“Such a disappointment”

GreenLeadersGold level
Trail
“Such a disappointment”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I had my secretary book this hotel as a special gift to my colleague from Toronto - what a bust! Rooms are small, staff let me down repeatedly and spa is expensive and not very good. Save yourself the disappointment and look around - Victoria is amazing; the Empress is not.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Sue B
FairmontEmpress1908, General Manager at The Fairmont Empress, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest from Trail,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not as memorable as we would like. We strive to provide the best experience and customer service that guests have come to expect of Fairmont Hotels. I will personally be following up with our teams regarding your comments. Thank you again for sharing the feedback. I would be happy to discuss your stay further should wish.

Don Fennerty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (963)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Millbrae, California
Reviewed 25 June 2014

When you stay here, you are staying back in time. Rooms are small, bathroom is cramped, but it is such a lovely area to view the harbor and people watch from your room. Don't go there expecting a "hotel chain" experience. Also, if you have the money, do the afternoon tea. That might have been one of the best high teas I have ever had! Just really expensive.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the harbor side simply for a spectacular view of everything.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest from Millbrae,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor of your recent stay with us. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your room. We have 123 different room configurations in The Fairmont Empress. I am also happy that you were able to enjoy our Afternoon Tea Experience. We serve over 100,000 people annually and 500,000 cups of tea. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress one day soon.

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This hotel and it's location are a movie set. The hotel is a gigantic, ivy covered, brick building set at the foot of the inner harbor in Victoria, B.C. It is surrounded by beautifully tended gardens and walking distance convenient to the center of this bustling city. Public transportation and tour busses stop right in front. No car necessary here.

The staff are obvious experts and know how to provide friendly, superb service without being obsequious or snooty. Of course, we sampled the afternoon tea which is an experience in itself. I even drank the tea because I thought it would be a sacrilege to ask for coffee. The hotel restaurants are among the best in town although we only ate there once since we wanted to sample the rest of the city. An end of day scotch at the hotel's Bengal Lounge was perfect.

We arrived by passenger ferry from Seattle and found it an easy walk to the hotel towing our wheeled luggage. Once there, we dismissed the notion of a taxi to get around. The central district is compact and easy to walk.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone. We were there three days and could have easily made it much longer.

Room Tip: An upgrade to a room with a view to the harbor is pricey but may be worth it to some.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest from Beaverdam,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that we were able to provide you with the service that The Fairmont Empress is so well known for. I am also happy to read that you enjoyed our wonderful gardens. Our team of gardeners work extremely hard to make them look as beautiful as they do. I hope you had the opportunity to enjoy a city tour of Victoria and see all that our city has to offer. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We recently stayed at the Lovely Fairmont Empress and also had the afternoon tea experience! The hotel reigns above the harbor and is just beautiful upon arriving. The staff are very accommodating. Well worth the trip!

Room Tip: we had a corner room, which had a little more space. Room 328
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest from Louisville,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that we were able to provide you with the service that The Fairmont Empress is so well known for. I am glad that you were able to enjoy our wonderful Afternoon Tea experience where nearly 100,000 guests are served tea annually with an estimated 500,000 cups of tea. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.

Vancouver, British Columbia
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The hotel is at a great location, with fantastic view of the harbor, garden, and it's very close to the Royal Museum, Conference Centre, City Center, etc. HOtel staff were all friendly and attentive. Hotel seems to be a bit dated though I think is due for an update soon. I had to use the power outlet in the bathroom to charge my electronic devices is a bit annoying..

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

3 Thank J S
FairmontEmpress1908, General Manager at The Fairmont Empress, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest from Vancouver,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on TripAdvisor of your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that we were able to provide you with the service that The Fairmont Empress is so well known for. Our location is wonderful and within walking distance to so many different venues and attractions in our beautiful city. With the support of our owners, we continue to address and improve upon our hotel product each year. The need for refurbishing our guestrooms is certainly an area we are discussing as we plan for future renovations. Your comments are helpful in this regard and allow us to confirm that we are investing in improvements that are most important to our valued guests. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We have just had a very wonderful time staying at this hotel. I have always wanted to stay here and was so thankful that a business opportunity came up for my husband and this was the host hotel. Our room was beautifully appointed, freshly painted and with lovely furniture. Not too big but large enough for the two of us. Very comfortable mattress and pillows. We had a window looking out onto the harbour. It's a very busy harbour - always something going on so lots of fun to watch. Very clean room with all the amenities you'd need. It's a very historic property so we enjoyed touring around the hotel. I have been here many times for tea as a child so didn't spend the money on tea this time but did enjoy a nice after dinner drink and snack in the Bengal Lounge. Also a pre dinner drink and charcuterie plate on the Veranda one evening which was fabulous. The staff were warm and friendly. We were greeted warmly by Brian when we arrived by car. Check in was brisk and efficient but again friendly. We had the opportunity to have 2 meals prepared in the convention area and both were delicious, exceeded our expectations. Everything over exceeded my expectations and I was delighted from the time I checked in to the time I checked out! I would stay here again in an instant.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor with a view of the harbour
Dear Valued Guest from Toronto,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on TripAdvisor of your recent stay with us. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your room as well as the view of the inner harbour. The harbour is always such a fun bustle of activity and our location is so great as it is within walking distance to so many venues and attractions. I am glad you were able to experience the Bengal Lounge as well as the Veranda with its spectacular view. It is wonderful to hear that you were welcomed warmly upon your arrival by Brian, and that our staff was able to assist you throughout your stay. Thank you again for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.

Canada
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The Empress is over-rated. The hotel is overpriced for what you get, and the restaurants are outrageously expensive for the quality of food. They seem to be relying on a past reputation and I found the staff quite snooty-especially the reception and the wait-staff. However, I must say that they have to deal with bus-loads of really obnoxious tourists all of the time, and so they probably are really tired of having to do that.

I know I was pretty much turned off by the tourists themselves- rude, pushy, loud. So I don't blame the staff for not acting as staff do in a smaller, less popular and busy hotel.

I switched to another hotel after one night- much nicer, about the same cost, plus just as close to downtown and the harbour.

The Empress is nice to walk through if one has never been to Victoria before-it's a beautiful building, and if you want to "play tourist" you can have their afternoon British Tea. But there are a myriad of nicer places to stay in Victoria.

My parents and I stayed at the Empress in the late 80s for their Christmas package, which was very nice if you like that sort of thing- carollers, huge Christmas dinner with middle ages/renaissance reinactors - a good show. But then again quite touristy. I would never do it again, but it was nice for my parents who have different tastes from me.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank traveling-family-o-4
Dear Valued Guest from California,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not as memorable as we would like. We strive to provide the best experience and customer service that guests have come to expect of Fairmont Hotels. I was concerned to read that you found the staff "quite snooty". This is unacceptable and I shall be speaking with our Leadership team about this. Thank you again for sharing the feedback. I would be happy to discuss your stay further should you wish.