“Fairmont Empress”

The Fairmont Empress
Ranked #20 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The Empress is a beautiful Edwardian hotel, overlooking the harbour in Victoria. The rooms are well presented and the beds are very comfortable. Besides the stunning decor, convenient location (next door to all the main shops and services,) the quality that most shines through for this grand chateau is the service. The staff are friendly, courteous and very helpful. They hold an impressive amount of knowledge of the city and its attractions. My review may sound a bit idealistic, but the experience, for me, was excellent. There were other frustrations, the local transit system being one of them, but the Empress lives up to expectations and leads the way in terms of service.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

My mom used to take me to high tea here when I was a little girl. In the past few years I have had the pleasure to stay here and have high tea. It's a little pricy (over $50) but the service and quality and overall atmosphere is second to none. Anytime you have the opportunity to experience high tea or stay at the Empress, I would highly recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Marriedahoosier
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Location and service are outstanding. Our room was nice, but overlooked the service area and, at times, noise of deliveries was loud. Beds were comfortable. No AC, so windows were open. In contrast to some reviewers, we didn't notice worn upholstery or mustiness (it was summer). Watch out for free features in package deals that are "overlooked" in the computer billing program--$15/day WiFi charge, for example. I would have been happy at a less expensive hotel and visited a few while we were there, not too far off the Causeway, on Pandora St. All in all, when in Victoria, be prepared to empty your wallet. A lovely city, but expensive.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JWRAustin_TX
FairmontEmpress1908, General Manager at The Fairmont Empress, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Valued Guest from Austin,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that we were able to provide you with the service that The Fairmont Empress is so well known for, and that you enjoyed our central location within walking distance to so many venues. It is wonderful to hear that you were welcomed warmly upon your arrival and our staff was able to assist you throughout your stay. I am sorry that you encountered noise in your room due to its location. Regarding air condtioning, we are actively looking for ways to retrofit our century old building. I am pleased to say that I feel we are making very good progress in this regard, and I am very optimistic that one day soon, we will be able to better control the temperature in our rooms during these hot days. We are also working with our new owners on room renovations to be started in the not too distant future. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to beautiful Victoria again.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

The Empress sits directly on the harbor in the middle of everything you might want to do in Victoria. It is an easy walk from the ferry station. It is an impressive structure that dates back to the reign of Queen Victoria, among whose titles was Empress of India, hence the name. The hotel has been a mandatory stop for royals visiting Victoria.
For those of us who won't be as ascending to the throne anytime soon, the place is overpriced. It is lovely and well kept, historical and interesting, but everything about it is pricey. Don't plan to dine there unless you're willing to pay a great deal for well prepared but unremarkable food.
The hotel is not air conditioned. Windows do open and there are ceiling fans. Evenings are cool even in summer so it isn't an issue unless AC is something you can't live without.
There is a tour of the hotel which is very interesting but you pay extra for it. It costs $11 and if you are staying there you have already seen most of the rooms shown on the tour. The tour is open to the public.
Despite the price , I am glad we stayed there. We unknowingly booked our stay for the night of Symphony Splash, and we had the best seats in the house. The hotel has tons of history and is a must see in Victoria.

Stayed: August 2014

Dear Valued Guest from Lancaster,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor of your recent stay with us. I am happy to read that you enjoyed our wonderful location within walking distance to so many venues. Regarding the need for air conditioning, we are actively looking for ways to retrofit our century old building. I am pleased to say that I feel we are making very good progress in this regard, and I am very optimistic that one day soon, we will be able to better control the temperature in our rooms during these warm days. Symphony Splash is a wonderful event enjoyed by many, many Victoria locals as well as visitors. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to our historic Castle on the Coast one day soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Service and location are excellent but the room has no AC and the hallways smelled very old and musty - not exaggeration. Afternoon tea was great even with toddlers.
We stayed at 5 other hotels on this trip and found better rooms for 1/2 the price elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Dear Valued Guest from Calgary,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor of your recent stay with us. I am happy to read that we were able to provide you with the service that The Fairmont Empress is so well known for. I am also pleased to read that you were able to enjoy our Afternoon Tea experience and hope that your toddlers were able to enjoy our Prince and Princess Tea. With the support of our new owners we are continuing to address and improve upon our hotel product. The need for refurbishing our guestrooms and public areas is certainly an area we are discussing as we plan for future renovations. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back again one day soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Just an overnight stay after some years absence, but the Empress still is a quality hotel. Attentive staff as we came early in the morning but the porter took care of our hand luggage until later that afternoon. Large spacious room although bathroom is a bit tight (Mezzanine level) with good decor.

Room Tip: Ask for harbor view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2014

"You only have one chance to make a first impression." Unfortunately, my first impression of the Fairmont Empress was the 60 minute wait I experienced waiting for my room to be ready. I arrived around 4:20 in the afternoon, and was told it would be a while until my room was ready. I am a Fairmont President's Club member, and was surprised to hear this, as I don't think I've ever had to wait for a room before. I asked what time check-in was, and was told 4:00. After waiting the hour, I was given my room key. I had a harbor view room, which really wasn't worth the extra money. I knew in advance that there was no air conditioning in the hotel. What I didn't know was that the window only opened about 6 inches, and did not have a screen. There were a table and chairs situated in front of the window, making it difficult to enjoy the view. The window had multiple bird droppings on it, also making the view unpleasant. I realize this is an historic hotel, but I don't know that it lives up to its reputation. The room was pleasant enough, but the bathroom was quite small. On checkout, I was offered a complimentary breakfast, which I accepted. The follow up after completing the survey which was emailed to me was also excellent. Although my experiences would probably cause me to choose another hotel if I were to visit Victoria again, the hotel staff did try to make up for my negative experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank lirwin13

Dear Valued Guest from Beverly,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not as memorable as we would like. We strive to provide the best experience and customer service that guests have come to expect of Fairmont Hotels. I sincerely apologize that your room was not ready until long after the check in time of 4:00 pm which has taken away from your first impression of the Fairmont Empress. The need for refurbishing our guestrooms is certainly an area we are discussing as we plan for future renovations. Your comments are helpful to us in this regard, and allow us to confirm that we are investing in improvements that are most important to our valued guests. My sincere apologies that the state of your guestroom took away from your overall experience. Thank you again for sharing your feedback. I would be happy to discuss your stay further should wish.