“Better options out there”
Review of HI Victoria Hostel

and 1 more site!
HI Victoria Hostel
Toronto, Canada
“Better options out there”
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Stayed here one night. Price is $20 IF you have a membership. I didn't have a membership so it was $25.13. For that price you get a huge men's dorm. If you're a woman I would guess they put you in the equivalent female dorm.
The dorm is MASSIVE, like 50 people massive. It was like a high school gymnasium. I was so tired from traveling that I didn't care, however if you're looking for a quieter nights sleep it might not be for you. The beds are nice although the mattress is very uncomfortable. The bathrooms are not private, not that I care. The showers were not that great.

I stayed here and also stayed at the main competition in town. The ONLY 2 advantages that this hostel has is the location to all of the cool bars downtown and a really huge bike rack to lock up your tired, traveling bicycle.

I personally would not recommend this place, just because I was turned off by the huge dorms and the non-private bathrooms. For the price they charged it wasn't a great value but it was a place to sleep for a night. The location is great however and the service was good. I would check the other main hostel on Pandora for a way better people vibe and for a nicer sleep.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank ToAFarOffLand

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Nelson, Canada
Reviewed 20 November 2012

This hostel is what hosteling was meant to be. Its not fancy, in fact its pretty basic, but clean, with lots of common areas, a pleasant staff, good local information and easy access to transit, ferries and other amenities.
It is an old style hostel. If you're looking for a boutique, go somewhere else. But if you're looking for a safe, economical and friendly place to base your Victoria experience from, this is it.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Will W
HI_Victoria, Staff at HI Victoria Hostel, responded to this review, 29 December 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this fantastic review. You have put a smile on our face.

Look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Victoria!
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Stayed for 3 nights at the HI Victoria. Whilst the hostel is clean and is situated in a good location, I felt the (few) people staying here weren't there to make friends or speak to you. Perhaps more importantly, I felt deceived having booked a 4 bed dorm online via hostelbookers. However upon arrival, I was shoved in a 44 bed dorm; which I wouldn't have booked in the first place. Having read other reviews about this hostel on tripadvisor, it seems that I am not the only one this has happened to. Clearly the staff/management at this hostel are clearly trying to make it look like there is ample availability of 4-bed dorms which is why they make it look this way on various hostel booking websites. A very snidely sales tactic. To summarize, whilst this HI is clean, it is a hostel that lacks any vibe, has unfriendly staff, with no planned activities and/or free breakfast. Overall... very disappointed. I had spent one night at the rival 'ocean inn' hostel and that was 100x better AND Cheaper!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank David S
Hello from HI Victoria.

We are sorry to hear our hostel did not meet your expectations.

Please rest assured we do not try to mislead people when making a reservation online. We are not sure which booking engine you used, but we try to make it very clear that our smaller dorms are coed and meant for male and females traveling together who would like to sleep in the same room. Thank you for your feedback regarding this miscommunication issue and we will endeavor to provide clearer information.

As we are sure you are aware, the vibe at a hostel can vary depending on the guests staying at that time. Sometimes we are full of friendly hostellers who want to meet people and everywhere you go in the building there is constant chitchat and laughter. At other times there can perhaps be more solitary travelers and the place may seem a bit quieter. Sorry to hear your fellow hostellers were not as outgoing as you had hoped.

We pride ourselves on our genuine, knowledgeable staff and apologize that you found them unfriendly. We will continue to train our staff in top-notch customer service and hope their helpful and friendly disposition is communicated in future.

Thank you for mentioning our cleanliness. HI Hostels must meet certain cleanliness and safety standards and we do our upmost to ensure our hostels are clean, safe and friendly.

We do offer free continental breakfast now!

Thanks again for taking the time to review our property.

Travellers are raving about these Victoria hotels

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Location: Good location. Can walk to the waterfront. Shops, cafes, pubs a walkable distance too. Public transport is also a walkable distance. Hostel isnt on a nosiey or busy street.

Staff: Polite and friendly, but dont give accurate travel information

Rooms: BIG let down. we booked a 4 bed dorm but the rooms are not set out like that at all. There are 3, 20bed bunk dorms which everyone stays in. If you book a 4 bed dorm, you get a partical wall divider between your beds and the other 20 beds. not what i expected when i booked at all, very misleading. the room was very nosey because there were so many people staying there and people were coming and going all night, turning the lights on and off and chattering during the sleeping hours. The kitchen was dirty and weird. NO FREE BREAKFAST, like most other hi hostels. Wifi was really slow and kept dropping out. There were not comfortable couches or common areas like most other hi hostels and there wasnt any organised hostel activities. I felt very let down by this hostel, as it is nothing like the rest of the hi chain which i usually enjoy.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Hello from HI Victoria!

