“The Hot Tubs & the Bathtub....breathtaking!”

Oak Bay Beach Hotel
Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
British Columbia
“The Hot Tubs & the Bathtub....breathtaking!”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We just returned from staying in Room 295 yesterday. We stayed for 3 nights in a garden level two queen size bed room. Our group consisted of 2 adults and 2 teenage daughters.

The room we were in had a sliding glass door that led out to an outdoor bistro table with 4 chairs. You then crossed a little concrete stepping stone bridge to get across the pond and then took a walkway to either the spa or the mineral pools (hot tubs). There is a breathtaking view from the little lookout point above the spa itself. We couldn't see very much from our room because we were ground level so I was a bit disappointed in that since we had paid for an ocean view room. However, we did find that having direct access to the outdoors was nice so we were pleasantly surprised.

We noticed a pug dog exiting into the interior hallway on leash two doors away from us but didn't hear any noise. If you have pet allergies you may want to ask about their pet policies to ensure you don't have any problems, but we were fine and didn't find any evidence of previous pets in our room.

The spa is gorgeous. They serve you tea while you wait. I had an Registered Massage Therapy session (which I can claim on my extended health) which was INCREDIBLE! The RMT was extremely good. The RMT was located in another building about 6 steps from the main spa building so that was a bit weird but she was really good about staying by my side making sure I knew where to go. They do nails, facials etc there. My daughter had a regular massage session which she quite enjoyed as well. You have the option to charge to your room or pay there.

The bathroom was incredible! Let me repeat that - INCREDIBLE! I asked at the front desk if we were allowed to have tea light candles and they said it was fine. So I bought some at Pharmasave and relaxed with some wine and some music while enjoying the complimentary milk bath bubbles. We asked for more shampoo conditioner because we had 3 females. We never did get the extras but we went out and maybe they didn't want to come in while we weren't there? We asked for extra slippers because only 2 came with the room. We got those. We asked for 2 extra towels and got those too. There were double sinks, housecoats, lots of storage, and shutter doors that can be closed or left open between the deep soaker tub and the main part of the room. A separate toilet area with door so you don't have to wait for someone to be done in the bathroom before coming in. Gorgeous shower with sit down area inside. They supply a hair dryer and a make up mirror. The fan is always running on low so you never have steamed up mirrors. There is a plug beside the sink in the bathroom for hair straighteners.

The fireplace isn't really a fireplace but does have the option of allowing heat to radiate into the room, its actually got some ribbons that blow up imitating real flames. But unless you get up close you can't tell it isn't real. It's a nice touch in the room. The TV has complimentary movie channels. There is an indoor privacy/make up room indicator button by the door so you don't have to hang a card on the outside. They have a turn down service that came around 7:30 pm which was a bit early for us. To be honest, I don't really know what a turn down service is since I'm not a "high class" type of traveller but it was a chance for us to ask for additional slippers to go to the pools outside.

The trip to the spa/mineral pools is a bit of a learning experience. One side is the main entrance to the spa (open during the day), the other side entrance is for after hours. And yet another side entrance to go directly to the pools. Signage is a bit confusing. We were told we would need a special key to access the pools after 10pm but both times we went to the front desk to get the key after 10pm we were told they weren't locked and that we didn't need one. Maybe save yourself a trip and call down to find out. The change rooms are accessible to guests even when the spa is closed. So you can go down in your regular clothes, change in the change rooms, they have lockers (note that they don't lock unless you go during spa hours) and separate showers. The showers are supplied with towels (don't bring any from room), shampoo, conditioner, body wash and strong water pressure that make it easier than going outside in a wet bathing suit back to your rooms. You also have access (24 hours) to the gym, steam room and showers/change room. The spa itself has business hours so no 24 hour access to their tea, and services. If you are going into the pools and it is poor weather, be aware that there is no covered area to put a dry towel. We had it raining while we were there and tucked our towels and robes underneath tiny little tables by the pools. It would have been nice to have some kind of cubby holes or umbrellas to put our stuff under to keep them from the rain. The pools had only one other couple in them all 3 times we were there but we always went at night. Very quiet.

We went to both the Snug pub and Kate's Café. The pub was really loud because they had a singer there and it was super busy. But the drinks we had were good. Kate's Café was pretty basic but was still good. I had the corn/bean salad and a steak pie. The salad was incredible. In the morning I had oatmeal and a fruit bowl. Food was good, but not spectacular. We enjoyed going other places for that.

Internet in the room was strong and we had no problems accessing it. They gave us a password which was never required though. There is no lapdesk provided in the room and the tables are small round ones with chairs quite squished against them. Not really very comfortable for computer usage. But then again, you're on vacation so you probably don't care.

The chandelier in the centre of the room was beautiful as were the dimmer lights everywhere (toilet area, bathtub area, centre of the room). There was a sink, small fridge, kettle, coffee maker, and microwave included in our room and dishes/cutlery to use as well. The clock radio has an ipod dock on it (older style plug) which I stupidly didn't notice until the last day after charging my ipod on the counter overnights! I personally didn't like the bedding (it seemed noisy) and the bed was very firm, but both my husband and my daughters thought it was good. So personal preference!

