“Great location, friendly owners in Victoria”

Fisher House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #19 of 93 Victoria B&B and Inns
Edmonton
“Great location, friendly owners in Victoria”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Quaint B&B with only three rooms. Excellent location close to downtown and where the cruise ships come in. Owners are very friendly and helpful. House is beautiful - we stayed in the room with the private bathroom and balcony... lovely. Breakfast was OK, not as nice as I have experienced for this price in Victoria, but was still good. Also didn't like the noise of all the seagulls in the morning, but that's what you get with a B&B this close to the ocean. Overall a nice property and experience.

Room Tip: pick the room with the private bathroom and balcony
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
fisherhouse, Owner at Fisher House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Thank you for your kind review! We love the location, too. It's just so easy to get anywhere by foot or bus. I forget how close we are to the ocean, and it sometimes seems criminal that I don't go look at it at least once a day! Yes, those delightful creatures enjoy and take full advantage of their federal protection status, so we and the neighbors have some abatement in place. It was fun getting the peacock strolling in the backyard, though! I didn't mind that surprise. Anyway, thank you for your review, I'm so happy you enjoyed your stay. Warmest,
Jen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Three of us stayed at the Fisher House B&B in July. We all enjoyed our stay and would gladly book there again.

The B&B is located on Simcoe, about equidistant from Belleville along the Inner Harbour and Dallas Road. It is in a residential area, about a 12 – 15 minute walk to the beginning of downtown Victoria, and therefore away from the bustle. If driving, it is best to approach the B&B from Menzies, rather than Oswego. Parking is tight in the front of the B&B and approaching from Oswego requires a 180 degree turn into the parking space.

There are approximately a dozen steps going up to the entrance. In addition to the entry way on the first floor, there is a lounge for use of the guests, as well as the dining room. Bedrooms are located on the next floor above, up a stairway of about 15 or 16 steps. Although we had absolutely no difficulty in climbing either set of stairs, this B&B might not be the best choice for anyone who has mobility issues.

There are three “main” bedrooms. The room at the back, which we saw as It was being prepared for new guests, has a king bed, an ensuite bathroom and a lovely outdoor balcony/patio overlooking the back garden. The two others rooms have either a queen bed or twin beds. A smaller room for one person can be booked in conjunction with either of these two rooms, which makes it very convenient if several persons are travelling together. Each of the two rooms has a bathroom, either across the hall or down the hall, which is private and dedicated to that room. (The person in the smaller room shares whichever bathroom belongs to the main bedroom with which it has been booked.)

The B&B is very well kept, but being a heritage building does have the usual creaky floors that one expects in a building of its age. Our rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. Breakfast was delicious. (Prospective guests should consult the “Breakfast” description on the website as there is an opportunity for a lighter breakfast to be served, but only on request.) One morning, there were seven of us at the breakfast table, two persons needing a gluten-free breakfast, two persons needing a vegan breakfast and our party of three who were happy with whatever Jen chose to serve, and all were accommodated. The first day we were served lovely blueberry and nut pancakes. The second day we ate a delicious quiche. There were facilities in the dining room to brew tea or coffee during the day and freshly baked cookies appeared in the evening.

Jen was a lovely hostess. She was flexible regarding our check-in time (just after lunch because of ferry times – but discussed before arrival) and helpful in suggesting nearby restaurants where locals go to eat. We ate dinner at two of her recommendations (Heron Rock Bistro further down Simcoe and Bubby’s Kitchen in Cook Village) and really enjoyed our meals.

All in all, we had a lovely stay and, as mentioned, would gladly stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank itchyfeet090
Thank you for the excellent and descriptive review for Fisher House. I think you nailed it! We're so happy you're just a ferry ride away, so we get to see you again! It was a pleasure! Warmest,
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013

After travelling in Alaska and Canada for one month we are disappointed to report that the hospitality we received at this B & B fell below our expectations and compares unfavourably with our other experiences.
The accommodation is conveniently situated about 20-25 minutes walk from the main area of Victoria. It is clean with the sole use of bathroom across the corridor.
We found Jenny, the host ,very business like who did not have time for any chat. We were advised on our arrival that breakfast was 8.30am prompt. We were quite bemused by this but she was to her word , not a minute before or after , it felt like a military establishment.
If you weren't down on time , well tough ,the breakfast was plonked down and left to go cold as we saw happened to someone visiting at the same time as us. There was a cooked breakfast every day, there did not seem any choice and unfortunately we did not enjoy a lot of the food she provided .
Worst of all one morning I was down first, sat down hoping that my husband could sit beside me for breakfast . When Jenny entered the room she asked me to move seats to enable some Canadian students who were attending a conference sit together. Two of the students had arrived together but the third was on her own. There was only five of us and the seating arrangement was 2 seats either side of the table and one at the end, so I am not sure why I had to move. I am sure the students who chatted with us daily would be shocked at this treatment. We stayed there for 4 nights and just sat in seats available and no one was displaced for us and would have been upset if they had. I felt like a second class citizen and felt that if I had been a Canadian citizen I would have been treated differently.

