“Fairmont Empress Hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Burnaby
“Fairmont Empress Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Not sure why I had to pay $30/night for parking when I'm staying at their hotel but that was annoying. Also didn't appreciate that real fur items are being sold in their stores (in this day and age with what we know about the cruelty involved in fur coats?). The room was ok but nothing special and for that price, you would expect something special!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (904)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Port Moody, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

The Empress is a grand looking old property, and has great service. But it is an old, sprawling property. Can be awkward to get around. Has no air conditioning. Recently stayed on an evening in May where outside temperature was about 24 degrees Celsius. Had the ceiling fan going full blast and windows open - very warm in the room.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank highflier2014
FairmontEmpress1908, General Manager at The Fairmont Empress, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest from Port Moody,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not as memorable as we would like and that your found your room too warm despite the ceiling fan being on. We strive to provide the best experience and customer service that guests have come to expect of Fairmont Hotels. We are aways happy to move you into a room that is more comfortable. Please do not hestitate to ask in the future. I was happy to read that you enjoyed the grandness of the property as well as the service that The Fairmont Empress is so well known for. We look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you to Victoria again.

Winnipeg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Wonderful stay. A bit pricey. Make sure to sign up for the President's Club with the hotel as to not be charged $15.82 for internet use (for every 24 hours).
I would stay again:) Pool and hot tub were very nice as well.

Dear Valued Guest from Winnipeg,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I am happy to read that you signed up to become a member of our complimentary Fairmont President's Club which will give you complimentary internet access on your visits, as well as enable you to input preferences for your future stays. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

The Fairmont Empress is an impressive old establishment in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. It is ideally located by the bay and within walking distance to a lot of other attractions that Victoria has to offer such as government/parliament building, easy walkabouts, bicycling around town, enjoying diverse ethnic restaurants or simply enjoying urban multicultural mileau that Victoria is famous for. The room I had while I was there was adequate and acceptable but my colleagues complained that there were a few things that did not work in their room such as telephone, coffee maker and television. The coffee maker in my room didn't work either. So I resorted to boiling hot water using the electric kettle. However, the instant coffee was not replenished for the next two nights of my stay. I think for a hotel of this class, attention to details like this is paramount. And I have to wait for my morning coffee until I ventured into the restaurant downstairs. The pillows and the bed were very comfortable and clean as the bathroom towels. Shower has good heated water and jetted out enough pressure to wake me up in the morning.but the wall seems a bit thin as I could hear noises from the street below.
The bar in the hotel (downstairs) offered an atmosphere typical of 5 stars hotels in big cities with a mixed of people dressing to the hilt and while some appeared like typical "rednecks" . The waitresses were very attentive. I must say my experience during checking out was not as I would expected. I was quizzed if I used my iphone and/or internet during my stay which required additional charges. I felt this check-out lady was interrogating me and made the situation somewhat uncomfortable. I felt a hint of her not trusting my responses but other service providers I encountered with were all great and respectful.

1 Thank AnakKelantan
FairmontEmpress1908, General Manager at The Fairmont Empress, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor of your recent stay with us. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our wonderful location by the inner harbour and were able to enjoy many of the attractions that Victoria is known for. I was disappointed to read that your colleagues had some challenges with their rooms, as well as the coffee maker in your room not working. Please don't hesitate to contact someone if there is a problem in the future. We would be happy ensure that you have a replacement coffee maker so that you may enjoy coffee in your room should you so wish. I apologize for your check out experience and will follow up with our leadership team regarding your comments. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you to Victoria again.

Modesto, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Was able to mark off a couple on things on our bucket list. !. Staying at the Empress in Victoria, BC and 2. having High Tea at the Empress.
They were all wonderful. Staff, accommodations and amenities. Wonderful location had picked a wonderful time of year, flower, especially tulips were in wonderful bloom.
As an aside, if you are in, near, around 100 miles away of Butchart Gardens GO. VISIT, it is outstanding. We hit the tulip time and say million and I do mean millions of tulips in bloom. All sizes, shapes, colors. Unbelievable.........
Only problem I had, was at breakfast I ordered the cornbeef hash. I think I got the porkham hash. Question them but was told the package said cornbeef. Meat tasted like ham, it was smooth in texture not the stringyness ribbon texture of corn beef brisket. Since Canadian Bacon is more ham maybe Canadian corn beef is different too.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PapereFoster
Dear Valued Guest from Modesto,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that we were able to provide you with the service that The Fairmont Empress is so well known for. It is wonderful that you were able to enjoy our Afternoon Tea experience. During the summer, The Fairmont Empress serves afternoon tea to up to 1,000 people each day. The fine bone china used for the Empress tea is exclusively produced for the hotel by Royal Doulton and was first used during the royal visit of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth in 1939. I am pleased that you also enjoyed our beautiful gardens which are full of tulips in bloom at this time of year. I will definitely pass along your comments regarding the cornbeef hash to our Chef as feedback is very important to us. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.

Guilderland, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Debarking from the Victoria Clipper, we walked and saw this magnificent hotel come into view! It is truly spectacular to see its turn of the century architecture in full glory! We were immediately welcomed at check in, and had the opportunity of upgrading to the Fairmont Gold Experience for a small additional charge. We were so glad we did! The concierge level is on the second floor with a private, beautifully decorated room for relaxing; and the "Gold" guests are also served a delicious free buffet breakfast in the mornings. Later in the day, canapes and drinks are also available for the "Gold" guests.It is well worth the additional cost! The view of the inner harbour from the second floor rooms are amazing! Our room was perfect, and it had quite the Victorian charm to it!
If you stay here, indulge in the English tradition of taking "Afternoon Tea." The whole atmosphere of the room, the wait staff's grace at serving and the food itself is an outstanding experience! The tea, of course, is wonderful! We only spent one marvelous night here, but we hope to come back again soon!

Room Tip: Go for the Fairmont Gold Experience if you can!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MaryEllen22
Dear Valued Guest from High Point,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that we were able to provide you with the service that The Fairmont Empress is so well known for. I am happy to read that you had a wonderful experience staying on our Gold floor and that you were also able to enjoy our Afternoon Tea Experience. During the centennial restoration in 2008, the hotel's original Tea Lobby floor was replaced and the wood of the original floor was transformed into delicate Afternoon Tea tables. Nearly 100,000 guests are served tea annually with an estimated 500,000 cups of tea. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.

Winnipeg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We hosted our wedding at The Fairmont Empress with 70 guests, then stayed for another week to have our honeymoon in Victoria.

I cannot say enough great things of this hotel.

By far the best hotel experience I have had with any hotel, let lone a Fairmont. The staff is all extremely personable, very professinal and courteous, and will do all they can to accommodate you. The rooms are lovely, great linens, great amenities. The food & beverage was wonderful. I am gluten-free and they accommodated this in the best manner I have seen yet. The restaurants all had great selections. The bar was well served. The room service was quick. The banquet staff was lovely. The location was ideal.

I honestly do not have a poor thing to say about this venue. Absolutely worth the price and I will return again and again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest from Winnipeg,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor regarding your recent wedding which you hosted here at The Fairmont Empress. First and foremost, congratulations! I am so pleased to read that we were able to provide you with the service that The Fairmont Empress is so well known for. I am very happy that we were able to accomodate your gluten free needs as well with an assortment of great selections. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review and share your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress again soon.