“Nice place but not a perfect service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marifield House B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Victoria
Marifield House B&B
Ranked #23 of 94 Victoria B&B and Inns
“Nice place but not a perfect service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

The location is perfect! It is closed to both down town and Dalla road (walking distance). Furthermore, there is a bus stop where a lot of buses come near the b&b so it is really covenient to go to Swartz bay.
The house was well decorated and the room I stayed was big and clean.
The breakfast Toshie served me was amazing. It looked good and tasted awesome. I would say that having a breakfast could be the most enjoyable to stay this b&b.
However, I am afraid that I am not satisfied with David's service. His facial impression was always not good to me enven though I observed their rules. I felt like I was not welcomed. I was relly uncomfortable whenever I ran into him. He didn't say anything except greeting, which was different from another guests who stayed the same day as me. And one day, I was about to go out , locking door and he came to me and taught how to lock in te right way. Yet, he was not friendly when he teaching. I even felt embarrassed.

• Stayed May 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank abo223
Marifield, Owner at Marifield House B&B, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Interesting comment.

My wife served them herself almost exclusively as is the norm here especially when we have other guests who speak English. I dont recall if that was the case when they were here. BUt we work as a team.

I, David, made their whale watching reservations for them and made sure that they got a discount, $C 50.00, which is our commission. (As they were walk-ins, they had got a big discount on the room.)

My wife gave them the 2-rooms suite and told them they could have either the twins or the queen. They ignored her and took the queen and 1 twin. This my wife discovered when she went up to the room to check on them when it was past check out time.

When I went to say goodbye, one of the ladies had already gone out to their vehicle. My wife said thank you to the other and I said good bye and shut the door.

I will certainly be smiling when I tell someone how to lock the door next time.

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights. We found the hosts to be very kind and accommodating, especially since I have some food allergies. The breakfasts were delicious! We found the price to be very reasonable. Why stay at an expensive hotel when you could stay at the Marifield House, a lovely B&B that is within walking distance from downtown Victoria and Beacon Hill Park.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Vleuten
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

It was a very nice place to stay. They baked cookies for my husbands birthday. You have a room extra downstairs where you can read, use internet and drink tea. It is very close to the center (5 minutes walk) and you can park your car at the house.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

The Marifield House B&B is ideally located in an central location in Victoria and is within easy walking distance of the Inner Harbour to the north, the bay to the south, Beacon Hill Park to the east, and a small shopping center (with a Laundromat) to the west. Although we did have a car, we mostly used it for longer trips outside the central city. The B&B is located in James Bay, an old neighborhood and about half a block from the Emily Carr home. It was fun to walk around the neighborhood and see the many heritage houses and gardens. The B&B was beautifully decorated but not so fancy that one didn’t feel comfortable. The owners do require guests to remove their shoes in the front hall but that was no problem. The breakfasts were probably the best meals we had on Vancouver Island and were as beautifully presented as they were delicious. David was very helpful in suggesting places to visit and answering our many questions about Vancouver Island.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2010

From the minute that David warmly greeted us by opening the door as we walked up, we felt very comfortable. Marifield House is a 10 minute pretty walk from the Bus Terminal near the Empress Hotel and Legislative Buildings. The B & B is in a lovely heritage neighbourhood just past all the big landmarks.

The house has easy signage (Japanese and English) and lots of helpful maps and brochures. My son and I stayed in a nice sized room with twin beds. The area was stone silent at night and the beds were firm and perfect with lovely fresh linens. The room also had a little desk and good reading lights over the beds. For an older home, it had excellent lighting throughout. We accessed the ensuite bathroom which has a shower (no bath) and large bottles of shampoo and soap. The room also had a little TV...a nice bonus at a B & B.

David made us feel welcome to use the large guest living room which has a nice table, lots of sofas and chairs and nice heritage prints on the wall. We were not able to get a good internet connection using their 2 laptops which are available for guests. We weren't that interested anyway so you should know that we didn't pursue this.

Breakfast was outstanding! We met Toshi in the morning and she gave us a warm and friendly greeting and served up one of the healthiest and tastiest B&B breakfasts we've had: whole wheat waffles with fresh berries, whipped cream, pears, maple and blueberry syrups, yogurt, a bowl of fresh fruit with the apples cut in an origami design, delicious organic coffee, sausage, good juice (Tropicana maybe).

David and I had a nice chat...he didn't hover and I think he knew I would enjoy the chat. i think he's the type of guy that would also totally leave you alone if you wanted.

It was all easy and pleasant. We stayed for one night.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Marifield, Owner at Marifield House B&B, responded to this review, 26 June 2011
We hae wifi and so forth. Sometimes, about once a month, the wifi router stops working and I have to unplug it and plub it back in. But thank you for the nice review! David
Denton, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2010

David and Toshie were gracious hosts that spent the time to help us understand the Victoria area. The room (#1) was very comfortable and spacious, and the breakfasts were awesome. See the amenities in the other posts -- we were very well taken care of here.

The location is very close to downtown Victoria (10 min walk). You really don't need a car to get around in Victoria. And, other than the drive to Butchart Gardens, you really don't need a car at all on the island (unless you are driving to the western coast -- some 250+ miles away!). Don't bother traveling up to Nanaimo, as it is a small town with shopping malls and car dealerships -- not at all what we expected. David later suggested he would have avoided the drive there. We should have asked first...

Be sure to visit Butchart Gardens, Government House grounds, and Red Fish Blue Fish down on the float plane docks.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Middlesex, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2009

We stayed at the Marifield for 2-nights as part of our tour around BC and Alberta. The Marifeld is located in a quiet suburban area of Victoria but close enough to walk into the centre. The house is full of character with a beautiful garden. David and Toshie made us feel very welcome and they had a large number of maps and leaflets of interesting sites in the area. They also provide 2-laptops in the dining room for guests use for emails etc. and WiFi is available downstairs if you are travelling with a laptop.

We stayed in room 1 which is very comfortable with a large bathroom and an enormous double shower. There are all the toiletries you could need, along with bottles of water and a hairdryer. Room 1 is at the front of the house overlooking the front garden and it is very quiet at night. The House is situated about a 15-minute walk down Government Street to the centre of Victoria and we did not need to use our car whilst staying at the Marifield (there is a large parking space to the side of the property).

David's suggestion of a bistro in the evening was very good and only a 10-minute walk away. There is also a launderette and supermarket (Thrifty) in the same area which provides anything you could possibly need. Breakfast is included and Toshie and David bake a range of delights including cinnamon scones and fresh waffles which set you up for a days walking.

Victoria is small enough to see most sights in a day or two and I would definitely recommend a 'tub' trip around the harbour with lunch at the Fishermen's Wharf.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple