“Nice Modern Option in Victoria”

Delta Hotels by Marriott Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort
Ranked #8 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Vancouver
“Nice Modern Option in Victoria”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I'll start by saying that we usually stay at Laurel Point, as we are not antiques or doily people and finding accommodation in Victoria that is not, well...Victorian, can be a tad challenging. We zipped over from Vancouver on short notice on a Saturday afternoon, and our usual options were booked. So we gave Ocean Pointe a try. Managed to get one of the last harbour view rooms (okay...partial harbour view) and were pleasantly surprised. Rooms are renovated with modern furnishings, including built-ins in light toned wood, topped with light quartz for bath counters, bedside tables and desk. Overall quite well done. I work in design and am a bit fussier than most when it comes to interior details. I will say that the duvets (in crisp hotel white) are quite lumpy...it looks like there may be cats hiding under there (there weren't), but other than the aesthetic issue, the one in our room was perfectly comfortable, as was the bed. Good lighting options, with bedside lamps you could actually reach the switch for and additional reading light built in to the bed. Top marks to Jon at the front desk - his service was on par with what we've received at the Fairmont Pacific Rim...excellent. We took the shuttle to meet family for dinner and the shuttle driver was also top notch, taking 10 passengers to various dinner destinations in an extremely friendly and efficient manner. I admit I was surprised to get this level of service at a Delta. One feature I made note of was that wi-fi was included and didn't require a password to access (I'm talking to you Fairmont). Road access was easy, as was parking - so whatever the issue was there during construction is gone. We didn't try to access the hotel from the little driveway immediately coming off the bridge - can see that would be a bit stressful in heavy traffic, but instead followed our map app and took the left at the next light. An easy little drive down the street from there - although I will say that the signage from the rear of the property is lame...too small and underlit - but that's more of a design criticism than a directional one...obviously we still found the hotel. But I do expect a "resort and spa" to have more of a statement sign when entering. Overall I think it's a really decent option.

Room Tip: For harbour view rooms, try to get something with a number lower than about 30 (example 430) as abov...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
DeltaVictoria, Front Office Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback and for choosing us on your recent visit to Victoria. I was delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay and that our team took great care of you! I look forward to sharing your kind comments with Jon and the rest of the team! We are thrilled to read you really enjoyed our recently renovated rooms, and I'm happy to share that our exterior road signage is being upgraded to match our fabulous new look.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Warm regards,

Justin Foisy
Front Office Manager
Delta Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort and Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
  • Turkish first
Powell River, Canada
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This place is one of the best I have been in, and I have been in quite a few in Victoria. What struck my critical eye the most was how incredibly clean the room was. The bed linens were top quality and immaculate, the bed and pillows could not have been better quality. My "non-view" 7th floor room had an excellent harbor and downtown view with a very high end marble shower and a very well designed media desk with the most recent furnishings and lighting. Well managed hotel where the staff knew exactly what their responsibilities were and performed them seamlessly with accuracy and professionalism. I believe it would not be prudent to go elsewhere. Did I mention the bar/restaurant is very popular and has very good food, more specifically, the appy's.

Room Tip: Book early, if possible use Expedia, they took care of EVERYTHING. If they are booked use Trip Advis...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Great location for a weekend away. New renovations are beautiiful and what a nice way to spend a weekend in Victoria. Rooms overlooking the harbour are a bonus, but all the rooms are very nice. A short walk ito the inner harbour our if you wish you can take a $5 water taxi to a number of locations in the inner harbour.

Room Tip: Try and get a room overlooking the harbour to watch the float planes land, kayakers and the numerous...
stamford, ct
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed here just one night, but we had a fabulous stay. This place has just undergone a major renovation, and although I never saw it before the renovation, boy did they do a fabulous
Job! It is a modern hotel through and through, so if you craveVictorian furnishings and doilies, this place is not for you. But if you love a hotel set on a point, overlooking the inner harbor with spectacular views of the sea planes and water taxis, as well as Parliament, but with modern style and high end design, finishes and fabrics, this is your place-- it was my favorite hotel for this trip! The room was beautiful and comfortable-- a good nights sleep was achieved. The public areas were luxurious and sleek. The spa was wonderful. The restaurant Lure, had delicious food, and had a very vibrant atmosphere. The staff was delightful. All in all, this was a stellar choice!

