse in the house in the twelve years he is in charge as the Alpha-Tom-Cat of the Gingerbread Cottage. 
Most downtown B&B’s in old Heritage houses have cats in residence for that very reason.
We didn’t tell Butler, but the next cat we will adopt, will be a black one! :)

Best wishes to you from all of us at the Gingerbread Cottage B&B!

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Gingerbread house is definitely a great description for Vanessa's well-run B&B. Rooms are well-sized, furnished in theme, and tidy. It is all topped though by a very warm and personal welcome, and a veritably huge breakfast, with delicious and authentic Austrian and German treats. Having to miss breakfast the second day, we were packed with a generous and tasty lunch package - thanks again for that!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My son and I were down to Victoria for the Deuce Days Car Show in his 1931 Ford five window coupe hot rod. The B & B was the perfect location for us to stay. Even though we had to leave early each morning for the Poker Rod Run on Saturday, and the main car show on Sunday, Vanessa made a thermos of coffee and a wonderful picnic basket for us to take along. She even offered to move her own car out front so that the hot rod could be parked right out in front of our bedroom window so we could keep an eye on it. The B & B brought back memories of me visiting my great granny who lived in an old house on Pandora Avenue when I was a kid. I am 70 now. We found the beds to be super comfy . Over all we could not have asked for more. Thanks again Vanessa and Dean.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple