“Excellent!”

GreenLeadersGold level
san francisco
“Excellent!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I had a hard time sifting through the previous reviews of the Empress. I have been to Victoria before, but hadn't stayed here. I can see why the reviews are confusing. I think there are probably many bad rooms at the Empress. However, I stayed in the Gold section, and as others mentioned, the rooms are very nice. I booked a Junior Suite on the Gold level, and was upgraded to a one bedroom suite. It was gorgeous! The view was straight on to the harbor with big (operable) picture windows from the sitting room, a small one from the bedroom. There was a fireplace, and a beautiful bathroom. The amenities were nice, service was fantastic (housekeeping, Gold concierge, and all throughout the hotel). Friends stayed in the Jr. Suite (also Gold floor); These are on the corners, and don't really have the promised harbor view, except through a small window; so these rooms were not as nice as I would have expected. My friends were a little disappointed. I did not see regular size rooms. I heard that the non-gold rooms haven't been renovated, so for me, I know I would have not liked them. The Gold level food service (breakfast, mid day tea, evening service) was pretty spectacular. Breakfast is full (not continental); tea is pretty extensive, and evening as well. Food is delicious and beautifully presented, there are espresso drinks, and you can pay for alcoholic beverages, which seemed fine.. Dealing only with the concierges (on Gold level) instead of the front desk was great. We took the hotel tour, and unfortunately, our tour guide was not great, so we really didn't get the history of the hotel, which clearly it has! We loved the vibe in the Bengal Room, had drinks there. The Spa was just ok, I cant really recommend it--super small, and not luxurious, but decent treatments-you can only go into the steam and sauna if you are having a treatment. I would definitely return here, if I could stay in the one bedroom suite on the gold level. It's beautiful, views are lovely, and the location can't be beat. You can walk everywhere. Unless they renovate the rooms, I am pretty sure I would not enjoy staying in a regular room.

Room Tip: The Gold Level is probably the best choice and worth the extra price, given what you get for it. Es...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
FairmontEmpress1908, General Manager at The Fairmont Empress, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest from San Francisco,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that we were able to provide you with the service that The Fairmont Empress is so well known for. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay on Fairmont Gold. I am very pleased that you found the staff from housekeeping to concierge to other areas in the hotel so welcoming and able to assist you throughout your stay. The need for refurbishing some of our guestrooms is certainly an area we are discussing as we plan for future renovations. Your comments are helpful to us in this regard, and allow us to confirm that we are investing in improvements that are most important to our valued guests. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.

Don Fennerty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (932)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cleveland, Mississippi
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is beautiful, and the customer service is impeccable. Clean rooms that are beautifully decorated, and the location is in the heart of Victoria. What more could you ask for? We got upgraded to a wharf view room, and it was worth the extra. We also had a toilet issue around 10pm, and it was serviced very quickly and fixed with no problems.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
FairmontEmpress1908, General Manager at The Fairmont Empress, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest from Spokane,

Thank you for writing such a great review on TripAdvisor. We certainly appreciate all feedback and I am happy that we provided you with the service that The Fairmont Empress is so well known for. Our location is wonderful and within walking distance to so many of the great attractions in Victoria. I apologize for the toilet issue that you had but am happy to read that the issue was serviced and fixed quickly. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forwarding to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This Fairmont Hotel was by far the nicest of the Fairmonts we stayed in during our trip through Canada. The rooms are reasonably large and very clean. As for location - absolutely brilliant.
Don't expect to drink too much as the prices are ridiculous. A glass of wine is $16 - $18 and a beer is $12. However, the food in the restraunt is beautiful.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a harbour view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bryan035
FairmontEmpress1908, General Manager at The Fairmont Empress, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest from Brisbane,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review on TripAdvisor about your recent stay with us. It was wonderful to read that you enjoyed our room size and cleanliness and that you loved our location. I hope that you had time to enjoy a city tour of Victoria to see all that our beautiful city has to offer. Thank you again for writing this review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.

Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I guess it has the best location in Victoria. Close to the shore, to parks, to famous local food. Actually, visiting the "Empress" is part of the city tour. The food is wonderful and the price is good as well.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Dear Valued Guest from Quebec,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on TripAdvisor of your recent stay with us. I am happy to read that you enjoyed our food and hope that you had the chance to eat in The Bengal Lounge as well as the Empress Room and enjoy our Afternoon Tea Experience. I am also pleased to read that you enjoyed our wonderful location within walking distance to so many things in this beautiful city. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you out west again.

