“Very happy with suite.”

Hotel Grand Pacific
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We stayed for 3 nights and we were very impressed with the service and the room. We had a corner suite over looking the harbour and as others have said the beds were extremely comfortable.
The pool area is great. The best hot tub and pool that I have seen for a hotel facility.
The staff are great there. We needed assistance on 2 occasions and the maintenance man arrived within minutes of our call. Very courteous and friendly.
The doorman John was very helpful with suggestions as to things to do.
Had breakfast and a few room service items and all the food we had there was very good.
They are remodeling many rooms on one wing and I am looking forward to possibly returning to have a view from one of these rooms. I have stayed at the Laurel before and choose this because of the seniors special and am not disappointed.
The only complaint is that the TV in the bedroom area cannot be viewed well when laying in bed because of the placement.
All in all a great little getaway. Must watch the ducks and the duck man at 9 AM for anyone with kids. Had a great charge out of watching the ducks follow the duck man.

Room Tip: Corner suites in Pacific wing are overlooking the water and street.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,149)

Reviewed 26 January 2014

We received good service at check in. The room was clean. They accepted our pet (a bit pricey at 50) and gave her a doggie bed and some treats. The location is super for walking to all things downtown Victoria. There was a Juliette balcony for nice fresh air. The salt water pool, fitness club sauna and steam room were great.
Beds were hard, pillows were cement like. Could have done without plastic dog bone cookie cutter and can lid included in the pet package. Would have been cool to see this "green" hotel use pump soaps etc. instead of small plastic throw aways. Curiously, there was alot of duct tape use on the carpets on the fifth floor.
Breakfast buffet was the usual egg and meat affair. I ordered poached eggs and they offered to substitute the potatoes with a fruit plate...nice! Turned out to be tasteless semi-dried up honey dew and cantaloupe melon (juicy citrus is in season in California right now). One of the yolks was broken in the poached eggs breakfast, and I am whining like a toddler... sorry. I just LOVE GREAT food, and I felt wasteful with 1/3 of the breakfast left uneaten.
Parking was included in our b&b package.
We ate at the brand new "Steamship Grill" across the street, and enjoyed the local fare and local beer.
We will return to the 'The Coast Hotel' on our next overnight to Victoria. But I will miss that lovely warm saltwater pool at the Grand Pacific.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank NettledaleFarm
EmoryHaines, Manager at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write and share some of your observations as we learn so much from our guests and their expectations.

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the service at check-in, doggie bed and treats and our central , close to it all location. Our research shows us that our pet fee is competitive with other, similar, properties in the area and it is a one-time fee.

I apologize for the duct tape, we are in the process of replacing all of the carpet in the hotel.

We hear from many of our guests that they love our beds and pillows and that they get an excellent night’s sleep here. If you had let us know that the bed and pillows were not to your liking we would have been happy to offer you foam pads for the bed and a choice from our selection of pillows. As well most of our guests are very pleased with our buffet breakfast and the wide range of options it provides. I do agree with you that fruit in this part of the world is not in season so, like our competitors, we get fruit that is in season from another part of the world. We offer citrus fruits as well from Southern California and would have been happy to present you with an alternative.

Our program has a strong focus on local food and if we have the privilege of serving you again please ask about the many wonderful local dishes that we serve.

Many thanks again for your observations and candid feedback.

Regards,
Emory Haines
Director of Operations

Reviewed 25 January 2014

There was a reviewer below who said that the beds were the best that they had ever slept in and it is true. The beds in the Grand are amazing, as well as the pillows.

There service was out of this world and the employees seem to express a genuine interest in your comfort and care. I was only there for two nights but felt like I was leaving a family, which is a nice feeling when you are on the road traveling.

The room was clean and well taken care of.

I took advantage of the valet parking offered. Being really cold in January, having the car brought around and started for you was a luxury I could really get used to.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank blueosa
Reviewed 22 January 2014

This hotel has an excellent location near the legislature. Good for evening walks. We arrived for a stay with our kids and pet, and were charged $50 for our pet, and when we asked for a microwave (we did not research in advance and brought some frozen food for our family) they were going to charge $10 per day for that too, on top of parking and the room (which was not a great deal) the manager (after arguing) relented only after I asked to check out so that we could check into a hotel with kitchen included, for less cost… this service soured our experience and was disappointing.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank VCRtraveler
elrosesk, General Manager at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments about our Hotel's location and the option that you can easily stroll around the Inner Harbour.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the pet, parking, and microwave fees. Please know that among luxury hotels in Victoria, we are competitive with the aforementioned fees.

As you acknowledged (in hindsight) it would have been your preference to stay in a hotel that was equipped with a kitchen, which we do not have. However, we do have microwaves and fridges available for a fee to accommodate special needs and light snacks. Our restaurant, café, and in-room dining outlets feature some of the finest cuisine in Victoria and this is the best place for your dining needs.

Please contact me at 1-800-663-7550 if you would like a list of nice hotels with kitchens in Victoria.

Thank you for your feedback and your patronage.

Kind regards,

Reid James

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I've stayed at this property many times over the last few years and have always been pleased. If you are arriving from Seattle or Port Angeles via either of the ferries, the hotel is across the street upon your arrival. The rooms are spacious, the beds comfortable, and bathrooms are well appointed. I find for me the question is always the Empress or here and I ended choosing the Grand Pacific as I prefer the larger and more modern style rooms. When I want to enjoy tea at the Empress its just a short walk out the front door. As there are many great restaurants to enjoy in Victoria, I rarely eat here, but have been pleased with breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I rather enjoy the cozy lounge and live swanky music when my plans allow me to relax there in the evening. I've used the hot tub and pool and they are after an interesting walk to get there depending on which elevator you take, clean, comfortable, but nothing extraordinary. Overall I find this to be a oasis of relaxation for me on every stay and hope that you enjoy it as well.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael T
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We booked a room at a great rate over New Year's. When we arrived, I discovered I had inadvertently booked a "Victoria Room," which was a neighborhood view, not a harbor view. The good news...as returning guests, we had already been upgraded to a harbor view (outer harbor) without extra charge on the top floor (we had requested "highest floor" online). No inner harbor view room was available at that time, but they worked out a room trade when one was available, for our 3rd night. Then we had a view of the inner harbor, The Empress, and the Parliament building, decorated for Christmas.

The accommodations were perfect - clean, roomy, high-end, and a great view. Our housekeeper, Milka, was so warm and helpful.

All of this made for a wonderful, relaxing anniversary celebration in Victoria.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ctomac
Reviewed 17 January 2014

The pool and gym were an excellent addition to our short stay. Breakfast was good, service excellent. An easy suggestion to make your hotel greener is to have small coffee creamers in the room fridges. Some herbal tea would have been nice too.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com