Oak Bay Beach Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Abigail's Hotel(Victoria)
  • Pool
Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites(Victoria)
  • Restaurant
Hotel Rialto(Victoria)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
Helm's Inn(Victoria)
1,442 results
All reviewssnug pubmineral poolkate's cafeocean viewhot tubs areboutique suitebeautiful hotelsteam roomheated floorsdowntown victoriaspa servicessoaker tubseparate showershort driveoutdoor poolresidential areavancouver island
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 January 2014

My wife and I stayed 1 amazing night in January and it was beyond our expectations as far as luxury and service and location. Ryan at the front desk was very welcoming with his big smile and dressed very smartly . The lobby is just beautiful and is warm and inviting. We went our 3rd floor room and when we walked in we were blown away at the size the décor as well as the stunning view. The bathroom was huge and the kitchen area was well laid out. The warmth of the fire place made us forget about the cold night outside. We did not use the pools but they looked divine as they were surrounded by ocean and rocky shores
We were toured my the sweetest host ever Thaylyn Parrish who was so exited to show us around the resort and we ended up at the David Foster wall of fame where there was much to see . She loves her Hotel and went to every effort to make sure we saw all the great amenities they offered. We ate at the Snug Bar and were treated to first class food at very reasonable prices. The deep fried dills were to die for and the meatloaf was the best I had ever had. But I am saving the best for last. THE BED!!! Oh my goodness was that thing comfortable. I did not want to get out of it. And the truth is we loved it so much we bought one.
All in all a Great night at a great Hotel with great service and great food. And Thaylyn you made our stay special. Thank you for being you. We appreciated everything you did.

Room Tip: Make sure you get an Ocean view and have some deep fried dills
2  Thank Danify
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We came over for the Downton Abbey Season IV screen launch and came away as SUPER fans of the hotel! So impressed with the chef's selections and presentations of delicious foods, the welcoming staff and the exceptionally lovely turn-down bed service, where the bathroom and towels were efficiently refreshed. We enjoyed Beef Wellington at the Downton party, it was served to perfection for 150 David Foster Theatre guests, (who can accomplish melt-in-your-mouth Beef W. served all at once to so many), and the afternoon after check-in, a meander to the Snug Pub, a great environment to watch t.v. sports while noshing on thin crust pizza and a Peroni ale! Monday lunch in the dining room started with an amuse-bouche presented by our knowledgeable and personable server, Matteo. What my husband liked the best was our Garden Room's proximity to the convenient underground parking garage, he loved the easy access of in-out. It's obviously a guy thing and for the ladies, it was great to stay warm and dry during January. Lovely modern and comfortable room furnishings too. We'll be back in the summer for sure, to enjoy the mineral pools, play a few rounds of golf and to sit on the Snug patio. Thank you, Oak Bay Beach Hotel, you are establishing a great reputation with the locals too (we hear from our Victoria cousins) and undoubtedly your restaurant and pub offerings are a huge draw.

Room Tip: The Garden Room level seemed perfect ~ great view, very accessible.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank BBGG16
Reviewed 14 January 2014

The stay was awesome and room where unique and good. Service was good. Food was average the servers don’t come for dinner tray which is very annoying. Way to the pole is confusing, on asking a young gentle man who introduced him self from front desk name on the plate was Hunter, told us he is busy right now can give direction. We were not expecting that in a five star hotel. Mineral polls are awesome. I would like to return with my family for vacation.

1  Thank James B
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Spent one night here, expecting all that a five star hotel has to offer. We found the staff friendly and welcoming. The room was nice enough, with a relatively hard, but comfortable bed. It was very quiet, which was nice. We we excited to try out the warm mineral pools which are open 24 hours a day, as there was a serious wind and rainstorm underway, and we thought it would be a great experience. We were surprised to discover that the access to the pool area was very poorly signed and not well lit. A long and wet walk down to the pools was rewarded only with a locked gate that did not respond to our hotel key. When we went back to the reception desk, the staff person was very apologetic and explained that the night access is a different direction. This is completely unsigned and equally poorly lit. So although we did have a lovely pool experience eventually it was a struggle. This is not what one expects from a five star hotel.

The next morning breakfast was also unsatisfying. The service was inattentive, although the restaurant was not busy and the food was only average.

So, bottom line? I would not discourage anyone from staying at this hotel, especially if you want to take advantage of the pools right at the oceans edge. However, don't expect a complete five star experience.

Room Tip: The higher floor view rooms do give a great view, but decide if that is really worth the extra cost. The other rooms are no different.
3  Thank traveller98735
OBBH_Team, Manager at Oak Bay Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

Dear Traveller 98725
Thank you for staying with us at the Oak Bay Beach Hotel. We very much appreciate your feedback and your kind comments about our service team.
We are saddened to hear that you experienced some frustration with accessing our seaside mineral pools. In an effort to maintain a safe, tranquil environment for our guests’ 24-hour pool access it is essential for us to control access past 10pm. This, and the hot pool directions, should have been clearly communicated to you upon your arrival and we sincerely apologize that they were not. We are also disheartened to hear that your breakfast experience was not Our Best. It is my hope that we can connect directly so we can learn more of this experience and take the steps necessary to ensure that our guests receive more welcoming and attentive service.
We very much appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention and hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with a much more memorable experience.
Best regards,
Michelle Le Sage
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed here 3 nights over New year's and for the most part we enjoyed our stay. I loved the location of the hotel, the outdoor mineral pools overlooking the ocean, and the view from the oceanfront rooms is amazing. The hotel is obviously updated while keeping with the old feel in the lobby and common main floor areas. Our room was decorated with modern furnishings and fixtures, it was clean and crisp. The beds were very firm and I didn't have a good sleep at all but just my preference. Not enough storage for cloths or suitcases in my opinion especially if you are staying a few nights or longer, the room felt cramped. We lived out of our suitcase for 4 days and I really hate that. I defiantly should have considered a bigger room but we already paid well over 300 a night for the one we had so not sure I would pay more in that particular hotel anyways.

Check in was fine and efficient nothing special. To much of a residence feel for me, no one offers to help with your luggage or give you direction when you drive up. On the up side parking was free and underground so you could access it from the elevator. Room service was excellent, the pub was cozy for a drink and the coffee shop was really busy with long waits and just ok coffee. Every time I ordered a cappuccino I would get 1/4 cup of coffee and 1/4 cup of foam for a 1/2 cup of something. The only meal we ate besides room service was the New Year's buffet which I thought was not worth the price. It was just somewhat ok and the service was good. Room service food was excellent though.

The outdoor mineral pools were lovely and really enjoyed relaxing in them while looking out into the ocean. They were open 24 hours which was great. The grounds and landscaping is outstanding even though nothing was in bloom the greenery and garden beds were impeccable. I loved the location of the hotel as you could go for a walk along the ocean or residential but not far from shops and dinning options.

I thought the location, updates and cleanliness, outdoor pools, and grounds were worth a 4 rating, but value, service and accommodations rated about a 3.5 for me.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family