Room Tip: Opt for a club room and enjoy hors d' oeuvres in the evening and breakfast in the morning.
Fort Langley, Canada
Reviewed 10 June 2014

It is a nice building. It is under renovation so, it is getting even nicer. The furnishings and decor are five star. But the service and some of the odd stuff are just... well, crazy. We had such a great time in the VERY small lounge (probably ad hoc due to the renovation) because the server was great: casual, friendly but very attentive. As if he were a pal taking care of a pal. Very nice.

The problems have to do with the physical plant and the rest of the staff. There were three people I met at the front desk during our stay and all three were rude and didn't seem to give a damn about us. We had a number of people in wheelchairs.

The crappy experience really starts with the incredible layout of the driveways that make it very hard to find how to get to the front of the place. Almost no signage. Even the largest sign is not visible from a large part of the street. Coming to the hotel from the city is dangerous; at least one of us turned onto a walking path. When we mentioned these things to the two young ladies behind the counter, they just stared at us then asked if we had a reservation. They refused to discuss the signage. There was no clear sign to the parking garage, which was also hard to find. The directions we were given included a wave of the hand and a vague gesture. We were a large group and had about a couple dozen vehicles in our party. Everyone made the same comments about the rude staff and the crazy layout.

The ladies serving breakfast were fantastic and the breakfast was very good, even though, again, it seemed to be in an ad hoc room for the renovations.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the harbour and the Empress. The view is spectacular at night.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
DeltaVictoria, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Mitchell K
Thank you for your positive comments and suggestions. I see that you stayed with us in March. Since then, the hotel has been completely transformed. We have a beautiful new lobby and fantastic LURE Restaurant and Bar. The City of Victoria has now completed the new driveway with extensive cross walk signs and stop signs to ensure the safe flow of traffic. With our renovations now complete, the views of the Victoria Harbour are a spectacular setting. I am sorry that you didn't have a positive impression of the team during your last visit. That definitely is not our standard. I know that Karen, Mayumi, Kyra, Mark, Rachel, Justin, Preston and the rest of the team on the front desk would love to welcome you back soon!
victoria, bc
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My mother and I recently booked two pedicures. The lady at the front desk and two women doing the pedicure were very polite and friendly; however, the quality of the pedicure was mediocre. Had we paid $30-40 each for a pedicure in a mall I probably wouldn't have thought anything of it and just not gone back, but at ~$60/each we defintely expected more. I noticed that my mother was wincing from pain at one point during the pedicure and the lady didn't notice. By the time we got home, our feet no longer felt soft like they normally do after our pedicures and by the next day my feet were as dry as they had been before the pedicure if not more so if that's possible. They did a wonderful job on the polish but I cannot say the same for the rest of the pedicure. I had much higher expectations. As a regular diner at LURE I can say that the restaurant is a amazing, beautiful scenary, wonderful and attentive service and the food is delicious and the service at the spa was equally good I just wish I could say the same for the quality of the pedicure.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank happysosnappy
DeltaVictoria, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I am sorry your spa visit was less than amazing. Thank you for your feedback so we may follow up accordingly.
Please contact our Spa Manager at sharon.puglia@deltahotels.com so we may have the opportunity to regain your confidence in us
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Great hotel. Rooms are spacious and well appointed. We had fabulous views overlooking the harbour. Water taxi stops all around the harbour. Very modern and scrupulously clean. Bathroom was spacious, with both my husband and I able to get ready at the same time without getting in each other's way. Loved the clock radio, looking for one the same back home. Nice breakfast in room, but didn't eat any other meals there. Quiet and relaxing

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple