“Beautiful Hotel in a beautiful Island Town!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Fairmont Empress
Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
GreenLeadersGold level
San Francisco Bay Area, Us
“Beautiful Hotel in a beautiful Island Town!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

Love this Hotel, not only because of it is the oldest and famous hotel in Victoria, but also give me the comfort and spacious stay! Stuff are friendly and helpful. Bought the great English breakfast tea from the store. A little expensive but it's worth! My stay there in Oct 2013 will be the greatest memory over all trips that I took for 2013!
Will love to come back and stay there if I have a chance to go visit Victoria, BC again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FairmontEmpress1908, General Manager at The Fairmont Empress, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Valued Guest from San Francisco Bay,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that we were able to provide you with the service that The Fairmont Empress is so well known for. It is wonderful to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. I hope you had the opportunity to enjoy a city tour of Victoria and see all that our city has to offer. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.

Don Fennerty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (907)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

Valentines weekend. There is no other place I would rather be with my sweetheart than the Fairmont Empress Hotel in Victoria.
For years my wife's dream was to go to Victoria, stay at the Fairmont Empress hotel and enjoy High Tea there. I presented her with here dream come true on Valentine's weekend.
But I did even better than that. I upgraded to an Empress - Gold room.
We were greeted warmly, checked in the minimal amount of time and presented out room. Our huge, clean, wonderful room and a long stem rose with chocolate covered strawberries.
We are not accustom to high life living and were at a loss as to what to expect and the staff at the Empress set us at ease. They are warm and friendly and treated us as if we were long lost relatives. To my wife and I it was wonderful!
To us, Victoria is the Empress and the Empress embellishes Victoria.

Room Tip: Go for the Gold. You will never regret it.
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

I definitely recommend the Fairmont for your vacation trips, go and enjoy the best service from the best hotel.

Be prepared to pay a $50 seat in the afternoon tea (totally worth it) and enjoy from one of the Canadian Landmarks available to the general public.

JB

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FairmontEmpress1908, General Manager at The Fairmont Empress, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear Valued Guest from Winnipeg,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that we were able to provide you with the service that The Fairmont Empress is so well known for. It is wonderful to hear that you were able to enjoy our Afternoon Tea experience. I hope you had the opportunity to enjoy a city tour of Victoria and see all that our city has to offer. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.

Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed here during An Occasion for Tea with Tea Time magazine. The hotel did a wonderful job hosting the event. Stayed two nights in a room with two queen beds. Room was spacious, beds were comfortable. Has old world charm and history. Staff was friendly. Sign up for the club to get free internet plus other perks. Bengal Lounge was awesome! We went down for drinks one night, tried the next and could not ever get past a 45 min wait-tried 3 times! Try the drink with tea infused vodka-it was Amazing.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

It'a nice enough and the location is certainly unbeatable ... BUT $30 extra a day just for parkiing strikes me as over the top!
That being said,
a) the staff are pleasant ... and
b) the Bombay Room (the hotel's bar) is delightful ... best part of the hotel ... a real Raj-like atmosphere. They have a superb Indian buffet ...but most importantly, the fish and chips are the best anywhere! Its most fun to eat at the bar (alert: there are only four stools) because the bartenders are great fun to watch and very entertaining. I almost forgot ... the ice-cream is delicious.

1 Thank kingzogofalbania
FairmontEmpress1908, General Manager at The Fairmont Empress, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I was pleased to read that you were able to enjoy the curry buffet as well as the fish and chips in The Bengal Lounge. I was very happy to read that we were able to provide you with the service that The Fairmont Empress is so well known for and that the bartenders were entertaining. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.

Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

We had a terrific time on Valentines day - got the reservation a couple days prior, Harbour views were spectacular - the room was comfortable and luxurious. Chocolate covered strawberries and champagne greeted us on our coffee table, a rose on the bed.
The service at the front desk was superb - the Fairmont Gold lounge was super inviting with free food and a wonderful selection of wines, beers and alcohols at the Honour Bar (we poured and poured and poured) as we sat looking out at the most iconic view of the city. We were also pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Breakfast! Delicious hot items and cold items - full meal deal really.
Room service was fast and extremely delicious - with the nicest touch being an included tip and no need to fill anything out. Plus a unique rolling dining table so we could eat properly.
The pool was one of the warmest I have ever been to, also with great views of the city - and a hot tub too! Never crowded.
The bed was UNBELIEVABLE - so soft - high quality duvet and all - beautiful city views - and some of the best pillows I have ever had at a hotel. Could have stayed forever!
I love this hotel - the staff were incredible - the service was impeccable. A true Gem of Canada. Thanks Fairmont!
Note to all: We stayed in a Harbour View King Fairmont Gold - The Gold is soooo worth every penny for the perks I just decribed. Happy Hour appies, Tea in the afternoon, and a huge breakfast in the morning! Do it!

Dear Valued Guest from Victoria,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that you had such a memorable stay on our Fairmont Gold floor for your Valentine's Day Celebration. Our Fairmont Gold staff are wonderful and I am happy that we were able to provide you with the service that The Fairmont Empress is so well known for. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress again one day soon.

Tacoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

Living only a few hours away, I come to Victoria with my wife every few years. I've always wanted to stay here, so we did for 2 nights in September (our 20th anniversary). Being an older hotel, it is not as shiny and fancy as many newer hotels - but it is still very elegant and refined. I am glad we chose to stay here - although I will not feel pressed to do so again. Once was enough for that kind of money.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple