The Fairmont Empress
US$287
  • Restaurant
US$268
  • Pool
Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites(Victoria)
US$310
Embassy Inn(Victoria)(Great Value!)
US$225
US$188
Orbitz.com
James Bay Inn Hotel, Suites & Cottage(Victoria)(Great Value!)
US$237
Travelocity
Oak Bay Beach Hotel(Victoria)
US$312
US$281
4,118 results
All reviewsbengal loungehigh teaafternoon teagold floorbengal roompresident's clubcurry buffettea roomceiling fanold worldbeautiful hotelair conditioningharbor view roomsconesbutchart gardensbritish columbiainner harbor
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We hosted our wedding at The Fairmont Empress with 70 guests, then stayed for another week to have our honeymoon in Victoria.

I cannot say enough great things of this hotel.

By far the best hotel experience I have had with any hotel, let lone a Fairmont. The staff is all extremely personable, very professinal and courteous, and will do all they can to accommodate you. The rooms are lovely, great linens, great amenities. The food & beverage was wonderful. I am gluten-free and they accommodated this in the best manner I have seen yet. The restaurants all had great selections. The bar was well served. The room service was quick. The banquet staff was lovely. The location was ideal.

I honestly do not have a poor thing to say about this venue. Absolutely worth the price and I will return again and again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
FairmontEmpress1908, General Manager at The Fairmont Empress, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Valued Guest from Winnipeg,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor regarding your recent wedding which you hosted here at The Fairmont Empress. First and foremost, congratulations! I am so pleased to read that we were able to provide you with the service that The Fairmont Empress is so well known for. I am very happy that we were able to accomodate your gluten free needs as well with an assortment of great selections. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review and share your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress again soon.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

The glorious Empress is set at the end of Victoria Harbour. It has all the expected facets- excellent staff, easy checkin with a lot of history and elegance. The rooms are large with ensuite and we have a closet (or dressing room) room as well. The full length mirror was hard to find hidden behind the closet door. The in room sound system (Bose) is excellent. The Empress is set central to everything in or happens in Victoria. The grounds or gardens are beautiful as well as the hotels speciality rooms eg Afternoon tea room. I would prefer less chunky fitting in the room (maybe original), but more delicate lights and bath fittings would add to the elegance which it has loads of.

Room Tip: Ask for a Gold Room (costs more) and have special add-ons and harbour views,but it is worth it. Sample meals are provided in the gold (club) room as well as drinks and snacks. Complimentary breakfast, light version of the fabulous afternoon tea, and other refreshments are provided.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest from Ipswich,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I am so thrilled to read that you enjoyed the history and elegance of the hotel. As an interesting historical fact to share, The Empress Room, our formal dining room features ceiling molding that is actually done with horse hair and plaster! I am also happy to read that you enjoyed our beautiful grounds and our wonderful location. I hope that you had a chance to take a city tour and enjoy all that our city has to offer. Thank you for your feedback regarding the bathroom lights and bath fittings which I will share with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Had give a speech the morning after I arrived at the Empress. I arrived, my suit did not. Front desk staff found a sports jacket in my size within minutes of my arrival, & would not accept a tip. That's service.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guest from Palo Alto,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I am so happy to read that we were able to solve the problem of your suit jacket in time for you to present your speech. We have truly amazing staff here and I am so pleased to know that we were able to provide you with the service that The Fairmont Empress is so well known for. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review and share your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Beautiful hotel and very warm, friendly staff. The rooms are small, but comfortably appointed. The only downside is limited number of electrical outlets that are easily accessible and no air-conditioning. The grounds are lovely, and the location can't be beat! It feels like quintessential Victoria.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest from Avon,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that we were able to provide you with the service that The Fairmont Empress is so well known for. We offer 477 different rooms, all with unique configurations which is one of the features of our historic property. Thank you for your feedback regarding the electrical outlets which will be shared with our team. I am glad to read that you enjoyed our beautiful grounds and also our wonderful location. I hope you had the opportunity to enjoy a city tour of Victoria and see all that our city has to offer. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Whenever we visit Victoria its hard to think of staying anywhere other than the Empress. I know there are many wonderful hotels in the area but they just can't compare. The grandeur of what used to be the old lobby - now the tea room, the incredible service and friendliness of the staff, the wonderful bar tender at the Bengal lounge bar, the beautiful atrium and oh yes, the wonderful tea and small sandwiches, an incredible experience at any time of the year!!!! Beyond the above you have the wonderful rooms, we like to save up and stay on the suite level in a room with the view of the harbor but on the top floor there's also a room that's a favorite of me and my husband, its window is one of the ones you see from outside near the top with an A-frame structure over the window. While the room may be considered small by some, I call it quaint with views that are spectacular!! The history behind the hotel is so very interesting as well and the historical pictures hung on the walls throughout the empress make walking through it an incredible journey back in time!! Whether you go for just the day, have Tea and explore the hotel or go for a stay, its something everyone should experience, I hope you truly enjoy it as I do each time we go for a visit!!!

Room Tip: If you can, stay on the suite level rooms are large and comfortable and the breakfast ism wonderful, otherwise go for a top floor room with a view of the harbor!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susan M
FairmontEmpress1908, General Manager at The Fairmont Empress, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Valued Guest from Maple Valley,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that we were able to provide you with the service that The Fairmont Empress is so well known for. It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed the Bengal Lounge and our wonderful Afternoon Tea experience. Nearly 100,000 guests are served annually with an estimated 500,000 cups of tea. It sounds like you were able to visit our archives and enjoy the wonderful historical photographs and menus from days gone by. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.