“Pleasant two nights for work”

Hotel Grand Pacific
Ranked #13 of 46 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Came to Victoria for a work convention. The location of the hotel is great, the rooms were clean and comfortable and the view was lovely.

I didn't really use the services in the hotel, but the restaurant looked good and the options for bicycle use was convenient (though I'm not sure if there was a cost involved).

Only minor complaint is that the free wifi is slow. There is an option to add wired high speed internet for $9.99 a day, but the amount I would be using the computer was not enough to warrant that charge. It would have been nice if the wifi was just a little better. All that being said, I could use the computer and my ipad to check e-mail / facebook etc. easy enough and it sure beats other hotels I've stayed at that only offer free internet in the lobby.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,193)

Reviewed 15 October 2013

This hotel is pretty much standard business accommodations. Free standard wifi in the room, which I appreciate, desk, pretty standard decor etc. (perhaps a bit dated...)

The hotel is right at the start and finish line of the Victoria Marathon (which is why we stayed there). They made it clear to those not there for the marathon that there would be street closures, etc. For those there for the marathon it couldn't be more convenient. Service we good and friendly. Concierge provided good recommendations for food.

I think there are more interesting places to stay in Victoria (the Swan?) but for our purposes this weekend of the race it worked perfectly. One block to the starting line and 2 blocks to the Victoria Clipper terminal.

We had a package deal including the ferry and it seemed like a good value.

Only real negative... some hair in the bathtub that was clearly not mine...

Room Tip: Some double rooms have double beds, others have queens. If it matters, ask!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank mdande
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We recently stayed here for 5 nights. The hotel is located right across from the busy harbour and is very close to all the major attractions. We had a corner suite with a view overlooking the harbour. We felt welcome as soon as we walked into the hotel. John, the doorman greeted us with a big hello and welcome as did the entire front desk staff. Our room wasn't quite ready so we had our luggage stored while we strolled around the town. Victoria is a beautiful city and there is lots to do. A very definite British influence. All the amenities you need are in your room. We even had two balconies with chairs where we could sip a glass of wine before heading out to dinner. Everything was very clean and in good condition. The bathroom was spotless and very modern. It was easy walking distance to all the major highlights of Victoria and to lots of fabulous restaurants. We'd stay here again in a minute.

Room Tip: Try to get a view of the harbour. If you don't the view of the Parliament Buildings is nice as...
1  Thank Deborahjune
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I stayed in room #834 for 4 nights on a business trip. The hotel seems a bit older, and the decor, while not my personal style, was decent enough. My room had two queen beds, a small work station, small balcony with two chairs and a bathroom with tub/shower combo.
The location is good, you can walk to shopping, dining, sightseeing etc. And the view of the harbour is gorgeous. If you like to walk/run around the seawall it's right across the street.
Because I was working, the wifi was important to me. I couldn't get it to work on the first night, and despite calling the front desk and getting directed to some sort of IT dept, I couldn't get it to work the entire trip. I would continuously go in and out of "connection". Eventually this got so annoying (if you're working with a secure work portal it will log you out every time the internet connection is lost, thus interrupting my work) so I just plugged straight into the ethernet from the wall. Not so bad I guess, but I hate being tied to the desk when I can sit somewhere else in the room more comfortable.
I had the same problem with my bathtub/shower that other reviewers reported. The tub drained incredibly slow, so I was calf-deep in water every time I showed. Pretty disgusting. I told the front desk but nothing ever got done about it.
Upon my arrival I was given a 15% off voucher for dining. I ordered room service one night, and the discount wasn't applied. I talked to the front desk about it on the day before checkout. I was assured it would be reviewed and applied, and that I would have record of it upon check out the following day. This never happened, and when I checked out the front desk clerk said nothing had been applied and she wasn't sure what to do. She told me it would take them awhile to sort it out. I was running late to catch the ferry so didn't have time to wait around for them to get it taken care of. I left irritated that she would talk to me like it was my fault I was trying to get this taken care of at checkout, when in fact I had addressed it the day before and it was the hotel that fell short of it's promise to resolve the issue and get back to me before I left.
The gym was good, lots of space and equipment, and I never had to wait to use any machines. I took a buns/abs class one day and it was a nice change from my usual workout.
Overall, a decent/average hotel but I wouldn't stay here again if I was in Victoria.

1  Thank Caribbean_Zingara
elrosesk, General Manager at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments about our location on the Inner Harbour and our Athletic Club.

Regarding your internet connection, our Systems Manager checked the internet signal in you guestroom and it was reported as being strong. However, you make a good point about secure portals and wireless internet. Wireless connections can be unreliable with business applications which is why we have a plug-in (fibre optic high speed) option for $9.95 per day and wireless being complimentary. This option also provides more bandwidth for watching videos as well.

I am sorry about the Front Desk not reporting the plugged drain in your bath tub. We are usually very diligent about recording all guest requests but there was no entry in our log book. Again, my apologies.

Lastly, I apologize for not applying your discount for your In-Room dining meal. We are going to review how these discounts are handled in the future as requiring the guest to produce the discount voucher is problematic.

Please contact me directly at 1-800-663-7550 should you change your mind and give us another opportunity to accommodate you. I will see that you are looked after.

Thank you for your feedback and your patronage.

Kind regards,

Reid James

Reviewed 11 October 2013

This is the perfect hotel right across from the ferry dock. It is a wonderful place with great, professional service.
You can walk anywhere downtown from the hotel.
We were upgraded to a suite with a partial view of the harbor. It is an older hotel, hence the bathrooms are tight.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hadlock
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Spent one night at this amazing hotel whilst on holiday in Canada. Had a wonderfully comfortable room overlooking the harbour area. Dined in the main Restaurant that evening and experienced first class service and a delicious meal. This was the only hotel I stayed in during my month long trip but if all hotels in Canada are like this then I wish I had stayed in some more.

Room Tip: Pay extra to get harbour view room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We have stayed in many hotels over the years and this was by far the best experience we have had. Our dog was welcomed, the room was clean and bright and the staff were exceptional. The location was perfect and even though I know the hotel has no control over the weather, it was great as well!

Room Tip: The Victoria suite was quiet and faced Quebec street
1  Thank Liz K