Yes, the location is amazing. Yes, the hotel is gorgeous. Yes, the staff are gracious and accommodating.
However. . . the rest of the experience ranged from ordinary to obnoxious. Since it is such a landmark, you can expect endless crowds coming and going, most of which are so intoxicated by the beauty of the facility they walked right into us. We stayed the few days before Christmas, so there were gaudy trees everywhere from some sponsored event. These varied from lovely to ridiculous, but because of them, ALL traffic stopped within the hotel. The trees were strewn down every hallway, so there was no way to escape the gawkers.
The rooms, while quaint, don't match the quality, quiet, or decor of the less expensive chains. In fact, the walls were so thin, we regularly heard the coughing and bathrooming of those around us. Avoid the upgrade to the "bay view." One small window with a glimpse of the bay does not justify the expense.
Perhaps worst of all, I did not expect to be so nickle and dimed. Parking is rather expensive, there are no free local calls, and Wi-Fi is $15 a day. For such a "luxury" hotel, it would seem some of this could have been absorbed.
Needless to say, though we come to Victoria several times a year, we won't be back. There are better, less expensive options with equally good location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Regarded as a Condé Nast Readers' Choice and Gold List hotel, and honoured with the Travel + Leisure distinction as a top Canadian hotel, the Fairmont Empress graces Victoria's sparkling Inner Harbour with an iconic presence. The Fairmont Empress, Victoria B.C.’s most iconic hotel, has just unveiled a $60 million dollar restoration.This luxury hotel offers 464 beautifully appointed guest rooms and suites, and expansive meeting and wedding space adjacent to the conference centre. Located on the picturesque West Coast of Canada, this is the ideal location to explore all the natural beauty of Vancouver Island. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your The Fairmont Empress reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Fairmont Empress Hotel Victoria
- Fairmont Hotel Victoria
- Fairmont Hotel Empress
- Empress Hotel Victoria
- Fairmont Victoria
- Victoria Fairmont
- Fairmont Empress Hotel
- The Fairmont Empress Victoria, Vancouver Island