We were also disappointed in her advice about trips/sightseeing . She only seemed to direct us to tour companies. We had been on the tour around Victoria which we had requested and enjoyed very much. However when she supplied us with tickets from Butchart gardens we thought we were going via public transport and were quite surprised when it was a tour bus. As we had learnt about Victoria the day before we did not need to be told the same information on the following day. We would have preferred to go on a public bus and it would have been much cheaper for us. Jenny obviously gets some sort of incentive if she sells lots of these tours but she should be advising people of their options, she might not get so many bonuses but she would have happier guests. It is a shame that we have to write such a report as although we did enjoy Victoria our visit was marred and we were glad to leave this B & B.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dusty34
fisherhouse, Owner at Fisher House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Thank you, “Dusty34” for taking time to write a review bringing your views to my attention. It is so regrettable that your visit at the beginning of June coincided with a family health matter that may have caused me to seem preoccupied. It would hopefully explain but not forgive, my behaviour in leading you to the misconception that I was anti-British or brusque or too-business-like.

As for the matter of putting breakfast out before guests even arrived at the table, this was very perplexing to me as it is something I would never do . And then I recalled that the student teachers you referred to had actually requested breakfast promptly at 8:30 during their 5-day stay so they could reach their conference on time at 9. The fact is that they slept in, and this caused you to misconstrue my intent. If they had told me that that particular morning would be a sleeping in day, I would have gladly kept their breakfasts warm in the oven. Even a note on the previous evening, left on the dining table would’ve alerted me to their change of schedule. Communication is everything, isn’t it?
Other reviews on Trip Advisor underline my dedication to guests’ needs by being flexible and responsive; whether it’s for an earlier check-in, special dietary needs, breakfast at a different time, or really anything.
I do pride myself on serving healthy breakfasts made with local meats, fresh organic produce and my own baking and home-made fruit courses. With a bit of notice and if I had the ingredients, I might’ve been able to provide you with a breakfast favourite of yours.
I encourage you to not be shy about your preferences when staying at a B&B. The B&B hosts that I know are very keen to please our guests.

In fact I regularly hear how pleased guests are with my recommendations for sightseeing, restaurants and excursions. Guests find the Butchart Gardens Shuttle you felt mis-led about that gets folks there in 30 minutes, instead of 75 minutes on the public bus, worth the extra $10. On a short holiday, guests usually want to make the most of every moment. Again, I’m perplexed because I usually write the bus numbers on the map I provide upon check-in. But I shall take your advice and make extra sure I mention the city bus numbers to guests who would rather go that way.

For the record, I do not accept commissions from the shuttle service, but pass along the slight discount to my guests.

Again I am sincere when I say that I do wish you had shared your feelings with me any time during your four-day stay so I could have attempted some remedy on the spot. But, thank you for your perspective. I intend to put some of your well-considered suggestions into practice.
Best wishes,
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed two days in this lovely house. We had a king size bed with our own bath room which was great. Jennifer is a very sweet host and the breakfast she serves is delicious, although just to much for me to eat all of it (sorry Jennifer). It's easy to walk to many attractive sites in Victoria. We highly recommend this charming B&B.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Alex,
Thank you for your sweet review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and that we could be a part of making your trip memorable. Have a beautiful day. Warmest, Jennifer
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We stayed for 2 nights around Canada day. The house was charming and authentic in decoration, spotlessly clean, super breakfasts and very friendly host. 10 minute walk to town or 5 minutes to the stunning coastline. Really glad we picked this characterful, friendly and well-located B&B... Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Angela,
I'm so happy you enjoyed your stay and found the house as you did. We really enjoy living in it and being the caretakers of it for a little while. I'm also happy you took advantage of the great walks by the ocean. And hopefully, you got to stick around for the amazing fireworks on Canada Day! There's just no place that does it better-marvelous! Have a super day, and thank you for your review. Warmest, Jen
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed 13 June 2013

My husband and I were vacationing in Victoria for three days and found Fisher House to be the perfect B&B for us. It was quiet, comfortable, well located near major tourist attractions, and offered us the gluten-free breakfasts we were hoping to find. Should our travels take us back to Victoria, we will return to this lovely and welcoming B&B. Thank you, Jen!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Marianne,
Thank you for your review! We'd love to have you back anytime!
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I loved my stay at this gorgeous B&B. It was perfect for me in every way -- charming host, comfortable and quiet, 15 minute walk to everything, quality breakfast with specially made gluten free offerings that were delicious. Thanks, Jen!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank michellemadeleine
Dear Michelle,
Thanks for your kindness in sending a review. I'm so glad we could be a part of your fun trip! Having been gluten free myself for a couple years, I enjoy the challenge of making yummy things that don't make me feel like I'm missing out on one of life's greatest pleasures: bread! So, I'm happy to hear you liked the breaky. Have a super day, and we would love to see you again!