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed at the hotel Thursday and Friday night. It was a disaster. We had changed rooms three times before settling on a dirty, dusty room that had lipstick on the coffee cups, nice. The two prior rooms had room 421 electrical issues (left side of the room did not work) and room 404 had construction noise.

No air conditioning and the smell of food from the blowing fans outside of the room (291) kinda made me sick. Hot smelly room!!!

The breakfasts portions have appeared to be smaller (4 little raw potatoes) cold toast and poor service.

I used to love this hotel and have stayed many times previously, very sad for my experience this time, don't think we will be back.

Room Tip: Dirty rooms, keep trying to get a clean one.
2 Thank Brenda S
Dear Valued Guests from Winnipeg,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not as memorable as we would like. We strive to provide the best experience and customer service that guests have come to expect of Fairmont Hotels. I will personally be following up with our Executive Housekeeper regarding your comments about cleanliness of the room and coffee cups. I will also be following up with our Chief Engineer regarding the electrical issues, and our Executive Chef regarding the food portion size and temperature. These are all unacceptable. Thank you again for sharing the feedback. I would be happy to discuss your stay further should you wish as I would certainly hope to have the chance to welcome you back again in the future.

Renton
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Another great trip to Victoria and amazing stay at The Fairmont Empress. 7th year for a girls weekend trip. We always look forward to which room and what floor we'll be on. This year we were on the first floor....beautiful room, high ceilings one of our favorites. Each year we have tea, which you should do at least once in your life, or every year:) we return year after year to have tea because it is such a special time. Make sure to ask for Krista.....she will make sure to make your tea experience even better. All the staff is always accommodating from the time you arrive until when you leave. Thank you always, we will return again....and again. Also a special thanks to Nick in security!

Room Tip: The rooms on the first floor have high ceilings and corner rooms have more windows
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Valued Guest from Renton,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on TripAdvisor of your recent Girls Weekend. I am happy to read that you have enjoyed different rooms each year on your trip and that this year was no exception. I am also happy to read that you enjoyed our Afternoon Tea Experience. We have amazing staff her which makes the experience so fantastic. I am so pleased to hear that throughout your stay, we were able to provide you with the service that The Fairmont Empress is so well known for. We look forward to welcoming you back again next year for your Girls Weekend. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Staff who greater us was excellent. We didn't know we could web check in - this is something to keep in mind prior to travel. You can also check out using their television. We did this and were glad we did as the check out line was quite long. When checking in, we were not told about the rapid check out through the television.

The shops are a bit pricey but it is considered a higher end hotel. This was our second stay at this hotel. We booked it as the price through the airline was excellent. The hotel is very quiet. We did hear the occasional couple walking down the hall but we couldn't hear anyone below or beside us.

High tea is something to try, if you have never gone before. Beware it is A LOT of food they serve, and you will want to book when you book the room or soon after to get the time you want during your trip.

The hotel is conveniently located. My husband and I walked everywhere from the hotel. It is also close to car rental agencies - if you want to rent a car. The museum is across the street and the Robert Batman Centre is very close. It is on the harbour front.

Bed was super comfortable. We were on the 6th floor in the older section of the hotel - so it was at the top - no one above us. In the other part of the hotel, are the upgraded rooms for the 7th and 8th floor. You need a separate elevator to go to those floors. Our friends stayed in one with a harbour view. I feel ours was a better room but mostly because we love to sleep on a king bed. Plus we don't spend a lot of time in a hotel room so the view was not needed.

No issues with water pressure or getting hot water for a good shower.

Only negative - and not really one unless you really need to stay connect - the WiFi cost money. However, Shaw Free WiFi is all over downtown Victoria - so those who have Shaw as an internet provider need to be concerned.

Room Tip: Habour view if you want to spend time in your room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest from Edmonton,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that we were able to provide you with the service that The Fairmont Empress is so well known for. It is wonderful to hear that you were welcomed warmly upon your arrival and our staff was able to assist you throughout your stay. I am happy that you were able to enjoy our Afternoon Tea experience and that you enjoyed our wonderful location. There are so many things to see and do within a short walking distance from the hotel. I hope you had the opportunity to enjoy a city tour of Victoria and see all that our city has to offer. Thank you also for your feedback regarding the internet which is provided complimentary to our Fairmont President's Club members. This is a complimentary preference program which provides us the ability to add notes to your profile for future stays regarding pillow type, food preferences, room location etc. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.