All in all, we would go back here again. We travelled by ferry (which is insanely expensive for a family of 4) but we got the B&B rate which included a $40 credit per night. My husband and I have both agreed that although our daughters loved it, it would have been more suitable for a romantic weekend getaway than a family vacation. Beautiful décor and gorgeous area to go walking along the road next to the ocean.

Room Tip: Ice maker on bottom floor was noisy, we were glad we weren't in the room next to it. Ocean view...
1 Thank Tina W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Breath taking views with lots of birds and big boats sailing by.... my favorite moment was enjoying the warm pool after a late night out with a cool sprinkle of rain.... there is also a natural ocean side view where we collect many beautiful rocks...
the service was amazing and all the staff were so friendly and accommodating... the car service alone saved us a lot of extra taxi fares and was easy to book...
The fine dining restaurants food was extraordinary with an ocean view...
We enjoyed the complimentary wine tasting with local wines and it was very informative.
This is the first time I fell asleep in a spa day
It was so peaceful there and you could not hear any noise but nature...
theater was cozy and intimate. 
Will definitely come back again!
Highly recommended!
Awesome packages... best birthday ever!
Thanks so much..
Liz :)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 18 March 2014

My Husband, two young boys, and I recently stayed at the Oak Bay Beach Hotel during their Spring Break Getaway promotion. We spent 4 fabulous nights in a one bedroom suite and enjoyed as many of the services the Hotel had to offer as we could squeeze in. If we weren't enjoying a relaxing float in the mineral pools (open 24hrs/day and fully licensed), we were strolling along the ocean, getting our daily dose of the Boathouse Spa (facials, massages and pedicures were on the 'must have' list for us), picking up vanilla lattes at Kate's, feasting on 5 star fare in the Hotels dining room overlooking the ocean, or simply chillin' in our well appointed suite.

The weather was amazing and all of us came home with a lighter step, rosy cheeks and a yearning to return as soon as our schedules allow.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stayed at the hotel this weekend past and enjoyed the marvelous spacious rooms. This review should have been 5 stars, but it was down graded by the staff in the restaurant who greeted us coldly, bossed us around, and made it difficult with their 'attitude,' which many of us found unnecessary and out of place at such a fine hotel. My first reaction sensing their hostility to customers was to go somewhere else, but it was late on a rainy night and we stuck through it. The food was only average in the restaurant, but better than the greeting. Katie's Cafe was fine, its at their main restaurant the service suffers... I don't like being barked at when I'm paying +$200 for dinner.

Room Tip: We had 2 great rooms but the ocean view was far better than street side.
2 Thank datoptalent
OBBH_Team, Manager at Oak Bay Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Dear Datt,

Thank you very much for your glowing reviews of our guest rooms here at the Oak Bay Beach Hotel. We do appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and give us the candid feedback in able to help us strive for excellence in all areas. With regards to your experience with dining in our Conservatory Cafe area, we do apologize for the challenges you faced when dealing with some of our front line staff and we have used this as a training opportunity for all personnel involved. Our Dining Room, Kate's Cafe, The Snug and The Conservatory where you sat that night are all very important to us and we are extremely concerned when a guest has anything but a positively memorable experience when dining with us. I sincerely thank you for taking the time to discuss this matter with me by phone this past week and we look forward to welcoming you in the near future, upon your return to The Oak Bay Beach Hotel.

Warmest Regards,
Chris Jones
Director, Food and Beverage
Sherwood Park Alberta
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This hotel is beautiful. We enjoyed sitting in the hot pools in the evening and morning, and dinner in the restaurant was outstanding. The room is beautifully appointed and the bed very comfortable. Perfect weekend stay!

Room Tip: we had a residential view and it fine. The B&B promotion was a great touch!
Hawaii
Reviewed 14 March 2014

This is a review from when we stayed in November at the Oak Bay Beach Hotel when in Victoria for a quick visit. It's a truly impressive hotel with just a few areas that need improvement so ideally I would like to say this is 4.5.

We were in the Royal Penthouse suite which was super with a well thought out kitchen, two fireplaces and good sized dining area. Our master bedroom upstairs was wonderful, but the den below got very hot when the heating was on. The views were spectacular as you look out over the hotel grounds and the ocean. Stunning sunsets! The bathroom in the master suite even provided this with a lovely soaker bath next to its own window looking out over the living area and the views beyond.

We used room service a few times (which could be slow and sometimes the evening meals were not as described on the menu) and also the pub and main restaurant. The pub is a lovely touch to the hotel (I am a Brit so I like my pubs) but it runs more like a bar. The Dining Room had such delicious food, we still talk about those lobster mashed potatoes! Service wasn't as friendly, but that's certainly not typical of the hotel.

The spa was fantastic with nice treatment rooms and an excellent masseuse/therapist. There I had a "Balance from the Land" treatment. Wow, it did the job and I will be back!

Overall, we really liked it here, it felt very peaceful and like a second home. They looked after us so well. My eldest calls it the "big house" and he wants to go back and we will.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank VictorianPoppet
Parksvile
Reviewed 13 March 2014

The Oak Bay Beach Hotel get's everything right, need I say more. I like the fact that this hotel is away from the downtown core, peace and quiet, total serenity. I have stayed here a few times on business and would love to come back for pleasure.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business