This hotel is in a stunning location, right on the waters edge in Victoria. Having arrived by seaplane it was a short walk up from the inner harbour to the hotel. we had pre booked a deluxe room and after a good experience at reception, we were disappointed to reach our room, it was badly lit, with very dirty windows and overall a little depressing. I retuned to reception and Alex the receptionist did do all he could to help us move rooms. this did however cost me a further CAD£50 a night to move from the first to 5th floor, with a small window overlooking the harbour. The room though was much brighter and lighter. We had lunch and dinner several times during our stay at the Verandah restaurant. This is a fantastic restaurant to watch the sun going town with a good selection of food and wines. The most outstanding feature by far though is the staff who looked after us in the restaurant, Adrian, Martina and Madeleine were first class on every occasion we visited and certainly improved my overall rating from 3 to 4 for our stay. The pool is well worth a visit too.
If there is one area to improve upon, its the organisation of the breakfast room. I stay in hotels at least once a week on business and haven't experienced such disorganisation before. On both mornings the booking in of guests was slow often with 10-15 people queuing down the corridor for up to 10-15 minted waiting to be seated. On both occasions i counted up to 8 tables fully made and ready to be used which just added to waiting guests frustration, however there seems to be a blockage at the restaurant check in desk. Clearly there will always be pressure at times given the limited number of tables vs hotel guests, however it certainly was an issue whenever we walked past over the breakfast period.
If you visit Victoria, you won't find a better location for a hotel. Despite a few issues, the service from the staff made up for it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Fairmont Empress sits majestically at the cornerstone of Victoria's sparkling Inner Harbour. This landmark hotel features turn of the century architecture, classic beauty and an unrivaled location on the water. It features the highly acclaimed Willow Stream Spa regarded as one of the best spas in Canada. Food lovers can sample the English ritual of Afternoon Tea, savour the famous curry buffet in The Bengal Lounge or sample award-winning food and wine in The Empress Room. The Fairmont Empress offers wireless internet access in all guestrooms, and it is complimentary for our Fairmont President's Club members, free to join. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Booking.com, Priceline, Fairmont Hotels, TripOnline SA, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Fairmont Empress reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Fairmont Empress Hotel Victoria
- Fairmont Hotel Victoria
- Fairmont Hotel Empress
- Empress Hotel Victoria
- Fairmont Victoria
- Victoria Fairmont
- Fairmont Empress Hotel
- The Fairmont Empress Victoria, Vancouver Island