“Will Return”

GreenLeadersGold level
Seattle
“Will Return”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Annual Xmas gift to my S.O. We alway's upgrade to Gold and it's worth every penny. Great staff and beautiful room. Private tea room (Gold Only) is exceptional. Excellent Breakfast. If coming from the states take the Black Ball ferry from Port Angeles then walk to the Hotel. We have never been told your room is not available due to early check in. I can't think of any negative issues.

Room Tip: Alway's upgrade to Gold. The private tea room (with a view of the harbor) pay's for itself i...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (952)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Although the treatment and staff on Gold level was good the welcoming staff was non existent. As I parked infront and waited for help... there was nobody for several minutes. I then proceeded to bring all my bags onto a dolly and just as I was pushing it into the hotel someone came out! Not the type of service you see at any of the other Fairmont properties in BC . Later in the evening, same thing, maybe valet and bell desk was short staffed durning out stay but the service was brutal. The room was comfortable but the tub didn't drain and it took over an hour to get someone to the room and it took more than one call to get them to hurry up so I could go to bed. This is not the first time I have stayed here and got bad service, maybe it's the poor design of the building and everyone gets lost and takes too long to serve the customers who pay good money to visit them!

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Fox T
San Francisco Bay Area, Us
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Love this Hotel, not only because of it is the oldest and famous hotel in Victoria, but also give me the comfort and spacious stay! Stuff are friendly and helpful. Bought the great English breakfast tea from the store. A little expensive but it's worth! My stay there in Oct 2013 will be the greatest memory over all trips that I took for 2013!
Will love to come back and stay there if I have a chance to go visit Victoria, BC again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
FairmontEmpress1908, General Manager at The Fairmont Empress, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Valued Guest from San Francisco Bay,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that we were able to provide you with the service that The Fairmont Empress is so well known for. It is wonderful to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. I hope you had the opportunity to enjoy a city tour of Victoria and see all that our city has to offer. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.

Seattle
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Valentines weekend. There is no other place I would rather be with my sweetheart than the Fairmont Empress Hotel in Victoria.
For years my wife's dream was to go to Victoria, stay at the Fairmont Empress hotel and enjoy High Tea there. I presented her with here dream come true on Valentine's weekend.
But I did even better than that. I upgraded to an Empress - Gold room.
We were greeted warmly, checked in the minimal amount of time and presented out room. Our huge, clean, wonderful room and a long stem rose with chocolate covered strawberries.
We are not accustom to high life living and were at a loss as to what to expect and the staff at the Empress set us at ease. They are warm and friendly and treated us as if we were long lost relatives. To my wife and I it was wonderful!
To us, Victoria is the Empress and the Empress embellishes Victoria.

Room Tip: Go for the Gold. You will never regret it.
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I definitely recommend the Fairmont for your vacation trips, go and enjoy the best service from the best hotel.

Be prepared to pay a $50 seat in the afternoon tea (totally worth it) and enjoy from one of the Canadian Landmarks available to the general public.

JB

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
FairmontEmpress1908, General Manager at The Fairmont Empress, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear Valued Guest from Winnipeg,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that we were able to provide you with the service that The Fairmont Empress is so well known for. It is wonderful to hear that you were able to enjoy our Afternoon Tea experience. I hope you had the opportunity to enjoy a city tour of Victoria and see all that our city has to offer. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.

Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed here during An Occasion for Tea with Tea Time magazine. The hotel did a wonderful job hosting the event. Stayed two nights in a room with two queen beds. Room was spacious, beds were comfortable. Has old world charm and history. Staff was friendly. Sign up for the club to get free internet plus other perks. Bengal Lounge was awesome! We went down for drinks one night, tried the next and could not ever get past a 45 min wait-tried 3 times! Try the drink with tea infused vodka-it was Amazing.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Canada
Reviewed 17 February 2014

It'a nice enough and the location is certainly unbeatable ... BUT $30 extra a day just for parkiing strikes me as over the top!
That being said,
a) the staff are pleasant ... and
b) the Bombay Room (the hotel's bar) is delightful ... best part of the hotel ... a real Raj-like atmosphere. They have a superb Indian buffet ...but most importantly, the fish and chips are the best anywhere! Its most fun to eat at the bar (alert: there are only four stools) because the bartenders are great fun to watch and very entertaining. I almost forgot ... the ice-cream is delicious.

1 Thank kingzogofalbania
FairmontEmpress1908, General Manager at The Fairmont Empress, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I was pleased to read that you were able to enjoy the curry buffet as well as the fish and chips in The Bengal Lounge. I was very happy to read that we were able to provide you with the service that The Fairmont Empress is so well known for and that the bartenders were entertaining. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.