“Poor customer service” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
Vancouver, Canada
“Poor customer service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

I stayed in room #834 for 4 nights on a business trip. The hotel seems a bit older, and the decor, while not my personal style, was decent enough. My room had two queen beds, a small work station, small balcony with two chairs and a bathroom with tub/shower combo.
The location is good, you can walk to shopping, dining, sightseeing etc. And the view of the harbour is gorgeous. If you like to walk/run around the seawall it's right across the street.
Because I was working, the wifi was important to me. I couldn't get it to work on the first night, and despite calling the front desk and getting directed to some sort of IT dept, I couldn't get it to work the entire trip. I would continuously go in and out of "connection". Eventually this got so annoying (if you're working with a secure work portal it will log you out every time the internet connection is lost, thus interrupting my work) so I just plugged straight into the ethernet from the wall. Not so bad I guess, but I hate being tied to the desk when I can sit somewhere else in the room more comfortable.
I had the same problem with my bathtub/shower that other reviewers reported. The tub drained incredibly slow, so I was calf-deep in water every time I showed. Pretty disgusting. I told the front desk but nothing ever got done about it.
Upon my arrival I was given a 15% off voucher for dining. I ordered room service one night, and the discount wasn't applied. I talked to the front desk about it on the day before checkout. I was assured it would be reviewed and applied, and that I would have record of it upon check out the following day. This never happened, and when I checked out the front desk clerk said nothing had been applied and she wasn't sure what to do. She told me it would take them awhile to sort it out. I was running late to catch the ferry so didn't have time to wait around for them to get it taken care of. I left irritated that she would talk to me like it was my fault I was trying to get this taken care of at checkout, when in fact I had addressed it the day before and it was the hotel that fell short of it's promise to resolve the issue and get back to me before I left.
The gym was good, lots of space and equipment, and I never had to wait to use any machines. I took a buns/abs class one day and it was a nice change from my usual workout.
Overall, a decent/average hotel but I wouldn't stay here again if I was in Victoria.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Caribbean_Zingara
elrosesk, General Manager at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments about our location on the Inner Harbour and our Athletic Club.

Regarding your internet connection, our Systems Manager checked the internet signal in you guestroom and it was reported as being strong. However, you make a good point about secure portals and wireless internet. Wireless connections can be unreliable with business applications which is why we have a plug-in (fibre optic high speed) option for $9.95 per day and wireless being complimentary. This option also provides more bandwidth for watching videos as well.

I am sorry about the Front Desk not reporting the plugged drain in your bath tub. We are usually very diligent about recording all guest requests but there was no entry in our log book. Again, my apologies.

Lastly, I apologize for not applying your discount for your In-Room dining meal. We are going to review how these discounts are handled in the future as requiring the guest to produce the discount voucher is problematic.

Please contact me directly at 1-800-663-7550 should you change your mind and give us another opportunity to accommodate you. I will see that you are looked after.

Thank you for your feedback and your patronage.

Kind regards,

Reid James

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (637)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
port hadlock
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

This is the perfect hotel right across from the ferry dock. It is a wonderful place with great, professional service.
You can walk anywhere downtown from the hotel.
We were upgraded to a suite with a partial view of the harbor. It is an older hotel, hence the bathrooms are tight.

2 Thank Hadlock
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

Spent one night at this amazing hotel whilst on holiday in Canada. Had a wonderfully comfortable room overlooking the harbour area. Dined in the main Restaurant that evening and experienced first class service and a delicious meal. This was the only hotel I stayed in during my month long trip but if all hotels in Canada are like this then I wish I had stayed in some more.

Room Tip: Pay extra to get harbour view room.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

We have stayed in many hotels over the years and this was by far the best experience we have had. Our dog was welcomed, the room was clean and bright and the staff were exceptional. The location was perfect and even though I know the hotel has no control over the weather, it was great as well!

Room Tip: The Victoria suite was quiet and faced Quebec street
1 Thank Liz K
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

Several months ago we attended a fundraiser for our local Habitat for Humanity and bid on a two night stay at this lovely hotel in Victoria, BC. We were impressed that a Canadian hotel was generous enough to "gift" this stay to US non-profit. We arrived to find a beautiful hotel in a great location, everything just steps from the hotel...restaurants, great views, shopping, and easy walking distance to museums. We also were surprised to find that we were upgraded to a "suite", when my only request upon making our reservation was a king bed. Our room was spotless, our promised king bed comfortable. We were on the 4th floor with a pretty residential view and balcony. The entire hotel staff were friendly and gracious. Although we didn't use the facilities, the gym and pool looked very nice. This hotel had nice amenities such as terry robes, slippers, in room safe, small fridge & wonderful soaps/shampoos. Thanks to the staff for a great stay, we will come again!

Mountain View, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

wow, what can i say? we were upgraded to a 1000SQ FT room with three balconies, two bathrooms, and the service was amazing. we even got referred to the spa at another hotel because they could not meet our needs, thats customer service! dinner & bar service and food top notch! i can't wait to come back, it was FIVE STARS in every way.

Room Tip: we had a room on the 10th floor, 3 balconies, GREAT view of the harbor and the legislative building...
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

This hotel looks out directly at the harbour, is an easy walk anywhere around the city centre of Victoria and is simply the best of bargains. The rooms are spacious and well appointed, the staff are terrific, the pool and spa are a bonus, the restaurants terrific. And best of all the prices are very attractive. Hard to believe really. The design is attractive and the circular driveway imposing and inviting. Don't stay here if you're not interested in watching the comings and goings of float planes, ferries, small craft, people strolling, and horse drawn carriages passing by daily.

Room Tip: Waterfront view for sure!