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. We agree, our location is great!

We are sorry to hear you were not given accurate travel information. We strive to have a friendly, knowledgeable staff that prides themselves on knowing the ins and outs of our beautiful city. We are disappointed that this was not demonstrated to you and will make sure our staff is up to date on all travel information.

Our accommodations are more traditional hostel style, which means larger dorms. Our website is not meant to be misleading and we shall investigate this further. We do our best to let all guests know to be as quiet and respectful as possible to insure other guests are not disturbed. There are also earplugs available at the front desk to assist when noise is an issue.

We are sorry to hear you were unable to locate our common areas. Our second floor has a games room, with pool table and foosball table, two common areas with couches and chairs for relaxing and socializing, and a TV room.

We have a very strict cleaning schedule at our hostel and are surprised to hear you found the kitchen dirty. We apologize for this and will investigate further.

We are also sorry to hear you had problems with our complimentary WIFI and hope it was mentioned to our friendly front desk staff so the issue could be resolved.

Thanks again for taking the time to review our property and we hope you enjoyed our beautiful city.
Whistler, Canada
Reviewed 3 September 2012

My friend and I stayed 3 nights at this hostel at the end of August. It has an awesome location, walking distance to all tourist attractions and across the road from a great Carribean restaurant. The staff had good suggestions of where to eat. We were put in a 16 bed dorm, which was full because it was summer. The room was clean and beds comfortable enough. There was one small bathroom with toilet and sink in the room and then a large bathroom upstairs with showers and more toilets. The showers lacked privacy, which wasnt great. Its just one room where you have to undress in front of other people right before you get in the shower and even then the shower doors are kind of see through. Bathrooms were clean. Huge kitchen and dining area. There was also an 80 year old lady staying in our dorm who complained when we turned on the lights at 9pm to get ready for bed after coming home from dinner, which i thought was strange. Overall its a good place to stay for a few nights while exploring Victoria.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Hello form HI Victoria!

You’re right, our location can’t be beat! And we agree, The Reef serves amazing Caribbean food, and is such a handy location.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the privacy in our shower area. This shall be passed on to management and we will look into ways to provide more privacy.

Many Thanks,
Team HI Victoria
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I stay there for a night with agood friend of mine. The Hostel isn't cheap at all. Especially because they do not provide breakfast. But it was clean and the staff was friendly.
My first impression was a good one. Even I was going to spent my night in a 40-men-dorm (!). I was exited, how this will work out. I had a very good nights rest. I can't complain about the size of the dorm. 4 bunks (8 men) are in one niche, so you can have a bit privacy. One big point that needs improvement is that I found only 2 power outlets in this dormroom. Please put one power outlet right next to every bed. I want be able to charge my cellpone/laptop/tablet in my bed!
The Bathrooms are ok, but apper to me really old. I do not complain about the setting or arrangement, just put soem work into them.
When I stayed there we did not have a noise problem inside or outside.

Overall: I read lots of reviews and knew what I did. So not much to complain about. In Germany this place wouldn't be able to stay in business with such a big dormroom and more than 30$ per night.

Room Tip: don't be afraid of the big male dorm!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dschi
Thank you for your feedback.

We are glad to hear that overall your stay was enjoyable.

Cheers,
HI Victoria
Kennebunk, Maine
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I booked here with some apprehensions after reading some negative reviews, but I had no complaints. The location of this hostel is superior, steps from the Victoria Clipper ferry, Empress Hotel, and the most upscale waterfront amenities. The women's dorm upstairs where I slept was only 1/2 full, had a good bathroom and worked fine. The only complaint was noise from rude people in the street talking too loud. Always bring ear plugs and eye masks when staying in hostels. Staff was great. Kitchen and laundry OK. Bulletin boards and leaflets suggested things to do and how to get to them. Because we were centrally located we could walk everywhere we wanted to go and could take a public bus to Butchart Gardens. The Tofino Bus picks up at the hostel. And I do recommend going to Tofino for a break from cities. Victoria was grand. Outside our door were good restaurants, fun pubs, interesting shops, fine museum, the waterfront, parks, Chinatown. The hostel was clean with quiet hostelers.

Room Tip: Inquire if there are rooms away from the street. Traffic was not noisy, but loud people talking out...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank maineexpl0rer
Thank you so much for your comments.

We are so glad to hear you had a nice stay and hope to see you on your next trip to Victoria!